Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Finally - a real use for VACATION FEEDER TABLETS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Finally - a real use for VACATION FEEDER TABLETS   Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:28 pm

Early in my life as an aquarist, long before internet (cue the flashback harp music) I tried a vacation feeder, thinking it would be a great way to allow food to slowly become available to my fish while I was away.

I need not tell you what a mess I found when I returned, maybe because I used one that was too large, or I used too many - I don't recall. Anyway, plaster of paris in my tank seemed like a bad idea in the end.

I recently got a tip from a fellow aquarist that when propagating snails, a great way to feed them and enhance their shells is to use vacation feeder blocks/tablets. I thought this was genius, but only if it doesn't foul my water too much. My snails will put up with a lot in their little 10 gal but I don't want to cause more problems than I solve. I do a lot of PWCs in that tank to keep the hardness up in the water, since the tap water is naturally that way but the snail tank soon turns more acidic if I don't watch it. To supplement their shells I thought I'd try a vacation feeder and see if I see a difference.

Anyone tried this for inverts?

View user profile
kat12
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Finally - a real use for VACATION FEEDER TABLETS   Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:07 am

Yup, they love them. Regular human calcium pills or tums work too. What kind of snails?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Finally - a real use for VACATION FEEDER TABLETS   Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:22 am

I have always wondered about Tums! I was concerned about the mint aspect, but it may actually serve an antiseptic purpose, similar to tea tree oil.

I was told this by a breeder of various species, but he said it would work for any kind of aquatic snail. I'm raising ramshorns and am always looking for a way to improve their shell hardness. I've got cuttlebone in there now, which they seem to like, but I'll definitely try the feeder blocks.

View user profile
kat12
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Finally - a real use for VACATION FEEDER TABLETS   Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:01 pm

don't get the mint ones, get the fruit or plain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Finally - a real use for VACATION FEEDER TABLETS   Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:40 pm

@kat12 wrote:
don't get the mint ones, get the fruit or plain.  

I didn't know they had plain, so that's good to know.

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally - a real use for VACATION FEEDER TABLETS   

Back to top Go down

Finally - a real use for VACATION FEEDER TABLETS

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Planted Tanks :: Invertebrates-