Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: New Member   Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:01 pm

Hi all. I am so happy to find you. I am in the Farmville, Va. area. I have three fish tanks, and I am in the process of setting up a 180 gallon African Cichlid tank. Right now I have a 55 gallon tropical mixed tank, a 55 gallon African Cichlid tank, and a 30 gallon grow out African Cichlid tank. I just purchased a background for my 180 from www.universalrocks.com . If you need anything from them, enter the coupon code "African Cichlid Hub" for 15% off. I will put a link to my youtube video of my tanks below. I visit the Lynchburg area a lot. PAWS is awesome.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New Member   Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:15 pm

Welcome, I am also in process to setup a African cichlids (Mbuna) 125 gal aquarium. I am in Palmyra VA. I have never been to PAWS but would like to go some day. Did you get all the fish in the video from PAWS? My background and most of the rocks in my tank are from Universal Rocks -- they are GREAT!
I see you have a mix of Peacocks and mbuna. How long have they all been together? Any issue with mixing them?

Welcome to CVAS forum!!

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Member   Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:50 pm

Welcome, Fward!  
I hope you'll find CVAS to be a helpful and friendly community where we all exchange ideas and information.  Your set-ups sound interesting and please feel free to post more about them in the dedicated forums.  Very Happy 

A couple of our members have backgrounds by Universal Rocks.  (Ron, DL Lawrence, and maybe some others.)  I have heard only good about them!  

I wish I could visit Lynchburg and PAW more often.  Farmville is nice; I like Green Front Furniture and Charley's Waterfront restaurant.   great

Welcome, again!

Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New Member   Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:04 pm

@scruiz wrote:
Welcome, I am also in process to setup a African cichlids (Mbuna) 125 gal aquarium.  I am in Palmyra VA.  I have never been to PAWS but would like to go some day.  Did you get all the fish in the video from PAWS?  My background and most of the rocks in my tank are from Universal Rocks -- they are GREAT!
I see you have a mix of Peacocks and mbuna. How long have they all been together?  Any issue with mixing them?

Welcome to CVAS forum!!  

I bought a lot of them From PAWS. It is the best place I have found close to me. KGTropicals is on my list to visit. Snows every time I get a chance to go. I have had my fish for almost a year together. They grow fast on New Life Spectrum food. I have had no issues for my founding members of my tank. Just when you add new fish the Mbuna are really aggressive. I would say make a fish list of what you want. Then add all the peacocks and haps first. Then add the Mbuna last, and have them at a smaller size. Chaos theory is best, which means overstock, so once one fish starts chasing, he gets distracted by three others, and forgets who he was chasing. Add lots of hiding spots too. Also fish of the same color tend to be aggressive towards each other. I have a grow out tank that I just started, to give my new comers a chance, as all of my tank members are getting big. When I decide to introduce them I will take all my rocks out, and redo them. Good way to get a major cleaning in to. Then introduce about four new fish at a time. If you do one fish, every old fish will want to show him they are above him in the pecking order. So he will get bashed pretty bad, unless he can fight back. With the decorations being rearranged you will see you old fish staking out claims to the new areas, and they will not be as bad on your new fish. Also as you add them, feed your fish, and turn the lights off for awhile. I did have one peacock who did not like my new Peacock. I tried everything to get them to get along. The only thing that worked was to take the old peacock (the aggressor) out for a few hours and then put him back in. But this reset him to the other fish, and he became the abused one, and lost all his color. He is at the bottom of the totem pole now. Oh wow what a long post sorry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New Member   Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:05 pm

@Deb wrote:
Welcome, Fward!  
I hope you'll find CVAS to be a helpful and friendly community where we all exchange ideas and information.  Your set-ups sound interesting and please feel free to post more about them in the dedicated forums.  Very Happy 

A couple of our members have backgrounds by Universal Rocks.  (Ron, DL Lawrence, and maybe some others.)  I have heard only good about them!  

I wish I could visit Lynchburg and PAW more often.  Farmville is nice; I like Green Front Furniture and Charley's Waterfront restaurant.   great

Welcome, again!

Thanks! Yes I work at the great Greenfront and Charley's has the best crab soup in the world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New Member   Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:00 pm

Welcome to CVAS and the forum... Hello

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Angelfish Show Tank
(Angelfish, Guppies, Neons and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Growout Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Growout Tank
10 gal. Planted Bristled Nose Plecos and Guppy Show Tank
(Guppies, Bristled Nose Plecos and kuhli Loaches)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New Member   Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:54 am

Great to have you. Your tank and fish look great. PAW is my local fish store and I go there often, to the point where they now recognize me. I'm probably going to be adding more fish so I will definitely try out the advice above. There are some many knowledgeable people here that are always willing to share their experiences. Again, great to have you here and maybe I'll run into you at PAW.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Member   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Introduce Yourself-