Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

180 Gallon

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: 180 Gallon   Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

Getting ready to move my African Cichlids over to a new bigger tank. I have only purchased the background so far. But I am going with a 180 gallon tank. Any advice would be great! I love to save money to.

Background - RockyBackground This matches my local creek rock I use for aquascape.

Tank- 180 gallon Found one at PAWS for around $1,100.00 including stand and top.

Lighting - I am still working on this. I would think two 36" T5 lights with the bulbs that make the colors pop. One blue one white I think?

Filter - I really like the Fluval FX6 for around $339.00. I will be overstocking so this would give me enough filtration. Later on may add a few over hang filters.

Heater - I have a 300 watt Fluval already.

Substrate- i wish I could just do the white play sand. But I may have to splurge, and get the Caribsea all white sand for the PH boost. Not sure how many bags. Just need enough to cover the egg crate. As these fish tend to make a mess with to much.

Trying to decide whether to leave my Mbuna in my 55 and just take the peacocks and haps. They all get along as well as you would expect. But the Peacocks and Haps are just so beautiful!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:37 am

It arrived!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:39 am

New background arrived! This was called the rocky background from Universal Rocks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:41 am

This is my 55 gallon with crevice style background. Lots of brown algae. The crevice was more expensive, but the Rocky looks just like it almost.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:53 am

Sorry, I didn't get back on the peacock question earlier. If you like hybrids, they have some nice orange blotch ones. They have several tanks with hybrids. Is drsfostersmith going to rebate you the difference in the FX6?

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:13 am

I have the FX5 under my 150. It has a drain port at the bottom and I drain it down by 3 or 4 gallons (I attach a hose to the port and drain it into a bucket) before I can haul it out from under the cabinet. It is still quite heavy after that but doable. Kind of a pain but otherwise I love the filter! I think it holds 8 gallons, which is quite a load to lift over the bottom frame of the tank stand.

View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:17 am

If I had the extra cash, with the sale on that FX6, I would have one on the way. But, I have ordered more fish online and also have a breeding colony of German Reds at KGT so my funds are pretty depleted.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:42 am

@Nick_B wrote:
Sorry, I didn't get back on the peacock question earlier.  If you like hybrids, they have some nice orange blotch ones.  They have several tanks with hybrids.  Is drsfostersmith going to rebate you the difference in the FX6?

No problem on reply. I am a forum addict so i post to much. I saw thoe OB's last time. But the one I have has yet to turn Orange anywhere. He is nice though. Dr Foster was impressive on Customer service. I ended up ordering these LED So with the credit I just paid for one. So free, but not really lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:47 am

@Liz wrote:
I have the FX5 under my 150. It has a drain port at the bottom and I drain it down by 3 or 4 gallons (I attach a hose to the port and drain it into a bucket) before I can haul it out from under the cabinet. It is still quite heavy after that but doable. Kind of a pain but otherwise I love the filter! I think it holds 8 gallons, which is quite a load to lift over the bottom frame of the tank stand.

Yeah this FX6 is huge. I am trying to figure out what media to put in bottom trey. Wish there was a Nitrate remover you could just put in, and it would actually work lol. The FX 6 came with a hose to attach to bottom drain. Tonight I start my overhaul. Moving my 30 gallon over, then moving a 55 gallon across the room. Should be fun.... NOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:54 pm

Well Moved my 30 gallon tank over, and moved my 55 gallon right beside it. Wife freaking a little with one wall full of tanks. Promised to get rid of one once the big one moved to my empty wall. Fish are stressed from the move. My Red Fin Borleyi has cloudy eyes. Hope she recovers. Was not to bad as far as moving the tanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:56 pm

Glad to know the tank move went well.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:25 am

All alive today!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:54 am

Great to hear. Looking forward to seeing your pics. Good luck.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:53 am

Glad to hear the move went well and all fish okay!  IMO I'd let everything settle down for a couple of days before doing any other major thing to the tank.  

It all sounds like it's going great, though.  The UR background is really nice and even though I can't speak on the filter I will agree that Drs F&S Customer Service always comes through.  They stand behind what they sell and do not try to foist you off on the OM.  great

Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:53 pm

Took the plunge today and bought the 180 and stand. Felt a little sick and almost chickened out spending so much money. But pulled the trigger. Man this tank is huge and heavy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:07 pm

Sweet smell of silicone, cough... Background drying. Another perfect fit from Universal rock. No cutting just lay it in an go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:43 am

Any pictures yet?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:02 pm

Two big guys coming to put the tank on the stand tonight. Background is in, and egg crate down. Now for aquascape. I like the look of this tank. Going to try to do something like this I guess. Whatever the creek holds for rocks lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:28 pm

Starting to come together...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:03 pm

I wish I had known about the egg crate before I added sand.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:04 pm

I am jut paranoid about putting rock on glass. If you want you can use styrofoam under your rocks. That would not be bad to add.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:00 pm

The Styrofoam idea did get me thinking about a material we use at work called UHMW (Ultra high molecular weight) material. It's a very durable material used in high wear applications. Any plans to go to PAW? My wife gave me a gift certificate there as a birthday present. Planning to go this weekend.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:31 am

Have to pick my aquarium lid up sometime. Hate to drive all that way for that lol. May have to get some fish! Still need to get my sand somewhere. Wonder if any pool places are near PAW?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:49 am

There is a pool supply store in Lynchburg that sells the sand in 50 lb bags. I think the cost was around $15/bag. I bought 4 for my 125. It's on Timberlake.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:28 am

Cool Thanks. Do you remember the name? So i can just GPS it Playing with rocks now. Take a look and give me ideas lol.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:32 am

Wait Birthday? Happy Birthday! She knew just the right gift. They have buy one, get one half off on the fish. So really you could buy the expensive pair of breeding peacocks they have, and get one pair half off. So $90.00 for two pairs of large peacocks. Saw they had a nice albino pair, and a nice Electric Blue pair.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 180 Gallon   

Back to top Go down

180 Gallon

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-