Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Also new member

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chris M.
CVASMember

PostSubject: Also new member   Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:06 pm

Hello all, I live in Powhatan, Va, I just got into the hobby, i have just a couple of tanks, specifically with freshwater tropicals. Recently my sunburst platy had fry which i am keeping in a refugium attached to main tank, I am currently looking for a plant fertilizer that would have all nutrients needed , not just one nutrient, any suggestions? It can be liquid , capsule or tablet, just let me know if you have any ideas, Thanks, its a pleasure meeting you all!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Also new member   Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:46 pm

Welcome, oneway!  
We are glad  Very Happy  to have you join us here on CVAS.  Our online forum is outstanding for its friendliness and practical helpfulness, and our meetings every other month afford the hobbyist a chance to meet and trade goods with other members.  
Our next meeting is in May, so keep your eyes open for more details.  

As for fertilizers - potassium, calcium, and iron are the main elements to look for when choosing an all-around fert.  Flourish Comprehensive (SeaChem) is a pretty good liquid fertilizer and may be a good choice for you.  Flourish TABS are highly recommended by many who have tried them.  

Diana Walstad, a planted tank "guru," writes in The Planted Tank forum about how to use dry ferts:

Diana Walstad wrote:
The bottle of Flourish that lists small amounts of many minerals is trace minerals. Probably does not have enough iron, but everything else is there. Flourish Trace is almost clear, Flourish Comprehensive is dark brown.

www.aquariumfertilizer.com is a good source.

I dose this way
Macros:
KNO3 (Only certain tanks where the plants remove all the NO3)
KH2PO4 (small amount)
K2SO4 (lots)

Micros:
CSM+B (Equivalent of Flourish Trace or Comprehensive)
Chelated Iron

I would suggest starting with a pound of each (or whatever is the smallest amount- I think some are sold in half pound bags) except do not gett he CSM+B at this point. Use up the Flourish product you have on hand.

Iron is not a problem for shrimp, but copper can be. Do not overdose any fertilizer with copper, just follow the directions. This will not be an overdose unless your water is already high in copper.

Other members here will have their own input on this complicated topic; in many cases it's a matter of trying different things and finding what works for you.
 Very Happy

Chris M.
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Also new member   Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:14 pm

Thank you Deb, I will look for the seachem comprehensive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Also new member   Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:53 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris M.
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Also new member   Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:28 pm

Thank you verbal!! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Also new member   Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:56 am

Oneway, Flourish Comprehensive comes in a bottle and - depending how much you use and how often - might get expensive, longterm.  That explains the discussion above, which I quoted, about dry ferts.  A lot of planted tank folks go to the dry after a while of keeping planted tanks, because buying bulk dry is cheaper.  

How much and what you use will depend also on the type of plants you are growing, i.e., fast-growing, slow-growing, stem plants, crown plants, floating plants, plants with a rhizome, etc.    

You might want to read some in our Planted Tanks forum.  There are fertilizer discussions under Getting Started and Discuss Plants, and of course you can start your own conversation with your specific questions.  Very Happy

Chris M.
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Also new member   Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:23 am

Hello Deb, i was able to find the flourish comprehensive for around 17.00 which isnt too bad,because it included shipping, but i will go over the articles in the forum as well, I have a wide variety of plants, ( maybe too many, lol) anubis, swords, java moss, hornwort, wisteria and others mainly the ones that are easy to grow. Thanks again
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Also new member   Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:04 pm

Welcome to CVAS and the forum... Hello 

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris M.
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Also new member   Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:42 pm

Thank you JohnnyAMH
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Also new member   Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:58 pm

Welcome Chris M. Hope your enjoying the Forum. I like your idea of keeping the new fry in your refugium. Looks like your on a good plan with the Flourish. I hope your Platy fry do well in there. Certainly a good safe place. Make sure to post pics as the project goes on. We've got a few Platy breeders on the Forum so I'm sure they would love to hear and see what's working and how your success has been too.
Ron

Chris M.
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Also new member   Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:55 pm

Thanks Ron, I will update pics soon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Also new member   Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:59 pm

Welcome Chris!

Agree with Deb, flourish comprehensive is a good product and if you decide to stay with Fertz eventually you will look to the dry products to save money and provide greater options and better control of your fertilization based on the specific needs of your plants.

For your swords you will need root tabs, I've had great success with the oscomote tabs found on ebay, they are like $5.00 for 30 - way less than the major label brands.

Chris M.
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Also new member   Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:58 am

I will look into that, thank you  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Also new member   

Back to top Go down

Also new member

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1