Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

African Peacock Breeding and Zombie fish!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: African Peacock Breeding and Zombie fish!   Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:12 pm

Came home today and my best looking male peacock (Hybrid) was breeding with my Yellow peacock female. Also another female in the tank was turned into a zombie fish today. I fed them, and looked up to see her foggy eyed and it looked like her scales were gone. I guess there was a fight today while I was at work. Not sure if this had anything to do with the breeding pair. While they were breeding, my huge Red Fin Borleyi keeps getting in the way. I saw some eggs, so I believe they were picking them up. Hard to tell as the eggs are the same color as the substrate. Sort of exciting, but sad to see one of my fish hurt. Have her isolated in basket. Not sure she will make it. Makes me want a all male tank now though for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: African Peacock Breeding and Zombie fish!   Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:50 pm

Short video of the breeding.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: African Peacock Breeding and Zombie fish!   Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:23 am

That's weird! I thought multiple females was the way to go with yellow peacocks, for the safety of the females, actually. Was the injured female of the same species?

Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: African Peacock Breeding and Zombie fish!   Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:00 am

Well actually none are the same. The male is a mixed peacock tank pick. He turned out awesome. ANyone know what he is? (video above) The female he is breeding with, is a yellow peacock, who had yellow on her until later she became the drab female color. Then the one that was killed, (died last night Sad ) was another peacock with a little red on her when I bought her, but then became a drab female. I was hoping they were in the juvenile ugly stage. But I know the one is a female now lol. I have the lights turned off today. It seems all the males have gotten riled up, and are chasing the breeding female. I assume this is what happen to other female. To many males harrassing her. I am debating on whether to remove the female to my grow out tank. Will she kill my juveniles though is the question. Anyone need a female yellow peacock? If I go down the breeding road I do not see myself coming back lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: African Peacock Breeding and Zombie fish!   Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:34 am

Well, if you are certain they are females then I guess they are.  I was wondering if the fish you thought were females were IN FACT females.  Could they not have been juvenile males, or even sub-dominant males who subsequently lost color during the fray?  But I guess not.   Wink

surfersrevolution
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: African Peacock Breeding and Zombie fish!   Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:15 pm

My cichlids always get super-nasty when breeding time rolls around. I have to keep a close eye and even then not all of them make it. My male auratus is particularly vicious and has claimed 3 victims to date. Someone gave me a 10 gallon so he's going to be moved by himself when I get that set up.

Is your remaining female holding? If so she shouldn't bother the juveniles in your grow-out tank. Or you could always get a tank divider and separate her off into her own area either in your grow-out tank or your main tank so she can have some peace an quiet.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: African Peacock Breeding and Zombie fish!   Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:16 pm

Wow! I got excited viewing the video and reading the posts. You African Cichlids guys and gurls are daredevils... Laughing

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: African Peacock Breeding and Zombie fish!   Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:27 pm

As you mention the all male tanks do make sense in many ways and might be a great option for you.

You won't see the nasty breeding aggression in the all male set ups.

Are you breeding the hybrid fish or is it as a result of purchasing juvie fish thought to be males that are actually females?

Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: African Peacock Breeding and Zombie fish!   Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:17 am

@surfersrevolution wrote:
My cichlids always get super-nasty when breeding time rolls around. I have to  keep a close eye and even then not all of them make it. My male auratus is particularly vicious and has claimed 3 victims to date. Someone gave me a 10 gallon so he's going to be moved by himself when I get that set up.

Is your remaining female holding? If so she shouldn't bother the juveniles in your grow-out tank. Or you could always get a tank divider and separate her off into her own area either in your grow-out tank or your main tank so she can have some peace an quiet.

Not Holding yet. They keep trying though. Things seem to have calmed down. The male chases others away, but before he gets a few inches he gets chased. Thanks for the advice on if she does start holding. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: African Peacock Breeding and Zombie fish!   Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:18 am

@thegundog wrote:
As you mention the all male tanks do make sense in many ways and might be a great option for you.

You won't see the nasty breeding aggression in the all male set ups.

Are you breeding the hybrid fish or is it as a result of purchasing juvie fish thought to be males that are actually females?

Yeah was trying to do a all male tank. But a few turned female on me Smile He is awesome though. I would not mind a few more just like him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: African Peacock Breeding and Zombie fish!   Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:20 am

@Deb wrote:
Well, if you are certain they are females then I guess they are.  I was wondering if the fish you thought were females were IN FACT females.  Could they not have been juvenile males, or even sub-dominant males who subsequently lost color during the fray?  But I guess not.   Wink

Maybe. I have one I know who is a sub male. Everyone else seems to think they are the #1 lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: African Peacock Breeding and Zombie fish!   

Back to top Go down

African Peacock Breeding and Zombie fish!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Breeding-