Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Another microscope video

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Another microscope video   Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:44 am

So my son's new fish tank is having a little new tank syndrome, and the glass is getting a little hazy. I did a scraping to investigate under the microscope and I was very surprised at findings.

Entire fields of vorticella in a very small sample. Check out the video!

http://youtu.be/6sY3FSwlV2Y

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Another microscope video   Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:09 am

Very cool. Excuse my ignorance, but is this good or bad?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Another microscope video   Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:15 pm

I am not sure I know the answer to that or not!

On one hand, I assume its good for maintaining a good tank environment. These microorganisms help to clean up water by consuming bacteria and break down and recycle detritus, and maintain a small ecosystem like would be present in the wild.

That being said, it also could indicate that there are too many nutrients in the water and that I could experience bacteria and algae blooms that could get a little out of control. I hope that these levels of organisms in the tank help keep it balanced opposed to being a sign of poor water quality.

Maybe someone else has some insight?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Another microscope video   Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:24 am

How did you determine that it was Vorticella?  I agree it looks just like it but I looked it up after the fact!  How did you know where to start with ID?  I'm impressed.  Very Happy   

What is that huge weird thing at about 4:11 that looks like an elephant nose fish?  

I think one of the things folks might wonder when seeing these organisms is are they parasites? or can they harm my fish dierectly?

The majority of free-living protozoa have no impact on human health so I will assume the same is true for free-living protozoa in the aquarium, and that they have no impact on fish health.  Maybe Gerald will weigh in.

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Another microscope video   Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:44 pm

Yikes David your making me more and more afraid to own my aquariums let alone put my hands in there....  :afraid: 
Great vids and information. Truly thanks for sharing new information, I am really enjoying these and all informational posts from each member. Do we have a great club/forum or what?  Number 1! 

neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Another microscope video   Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:11 pm

Thats very interesting. I have been meaning to get a microscope so I can see what I have in my tanks Razz. I'm glad someone else is already doing this Smile. Not all bacteria or protozoan are all bad. In fact most of the pest problems we have in our aquarium is perfectly normal in the wild. You have to understand that most fish are perfectly fine living with bacteria or protozoan but their level must be kept in check.
Also I'm curious as what they do in your aquarium. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Another microscope video   Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:33 pm

The elephant-snout thing may be Dileptus, a predatory protozoan that eats other protozoa.
Your chances of seeing a parasite free-swimming are very small; parasites live ON fish most of the time. All those little wormy things you see gliding, creeping or swimming when you stir up gravel or overfeed a tank are scavengers, not parasites. That said, if you do a skin scrape or fin clip to look for parasites, you may see protozoa that ride around on fish but are NOT parasites, including Vorticella.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Another microscope video   Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:38 pm

Gerald, thanks for the ID! It does certainly look like a dileptus.

The single celled organisms (SCO) are certainly not parasitic or harmful to fish. They are so tiny! I don't think the fish are even aware of them. I am making assumptions (maybe poor assumptions) that these creatures are one thing the bamboo shrimp are filtering out of the water and eating.

In that video, the hundreds of vorticella, the dileptus, and everything else, that one video was taken from half a drop of water. The SCOs you are seeing range from about 10-40 microns (micrometers) in size. 10 micrometers = 0.01 mm. I think on Wikipedia is says that dust mite poop is about 10 microns. Average human hair is 80-90 microns diameter.

Since getting the microscope I have been immersing myself in the online information about identification of all these wild creatures. Vorticella is one of the more common ones that I was coming across, but there are still so many varieties of vorticella, I felt I was safe in calling that category out in this video.

I will continue to post any findings I come across in my aquariums here for people to see. After watching dileptus and voticella, and amoebas, the spider mites and nematoads that are also found in the tank looks like Godzilla monsters in Tokyo scaring the crap out of the SCOs.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another microscope video   

Back to top Go down

Another microscope video

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Photography and Videos-