Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Dehumidified Water - Okay to Use?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Dehumidified Water - Okay to Use?   Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:38 am

A couple of years ago I had to buy a dehumidifier due to my basement flooding b/c of septic tank backup. Luckily, my wife had been washing lots of clothes (daughter home from college, us back from trip) and running dishwasher...ie nothing floating around. I spent hours with a wet/dry vac, pulled up the carpet, fans running, and the dehumidifier. Saved the carpet and now this area is my fish room but my wife calls it her sewing/craft/scrapbooking area. She's just confused.

Anyway, to make a long story longer, I now run the dehumidifier periodically. Can I use the collected water as makeup to my tanks? It would seem that the water would be okay. Any thoughts?

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Dehumidified Water - Okay to Use?   Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:56 am

Nick I did a quickie Google search on this and the answers seem to be all over the place both pro and con. One common concern in particular kept popping up was that the distilled water that it creates lacks trace elements that help make your water PH stable. I think one of my biggest fears would be from copper or aluminum coils that home dehumidifiers use could perhaps leave some unwanted metals and even possibly oil residue that is used to protect the metal. Another might be the length of time it takes to fill the reservoir tank could possibly contain airborn contaminates or bacteria that you may find harmful. Interesting thought though as it is basically distilled water, it would not have some of the not so pleasant things tap water may have. I think as cheap as water tests are from laboratories that test well water it might be interesting to send a sample to see the results.
I'm sure Gerald will probably field this question as he has a wealth of experience in these matters.
I think an under sink RO system which is not very expensive would be a safer bet, but I too am curious on this one.

scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Dehumidified Water - Okay to Use?   Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:23 am

I have used de-humidifier water in aquariums. There is usually not a large amount and I have larger tanks. I also collect water from the heat pump in a big tub outside. I mostly use the water for plants around the house but have used it in the aquariums.

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Dehumidified Water - Okay to Use?   Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:34 pm

Water from a dehumidifier or AC unit is pure - just the moisture pulled from the air and nothing else, except any dirt/film/particles that lie within the discharge tubing/pipes in the case of the AC/heat pump.

I'd definitely use it (I collect mine from the AC unit in the summer and use it to water plants) and since a dehumidifier collection reservoir can be cleaned and you know what it has been exposed to I don't see any reason in the world not to use it in aquariums. It is, honestly, about as pure as pure water can be.

View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Dehumidified Water - Okay to Use?   Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:16 pm

Thanks everyone for the insights.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dehumidified Water - Okay to Use?   

Back to top Go down

Dehumidified Water - Okay to Use?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-