Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Treating camallanas worms with levamisole

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
joenels
CVASMember

PostSubject: Treating camallanas worms with levamisole   Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:51 pm

Anybody have any tips/tricks?I know I have them in my 75 gallon and probably have them in most of the other tanks due to swapping fish around.I got a packet of prohibit(levamisole) here and am going to treat tomorrow.Have read varying instructions and wanted to find out if anyone here had done it effectively and if so how.I have read 5 grams per 100 gallons and also 5 grams for a 75 gallon tank so confused there and dont want to kill anyone but the worms.I also have read to do a massive water change BEFORE dosing...not sure why you would do that.Also that it is light sensitive and the tank needs to be covered with a blanket?Any help would be much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Treating camallanas worms with levamisole   Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:08 am

Here's a good article that explains about them and how to treat. Looks like the meds used are toxic to snails, and shrimp so removal is recommended.
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/freshwater-conditions/camallanus-worms.aspx

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Treating camallanas worms with levamisole   Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:56 pm

As I had not exactly heard or seen this in my fish I was curious what to look for. Here's another link to show various pics of what this creepy little worm looks like and how to spot.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0LEVzTjD0xTSGQAYZJXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0bzBqdHR2BHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDM0Nl8x?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-327-s&sz=all&va=camallanus+worms+fish

neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Treating camallanas worms with levamisole   Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:27 am

eeehhh!!! After seeing this and doing a little research. It seems the best way to treat this is worm is through medicated food. This won't danger other inhabitant in the tanks.

Dewormer 3 has the same ingredient Levamisole
http://www.angelsplus.com/FlakeMedWorm.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joenels
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Treating camallanas worms with levamisole   Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:12 am

Actually the food will not do anything to kill off the eggs/larvae in the water column so a full tank treatment is necessary.I treated Sunday with the full 5 grams and saw no adverse reactions from the fish.The fish I had seen worms on expelled them throughout Sunday and Monday and now appear to be parasite free.Levamisole also has the added benefit of boosting the immune system and previously shy/lethargic fish are now out and about more active and seem happier.I am going to repeat the treatment this weekend and again in three weeks to ensure no eggs/larvae in the water column remain as the Levamisole does not kill eggs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Treating camallanas worms with levamisole   

Back to top Go down

Treating camallanas worms with levamisole

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Hospital-