Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Azalea Aquariums

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Azalea Aquariums   Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:33 pm

Azalea Aquariums

Address:
5112A Richmond Henrico Turnpike
Richmond, VA   23227

Phone:
804-329-5126

http://www.azalea-aquariums.com

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/AzaleaAquariums

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/
Steve W
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:34 pm

Very nice little store, with a lot of odd balls and unusual tropicals. Good selection of Rainbows, Africans, even some killies and monster fish. Prices can be a bit high but thats to be expected with a small independent operation. My only real issue with them is that so many of the fish are display only. While Display fish are great to have to generate some sales and to show people how they will look, too many takes away from such a small operation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:59 pm

I love Azalea, but you have to go in with an open mind - that's all I'll say about that....

If you take the time to examine each tank you never know what you'll find, and be sure and check out the tanks in the "bathroom," which is in the central room in between the two sides of the store. He often has fry growing out or other oddballs, and he'll sell them to you.

Also, there are tanks way up high in the hallway just off the main section of the store, and he does not mind if you use the ladder to peek into those tanks. Gems are often located there!

He will also take fish from you, and if you have grown-out fry you're selling Keith might give you cash, but most often he'll give you store credit. He is also willing to take orders if there are species you'd like him to get for you.

View user profile
marlboro red
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:34 pm

i will bite my tounge on this post because more then once The owner and myself hve bumped heads the last go around was over his "proven breeding show discus" it was 2 females laying eggs on opposite sides of the tank Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:29 pm

marlboro red wrote:
i will bite my tounge on this post because more then once The owner and myself hve bumped heads the last go around was over his "proven breeding show discus" it was 2 females laying eggs on opposite sides of the tank Rolling Eyes

Believe me, I've had my experiences there, and I have stories I could tell! In spite of that I've gotten some great fish there. I take what is said with a grain of salt and just nod and move along.... it helps to know what you're looking at, and know what you're looking for.

View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:02 pm

I loved this store during our short visit. It reminded me of a small animal jungle. It had the best bettas I have seen for sale in the Va area. The oddballs were definitely there and you just had to look for them. Not much of a place for equipment or supplies but I did like what they did with such a little space.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:17 pm

I agree he has interesting selections sometimes, but his attitude is very unpleasant, and his advice usually more opinionated than factual. I agree also he has too many display only tanks which is disappointing to see a fish you might want only to find he does not have. His dog Mabel is pretty cool though if you can get around her when she decides to lay down on the floor. Hard to walk in there as it is as so narrow.

Last edited by Ron on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steve W
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:58 pm

Over all i am happy with them. Other then a few drawbacks, and I can understand them as i had worked in Aquarium stores for a good many number of years. It is very hard if not impossible to be competitive with internet sales. That being said the store could use some updating, nothing major just some TLC. As for the display tanks, its a slippery slope. You want to have them to show off the fish to full potential but in such a tiny shop, those tanks are occupying valuable sales space that could be generating sales, not eating up resources.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:28 am

Who took the photos above? They are very flattering. Makes the store look much wider and cleaner than it is. The pic of the outside is quite a bit better than the actual look! It's amazing.

That said, I love I love you this store with its tiny rabbit's warren of rooms. The atmosphere is damp, the aisles narrow, the paved floors uneven but there is something exciting about peering into each and every tank never knowing what surprises await. I have seen the most unusual specimens there, mostly singles but sometimes groups, too. Some examples are the Burmese loach, Dario dario, tiny Kubotai rasbora, and woodcats - specifically, Centromochlus perugiae. These were the first woodcats I had seen anywhere, despite having read about them for the last twelve years!

I opted to be pleasant and deferential to the owner from the beginning and it has paid off. He greets me, is helpful, and sometimes points things out to me that he thinks I might like. He has never taken a "tone" with me. Laughing
Pam, his assistant, is very helpful and has a nice personality with the customers. She seems to be able to do many things at once! I would say she has a good general knowledge of which fish can go together in an aquarium.
Chuck is another assistant who knows more about cichlids. I have heard from cichlid folks that Chuck knows his stuff.
Very Happy

Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:31 am

Deb wrote:
Who took the photos above? They are very flattering. Makes the store look much wider and cleaner than it is. The pic of the outside is quite a bit better than the actual look! It's amazing. Very Happy
That would be me.. I wanted to be able to look at a photo of a shop to remind me what was in the store.
Back to top Go down
John & Joni
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:41 pm

John has been dealing with Azalea for many years, saltwater and fresh. I picked up a cute pair of calico Convicts for a perfect price. There is an awesome selection and the owner is knowledgeable...yet very opinionated. I just don't challenge him, smile and nod, bat my lashes, and I have no problems. I can definitely see him being difficult and grumpy, and have witnessed it. Some stuff is a bit overpriced. Most tanks are not labeled, unfortunately. I found some nice gems near the toilet...Golden Angel Rams are what he called them. Reminded me if balloon-belly mollies, which I LOVE! John said we shouldn't get any because they are South American and we have mostly African...got some pictures of them, though! It is disappointing when I find a fish I want, only to find out that they are display only. Too many tanks are "display only", in my opinion. I totally get the idea of breeding and showing adult fish...but to not have any of that type or species available for sale is disheartening...great selection, normal prices, and if you have the time to look close and crawl on the floor with a flashlight under the saltwater tanks in the middle room, wonderful unusual gems hiding everywhere!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koolaid68
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:58 am

John & Joni wrote:
I found some nice gems near the toilet...Golden Angel Rams are what he called them. Reminded me if balloon-belly mollies, which I LOVE! John said we shouldn't get any because they are South American and we have mostly African...got some pictures of them, though! It is disappointing when I find a fish I want, only to find out that they are display only. Too many tanks are "display only", in my opinion. I totally get the idea of breeding and showing adult fish...but to not have any of that type or species available for sale is disheartening...

Joni I am the same way. I have a tank full of Africans and SA Cichlids. Lots of people say I shouldnt have them living together. But, I like what I like. And they are all living together just fine. As for the "Display Only Tanks" I know what ya mean and I just out right hate it with a passion. :evil:
I have a store close by where i live and they really sell nothing but babies. And have two nice display tanks with some sweet adult fish in there never for sale. And they have a guy that works there and whenever i seen him in the store i just turn around, leave, and visit another store because his attitude sucks. I have stopped going to that store altogether. I am surprised that it is still in business. Suspect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEd9pbj9MGY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:19 am

Flippercon wrote:
Deb wrote:
Who took the photos above? They are very flattering. Makes the store look much wider and cleaner than it is. The pic of the outside is quite a bit better than the actual look! It's amazing. Very Happy
That would be me.. I wanted to be able to look at a photo of a shop to remind me what was in the store.

@ Flipp - Well, they definitely show the store to an advantage ThumbsUp which is important here with all the slightly negative talk.

-----
As to the display only tanks, I have been told more than once that if I'm interested in those fish to talk to the owner. Maybe they just say that to me but that's what I've been told.

I'm not sure I understand why some of you find the "Display Only" tanks to be a problem. Don't you find them attractive? Don't you think it's a great idea to see displays of how certain fish might act in the same aquarium with each other? Don't you think it's a great way of acclimatizing a difficult fish (i.e., the Burmese loach) before it's offered for sale?
Very Happy

Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:31 am

Quote :
Don't you find them attractive? Don't you think it's a great idea to see displays of how certain fish might act in the same aquarium with each other? Don't you think it's a great way of acclimatizing a difficult fish (i.e., the Burmese loach) before it's offered for sale?
Very Happy

Yes Display tanks are great for the Visual of the "Whats to Be ". It also makes some people upset because they are denied what they want. If it was looked at in a different light, it may change perceptions.
The Big beautiful display tanks put me in Amazement first, then I think about how I can accomplish such a display and maybe out do it. Very Happy
Gratification is much better when you achieve something from start. Sure I have a big EBJD that I purchased big, But the ones I have been growing out from fry are worth a whole lot more to me.

Last edited by Flippercon on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:43 am

Flipp wrote:
Yes Display tanks are great for the Visual of the "Whats to Be ". It also makes some people upset because they are denied what they want. If it was looked at in a different light, it may change perceptions.
The Big beautiful display tanks put me in Amazement first, then I think about how I can accomplish such a display and maybe out do it. Very Happy

Well said! This was my point exactly.

Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:50 am

My complaint about the display tanks there is simple. They don't offer all the same fish they have on display. I wouldn't want to buy the full grown version as I get enjoyment out of watching them grow. However it would be nice if they offered juvies of the fish they have on display.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:58 am

Ben wrote:
My complaint about the display tanks there is simple. They don't offer all the same fish they have on display. I wouldn't want to buy the full grown version as I get enjoyment out of watching them grow. However it would be nice if they offered juvies of the fish they have on display.

Very true Ben. That would make me upset if they did not have them for sale if they were displayed. Maybe this is the time to find these fish and breed them. That way you could trade them in for credit Laughing . They like them and don't have them so I'm sure they would do it.
Back to top Go down
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:08 am

I'm pretty certain most everything is for sale at Azalea including "display tank" fish........ and I'm also fairly certain they won't be the same price as the "regular" tank fish.

The display tank fish are usually the BIGGEST nicest fish and let's face it - everyone works for a profit.

So if you receive 30 Peacocks every Thursday and pluck 3-4 of the top lines for an increased profit is that wrong?

I'M NOT BUYING THEM - I'm with Ben, I like buying younger, smaller fish, less expensive fish and watching them grow.

Jeremy A.
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Tue May 01, 2012 11:29 pm

ive bought some cool fish there..its a bit expensive but the people are usually helpful..chuck knows his cichlids. i have at times felt ignored when i was in the store..spending money no less..i think the great selection of oddballs is what makes the store tolerable for me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Fri May 18, 2012 4:34 pm

Keith is rough around the edges no doubt but so am I. Maybe that's why he let's me have whatever I want even if it is in a display tank. LOL The only time he tells me no is when the fish are new arrivals that need to acclimate after shipping or are sick.

Just to echo other peoples opinions, Chuck knows his cichlids and they do have a lot fish not seen elsewhere in town.

Finally, they will take whatever fish or plants I bring in without question.

Nereus7
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:28 am

As I've been getting the lay out for the site etc, I saw this and reading through all the replies I have to say, I've gotten a pretty good laugh. I love Keiths attiude. The trick is not to take him to seriously, and then you're free to have fun with him. It'll bring out the kid in you getting a rise out of him. That said, there used to be a young guy named Jon who was cool but he went off to Law School so if you're easily offended just go to Pam or Chuck, they're cool. The dog's real chill too.

Other than that, good selection, pretty good quality, I'd trade five Petco's/Petsmarts for a fraction of an Azalea's. True, it's kind of like being in an attic, and when it's crowded there's alot of "excuse me, pardon me" etc. No biggie. I saw someone mention earlier about the bathroom and the first little room with the ladder, I've gotten some top shelf fish from those tanks, especially the bathroom. I found 3 Angelicus Loaches I still have to this day. Real Gems. And I didnt know the room was their until about a year after I started going to the store.

Whatever the case if you're in the area you should atleast check it out. (and have some fun ruffling Keith's feathers) I havn't been there in about a year and a half but I'm sure it's all the same. - Nereus
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:10 am

I've already posted my high opinion of this store here, but I have to say that Friday was one of my best experiences there yet. I'm looking to build up schools of some very small and unusual fish and Azalea has been known to carry all kinds of relatives of danio, rasbora, and other micro-fish from time to time. You never know what you'll find there. Friday I was able to pick up one stray celestial pearl danio (Danio margaritatus) and a decent size group of cardinal tetras. The owner gave me two things for FREE and came as close as anyone has to guaranteeing some fish that were sold AS IS. You can't do better than that, relatively speaking.

As well, I discussed CVAS with the owner. He posted one of our business cards on his wall and asked for a few to distribute to customers. This was his idea, so I hope it comes to something.
Very Happy

Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:51 pm

It's been a while since I stopped by Azalea. Do they still have a pair of N. pulchers in an 8 gallon aquarium sitting by the cash register? Keith offered to set me up with a similar tank but I passed on it just because of the size of the whole thing. Bigger is better kept coming to mind.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:59 pm

Anomala wrote:
It's been a while since I stopped by Azalea. Do they still have a pair of N. pulchers in an 8 gallon aquarium sitting by the cash register? Keith offered to set me up with a similar tank but I passed on it just because of the size of the whole thing. Bigger is better kept coming to mind.

They DO still have these fish in that tiny tank, and there are babies within as well. I too have raised an eyebrow at this setup, having kept a colony myself in a 40 breeder, but the fish seem happy and it seems to be working. It is a lovely little setup, in fact. I would have never considered it, and likely won't for myself, but it seems to be working.

I'm so impressed that they are able to stay in business in these times, and will continue to visit just to poke around and see what they have - you just never know what you'll find, and often there real gems to be had.

View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Jen set up our desktop tank after that same tank. Laughing
Seems to get quite the looks Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   

Back to top Go down

Azalea Aquariums

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Area Fish Stores - Locations and Reviews :: Central Virginia Fish Stores-