Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

First Loss

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: First Loss   Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:49 am

First topic message reminder :

Experienced my first loss  since getting back into the hobby. Lost my socolofi (pictured in my fish list) today (Sunday).  He appeared to be fine earlier today but when I went to check/feed tonight, he was floating.  If it's acceptable, I will post a picture.  It looks like the stomach is bloated/distended.  He was eating fine earlier, being somewhat aggressive as is normal for him, with no apparent issues.  I've read about Malawi bloat but thought it took much longer to lead to death and could potentially be cured in some cases.  I immediately checked all parameters and everything was within normal range for Malawi cichlids, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 15-25ppm Nitrate, 8.1 ph, 11-12 GH/KH.  I did a 50% water change yesterday (Sat.) and did remove my Yellow Blaze and put him in a 40g during PWC.  He did not seem to be eating.  Any advice or words of wisdom very much appreciated.  Really feeling bummed out tonight. pale

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: First Loss   Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:01 am

Things appear to be stable now. I had set up two hospital tanks to treat my Flavescent and Bi-Color who were not eating. Happy to report both are back in main tank and fully engaged when I go to feed the tank. I also had a Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos or Maingano female that started holding and I transferred her to a 10g. About 9 fry resulted, of which I can find about 6 now. I'm not sure how long I should leave her with the fry. It's been about two weeks now. I now have another German Red female holding. I need to transfer her out but both my 10 and 20 are occupied. I do have a 40 and 55 but that seems like overkill. Any suggestions?

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: First Loss   Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:53 pm

Nick_B wrote:
Things appear to be stable now. I had set up two hospital tanks to treat my Flavescent and Bi-Color who were not eating. Happy to report both are back in main tank and fully engaged when I go to feed the tank. I also had a Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos or Maingano female that started holding and I transferred her to a 10g. About 9 fry resulted, of which I can find about 6 now. I'm not sure how long I should leave her with the fry. It's been about two weeks now. I now have another German Red female holding. I need to transfer her out but both my 10 and 20 are occupied. I do have a 40 and 55 but that seems like overkill. Any suggestions?

Hey Nick_B I'm so happy to hear that you were able to persevere and your fish are now stable. It seems like you have a lot going on in your tanks. I t must be very exciting. My suggestion is to go for it and enjoy the good times... Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: First Loss   Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:03 am

I used a thick foam from anglefishplus to separate my fish in my 30 gallon.  Just have to sponge filters, one on each side for filtration. I have a third batch cooking in a egg tumbler that I may have to figure out what to do with lol. May have to move the oldest fry to a 55 gallon to continue to grow out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Loss   

Back to top Go down

First Loss

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Hospital-