Central Virginia Aquarium Society

CVAS is a social network and community resource for the aquarium hobby in Central Virginia!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to CVAS! ... Very Happy ... Check out the home page for News, quick links, and photos of our FISH and TANKS! Cool ...
Share | 

Azalea Aquariums

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Azalea Aquariums   Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

Azalea Aquariums

Address:
5112A Richmond Henrico Turnpike
Richmond, VA   23227

Phone:
804-329-5126

http://www.azalea-aquariums.com

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/AzaleaAquariums

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/

AuthorMessage
Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:50 am

My complaint about the display tanks there is simple. They don't offer all the same fish they have on display. I wouldn't want to buy the full grown version as I get enjoyment out of watching them grow. However it would be nice if they offered juvies of the fish they have on display.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:58 am

Ben wrote:
My complaint about the display tanks there is simple. They don't offer all the same fish they have on display. I wouldn't want to buy the full grown version as I get enjoyment out of watching them grow. However it would be nice if they offered juvies of the fish they have on display.

Very true Ben. That would make me upset if they did not have them for sale if they were displayed. Maybe this is the time to find these fish and breed them. That way you could trade them in for credit Laughing . They like them and don't have them so I'm sure they would do it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
thegundog

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:08 am

I'm pretty certain most everything is for sale at Azalea including "display tank" fish........ and I'm also fairly certain they won't be the same price as the "regular" tank fish.

The display tank fish are usually the BIGGEST nicest fish and let's face it - everyone works for a profit.

So if you receive 30 Peacocks every Thursday and pluck 3-4 of the top lines for an increased profit is that wrong?

I'M NOT BUYING THEM - I'm with Ben, I like buying younger, smaller fish, less expensive fish and watching them grow.

Jeremy A.
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Tue May 01, 2012 11:29 pm

ive bought some cool fish there..its a bit expensive but the people are usually helpful..chuck knows his cichlids. i have at times felt ignored when i was in the store..spending money no less..i think the great selection of oddballs is what makes the store tolerable for me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Fri May 18, 2012 4:34 pm

Keith is rough around the edges no doubt but so am I. Maybe that's why he let's me have whatever I want even if it is in a display tank. LOL The only time he tells me no is when the fish are new arrivals that need to acclimate after shipping or are sick.

Just to echo other peoples opinions, Chuck knows his cichlids and they do have a lot fish not seen elsewhere in town.

Finally, they will take whatever fish or plants I bring in without question.

Nereus7
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:28 am

As I've been getting the lay out for the site etc, I saw this and reading through all the replies I have to say, I've gotten a pretty good laugh. I love Keiths attiude. The trick is not to take him to seriously, and then you're free to have fun with him. It'll bring out the kid in you getting a rise out of him. That said, there used to be a young guy named Jon who was cool but he went off to Law School so if you're easily offended just go to Pam or Chuck, they're cool. The dog's real chill too.

Other than that, good selection, pretty good quality, I'd trade five Petco's/Petsmarts for a fraction of an Azalea's. True, it's kind of like being in an attic, and when it's crowded there's alot of "excuse me, pardon me" etc. No biggie. I saw someone mention earlier about the bathroom and the first little room with the ladder, I've gotten some top shelf fish from those tanks, especially the bathroom. I found 3 Angelicus Loaches I still have to this day. Real Gems. And I didnt know the room was their until about a year after I started going to the store.

Whatever the case if you're in the area you should atleast check it out. (and have some fun ruffling Keith's feathers) I havn't been there in about a year and a half but I'm sure it's all the same. - Nereus
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:10 am

I've already posted my high opinion of this store here, but I have to say that Friday was one of my best experiences there yet. I'm looking to build up schools of some very small and unusual fish and Azalea has been known to carry all kinds of relatives of danio, rasbora, and other micro-fish from time to time. You never know what you'll find there. Friday I was able to pick up one stray celestial pearl danio (Danio margaritatus) and a decent size group of cardinal tetras. The owner gave me two things for FREE and came as close as anyone has to guaranteeing some fish that were sold AS IS. You can't do better than that, relatively speaking.

As well, I discussed CVAS with the owner. He posted one of our business cards on his wall and asked for a few to distribute to customers. This was his idea, so I hope it comes to something.
Very Happy

View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/portal
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:51 pm

It's been a while since I stopped by Azalea. Do they still have a pair of N. pulchers in an 8 gallon aquarium sitting by the cash register? Keith offered to set me up with a similar tank but I passed on it just because of the size of the whole thing. Bigger is better kept coming to mind.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:59 pm

Anomala wrote:
It's been a while since I stopped by Azalea. Do they still have a pair of N. pulchers in an 8 gallon aquarium sitting by the cash register? Keith offered to set me up with a similar tank but I passed on it just because of the size of the whole thing. Bigger is better kept coming to mind.

They DO still have these fish in that tiny tank, and there are babies within as well. I too have raised an eyebrow at this setup, having kept a colony myself in a 40 breeder, but the fish seem happy and it seems to be working. It is a lovely little setup, in fact. I would have never considered it, and likely won't for myself, but it seems to be working.

I'm so impressed that they are able to stay in business in these times, and will continue to visit just to poke around and see what they have - you just never know what you'll find, and often there real gems to be had.

View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Jen set up our desktop tank after that same tank. Laughing
Seems to get quite the looks Shocked
Back to top Go down
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:08 pm

What species are they?

Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:27 pm

Anomala wrote:
What species are they?
Click here.
Back to top Go down
seaweeddeluxe
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:22 am

Best fish store in Richmond, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
direwolf82
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Tue May 28, 2013 7:35 am

I will not be going there again. after the owner has twice been extremely rude, including swearing at me after I asked about his driftwood selection, why would I support him? good luck dealing with him, maybe he will be nicer to you than he was to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Azalea Aquariums   Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:21 am

I have been a customer of Azalea Aquariums for about 35 years and I’m happy they are still in business. The store is all Keith and that can cut both ways… How he has managed to stay in business in this day of “big box pet stores” is amazing. Sure the prices there are not as competitive as I would like to see but most of the fish are well acclimated and conditioned. Dry goods can be found at cheaper prices. What Azalea Aquariums has going for them is priceless. These folk have a wealth of experience not found at the discount pet stores.  I can only speak from the fresh water side of things but the vast majority of information I have received there has been accurate. I can trust that when I buy a piece of wood from them it will be safe to put in my tank.

I think of Azalea Aquariums as a gourmet or boutique fish store. One can find fish there that similar to the ones in the discount pet stores but they are very likely to be larger and displaying more vivid colors. What you may find that you won’t find in the discount pet stores is fish that are locally bred. They also stock rare and hard to find fish. They stock Discus, Angelfish and African Cichlids too. You will also find high quality live foods. Maintained by people who know what they are doing. I think Azalea Aquariums may have more appeal for novice to advance hobbyist. Beginners may become overwhelmed by what’s not in the store and not what’s in the tanks. The facilities are rustic like that of an eclectic boutique clothing store. Keith has a no frills approach to aquaria. I would describe him as an extreme aquatic enthusiast/business owner. He doesn’t have the most developed social skills and yes he is very opinionated. What he does have is a passion for aquaria and a willingness to share. I can tell that he is aware of his short comings and see a difference in his approach to customers. He's good for the hobby. I try to appreciate him. I shop there... Neutral

Last edited by JohnnyAMH on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Azalea Aquariums

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next