Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Skoolz of Fish

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Skoolz of Fish   Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:37 pm

Skoolz of Fish

Address:
1503 Chamberlayne Avenue Richmond, VA 23222

Phone:
(804) 496-1481

http://www.skoolzoffish.com/

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/
esspea
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Sun May 20, 2012 3:08 am

This guy is my home boy he's a hell of a retailer..all around good guy, great prices, knows his stuff and goes out of his way to accommodate my needs ... If ur in central VA and into fresh water fish this is a guy u should know..he runs,how can I say? A aquarium boutique. No store front,no muss, no fuss, no random employees just plenty of fish and supplies. I usually go by appointment and he always makes time for me. He (Rahma the owner) must have unlimited patients as well because he gladly answers my million or so questions per month, in person, on the phone even by text. I like that he deals with me like a client vs a customer. I've been dealing with him since he was delivering fish and I'm sure you'll have the same positive experience that I've had.Did I mention the great prices?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigvince
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:26 pm

any 1 been here recently i have called once about 6 months ago and never heard back I emailed almost 2 weeks ago and still havent heard anything so im wondering if the store really exist i have only been to Cichlid Solutions the other stores in the area dont really provide a list of what they carry

im willing to try this plus but not sure dont want to drive there and there closed bth time i have tryed to comunicate i never received a reply

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoKBax29UJwqyzr6VNGVbBA?feature=
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:12 pm

Go to http://www.skoolzoffish.com and check when he will be in and specials. He also places every week in Craigslist his store hours on Saturday and sometimes Sunday.

Nereus7
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:08 am

Any luck BV? - N

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks for the link. I'd like to get over there and see what he's got in the way of central American cichlids.

bigvince
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:07 pm

im goin this friday coming up to get a gar will update you then

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoKBax29UJwqyzr6VNGVbBA?feature=
KGTropicals
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:34 pm

Lisa and I visited Rama today and had a great time!! He has a good selection and I love the unique way he has his tanks laid out.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://kgtropicals.com
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:04 pm

Are they still in business? I noticed the last stock list is dated September 7th.

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:29 pm

Yes he is still in operation. I was there about 3 weeks ago, and I still see his ads on CL nearly every week

Last edited by Ron on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:32 pm

If you follow Skoolz of Fish on facebook, you'll see he has gotten married this fall and is now on his honeymoon so he's been busy! He updates the facebook page regularly though as to what has come in. I still need to check it out now that he has "regular"hours
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:04 pm

Noticed on Rama's site that he has quite a few 2 for $5 plants...

For $10 bucks you can walk out with 4 different species, not bad.

bigvince
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:56 am

i got my gar here loved the pla ce i wonder if hes open today off to face book to see

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:45 am

@bigvince wrote:
i got my gar here loved the pla ce i wonder if hes open today off to face book to see

Have you been there recently?

He is definetly in a "grow your business mode", we need to support him and the other independents in our area's many of whom are listed and contributors to the club.

and...... if you ask he will try to get whatever you want.

ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:55 pm

Well I am pretty D@/* irritated with them.

I checked the store hours, and they should be open until 6pm on Saturdays.

I drove all the way down there with my son and they were closed up.

It was a crappy part of town, the building looked abandoned, and the only clue that they were ever there is a canvas sign about 2' x 3' on the side of the building that is faded and flapping in the breeze.

I will not be going back, good luck staying in business with a retail model like that.

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:43 pm

@ddavis1979 wrote:
Well I am pretty D@/* irritated with them.

I checked the store hours, and they should be open until 6pm on Saturdays.

I drove all the way down there with my son and they were closed up.

It was a crappy part of town, the building looked abandoned, and the only clue that they were ever there is a canvas sign about 2' x 3' on the side of the building that is faded and flapping in the breeze.

I will not be going back, good luck staying in business with a retail model like that.

That is frustrating. I've driven over there also to find closed. I know the part of town is quite dicey, but sometimes worth the effort when he's open. I learned to call before I go. He's only part time at a retail shop, and not always there when his ads say he's to be open.

Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:37 pm

I noticed earlier today his craiglist ad stated he was open 11-3 this past Saturday. I know it doesn't help at this point.

ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:32 pm

How do I find his Craigslist ad? Am I supposed to search the ad list before I go down there in hopes that he has posted hours differently? I also called before 3pm and still got an answering service and the phone service was sketchy as well. (it prompted me to speak my name and number for approval and i was interupted by it beeping again as I was talking and went to his voicemail)

Bottom line, in a struggling world of retail, his business seems lazy and sloppy. I expect web pages to be updated, posted hours to be honored, and store fronts to be maintained.

He might have some real nice fish, and I may be missing out, but when hard working folks like fin and feather and azalea aquariums are out there trying their best, I refuse to support a business that doesnt seem to care. I am not sure what the owner does when he is not running a fish shop, but it seems like he cant be bothered with doing normal things to aid in the success of a business. He lost a customer last weekend.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:45 pm

I hear you. Just telling what I know. Scroll above and see my question about Skoolz and what I learned. Not defending the place at all.

If you do want to check out the craigslist ads, google craigslist and click on the Richmond link. In the search box type aquarium. You will see an updated ad from Skoolz about once a week as I understand it.

Peace.

DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:01 pm

@ddavis1979 wrote:
How do I find his Craigslist ad? Am I supposed to search the ad list before I go down there in hopes that he has posted hours differently? I also called before 3pm and still got an answering service and the phone service was sketchy as well. (it prompted me to speak my name and number for approval and i was interupted by it beeping again as I was talking and went to his voicemail)

Bottom line, in a struggling world of retail, his business seems lazy and sloppy. I expect web pages to be updated, posted hours to be honored, and store fronts to be maintained.

He might have some real nice fish, and I may be missing out, but when hard working folks like fin and feather and azalea aquariums are out there trying their best, I refuse to support a business that doesnt seem to care. I am not sure what the owner does when he is not running a fish shop, but it seems like he cant be bothered with doing normal things to aid in the success of a business. He lost a customer last weekend.

I went by there this past Saturday. I usually, during my weekend early morning coffee/surfing the 'net session, run a search on Craigslist in the For Sale section for "Aquarium", and "Fish Tank". If you do that, you'll find his ad. I like to look for bargains on tanks and equipment. All three of my tanks that I currently have running since I got back into the hobby in August, I got on Craigslist. There's some interesting stuff on there- I got my 10 gallon quarantine tank at a yardsale via Craigslist for a couple bucks, and saw a dude walk off with a 90 gallon tank for fifteen bucks. Yes, you read that correctly, but I digress.

Anyway, I saw his hours in the Craigslist ad, and while I probably should have called, I went on down to check it out, having never been there before. Keep in mind, I'm in Bumpass- about 50 minutes away. But- he's only about 3.7 miles from AA, so I can hit them both on one run into town. Rama was there, and was a very pleasant guy. Apparently, he also does aquarium maintenance for people as well, and I did see there was recently a honeymoon in there somewhere. Certainly it would appear his hours have been unpredictable, or inconsistent anyway, at best. The place is hard to find- In fact, I thought he was closed also, until I knocked on the side (metal) sliding door- the entrance is not in the front of the building. I was pretty shocked at the number of tanks in here- you'd never guess what is in there from the outside. If you're into Cichlids (which I'm not-yet) he's got boatloads of them- and with my limited knowledge of them, I'd say it was a heck of a selection. He's also got some real cool discus, but that's later down the road for me when I can convince my wife we need a 125. Smile

I am into Tetras (or beginner fish, as I call them), and he's got plenty of those, too. There's some crazy rays in there also. He also has tanks, plants, rocks, chems, all kinds of stuff. His prices seem to be pretty good. Yeah, it's a strange place, but I had a pretty cool visit, and enjoyed chatting with him. He seems to be quite knowledgeable. What can I say- I like the quirky, eclectic and unique, and well...different. I guess we all have varying experiences at the different shops- I may never go back to the Fin and Feather, for example. The last time I was there, I couldn't get somebody to sell me a fish to save their life, much less greet me, and there were more than a couple "floaters" in their tanks. I left quite unimpressed, after hanging out in their fish section for about 20 minutes, not being approached by anybody. Who knows- maybe I just caught them on a bad day. I like AA, and actually kind of enjoy the occasional opinionated surliness you can run into there- it's entertaining. I guess I'd have been a bit miffed if they were supposed to be open and no one was there, so I can certainly see why that would be annoying. But then for me, it's only one stop out of two when I come into town.

Hey- I guess some folks are good at fish, some are good at business, and- every now and then- maybe some at both. I would put P.A.W. in Lynchburg in the last category. At SOF, I think that here's a guy with no business training or skill set, and very limited capital, who took a shot at turning his avocation into his vocation by opening up a fish shop- just my opinion. Good for him- he'll learn as he goes, if he can get his name out there, and try to build his brand, pay the bills, and maybe even turn a profit and survive. Certainly being closed during advertised business hours won't help his cause any, nor will his space and signage, and who knows what his personal circumstances may be. Individuals and small businesses advertise on Craigslist- you guessed it- because it's free. It's also a very bizarre place. Craigslist, that is.

I have no vested interest or motivation to help him out, or bash him either, for that matter (other than having another tropical fish store in the area, which is good for all of us, IMHO)- just passing on my experience there. Personally, I don't find his location any more or less "dicey" than AA's. With that being said, I would not go after dark, either- to Skoolz of Fish or Azalea. I have also found, through first hand experience in another hobby of mine (in which you get many parts, supplies, and accessories through small, one man shops), that I've been guilty, on more than one occasion, of mistaking lazy and sloppy (apathy) with simply being disorganized, and lacking any business savvy.

It's an interesting little place- I'd give him another shot, but that's just me.

JMHO, YMMV, TMNBFY (this may not be for you), YMTIS (you may think I'm stupid) and all other usual disclaimers apply. [i]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks for the info!

In his defense, I did not get out and bang on any metal doors. Maybe I will give it another shot when I am not toting around my 4 yr old son. Something about getting him out of the car and banging on the doors of "abandonded warehouses" doesnt seem like good parenting Smile

Did you notice if he had Hillstream Loaches?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
esspea
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:53 am

Quite honestly I wasnt going to post this comment but it was eating at me a bit...I felt slightly disrespected by some of the dicey, scary, ooooh dangerous location of skoolz of fish comments .Its located right next to VCUs newest housing facility and richmonds newest police station how dangerous could it be or do you just have a problem with the people?...How about unfamiliar, unorthodox location and unique business model.? I grew up all over that area and the folks of that community are no different from the ones in yours..they go to work raise their kids
Love their families and pay the bills, exactly like u ..just because ur not familiar with the surroundings doesnt make make it any less safe than ur neck of the woods...his shop is not a store front its boutique, call before you go, exercise some common sense and mabe youll find some quality in the experience. ..dont let ignorance paint u as a fool ..because some of the comments you made sound like u have learned everything u know about richmond and its people "off the internet"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:57 am

No, I did not notice if there were any Hillstream Loaches; however, I wouldn't know a Hillstream Loach if it came up and bit me on the rear end, so sorry I can't help there.

All the tanks are pretty well labeled with the inhabitants, and he did seem to have quite a few cool oddballs, so who knows- I did see some clown loaches- I can recognize those.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:10 pm

@ddavis1979 wrote:
Did you notice if he had Hillstream Loaches?

Last time I was there I didn't see any but he does have... Motoro Stingray's which look somewhat similar Wink

Sorry "D"..... been a LONG day and I couldn't help myslef - I'm lookin for a smile...

But seriously I have seen them in his shop and I know he can probably get them - let Rama know you are looking for them, he'll find them.

Never housed any Hillstream Loaches, but I love em' and I know they are in my future.... Very Happy

seaweeddeluxe
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:18 am

No one was there when I arrived at Noon on Saturday so I called and was told it would be another 10 minutes. hung out in the car and watched a couple of guys crack into their "40's" in the alley. Man, it brought back memories of being at VCU, blowing off class on Friday and drinking Mickey's Big Mouths all afternoon.....anyway I digress, checked the place out and was glad I did. Cool stuff, nice people and safe...once you're inside! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skoolz of Fish   

Back to top Go down

Skoolz of Fish

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Area Fish Stores - Locations and Reviews :: Central Virginia Fish Stores-