Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

What I've been up to lately...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
enrgizerbunny
CVASMember

PostSubject: What I've been up to lately...   Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:37 pm

I have an aquaponics system outside that has 6 goldfish that I purchased out of the feeder tank. Well, I take that back. Ultimately I purchased 9, but the first 3 didn't make it. The following 6 were purchased from different deliveries to the store and seem to be doing great. (much healthier when you get them the day after they arrive)

The system is finally cycled after starting in March indoors to moving outside and watching the water temp change from 70F to 50F the first night, covering my plants to prevent frost damage in APRIL. APRIL! Jeez. Our latest bouts of rain have allowed me to not top off, and in fact I've drained 5 gallons the past two days to keep it from over flowing.

Two of the broccoli have buds on them though, the spinach seems to be getting enough phosphorous finally as the purple stems are slowly fading and they're growing.

The 55 indoors is doing fine, although my tiger barbs are seemingly being picked off one by one. I found one dead in the plant, and I removed a skeleton of another- don't know when he died. So I'm down to 12 barbs, but the rainbow shark, pleco and gourami are all doing great.

Even though I don't have to, I take my nitrate rich tank water and add it to my aquaponics system when I do water changes every week, it also provided me the ability to do 2, 30 gallon water changes with only 30 gallons of water.

Oh, does anyone know of a 3-4" goldfish that needs a new home? I wanna grow tomatoes this summer, but I need a higher bioload than what I have now.

The ten gallon on my dresser is still running without stock- gonna get some platys, but finals are coming up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: What I've been up to lately...   Thu May 01, 2014 11:18 am

Sounds like you have been busy and having fun... great

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: What I've been up to lately...   Thu May 01, 2014 2:15 pm

Do you have pics?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: What I've been up to lately...   Thu May 01, 2014 6:40 pm

I'd like to see some pics, too, if you have any. Aquaponics sounds great. Just yesterday I bought a locally grown aquaponic lettuce from Tom Leonard's. It's gone now!

enrgizerbunny
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: What I've been up to lately...   Tue May 20, 2014 1:56 am

Sorry for the late reply. Finals came up quickly and I forgot about this thread.

I do have pictures, relatively recent, except I've ripped out the broccoli leaving just spinach and tomatoes.

The fish tank is 70 gallons and I keep about 68 in it, the grow bed is 50 gallons filled with expanded clay.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: What I've been up to lately...   Tue May 20, 2014 10:57 am

Thanks for the pictures. Now that's what I call recycling. That's one cool system... wave

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
enrgizerbunny
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: What I've been up to lately...   Tue May 20, 2014 11:24 am

This is one from this morning. Breakfast of cooked peas too keep them from getting constipated, they get fed every few hours when I'm home during the day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What I've been up to lately...   

Back to top Go down

What I've been up to lately...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-