Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Surprise For Me!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Surprise For Me!   Sun May 04, 2014 10:55 pm

Need advice and pretty quick....

Got home tonight after meeting friends at a local ice cream stand.  Started feeding the fish in the 125 and noticed my red jewel female hanging out in the back corner but the male had come around and was eating.  When I walked around, I saw many fry swimming.  To say the least, I was shocked.  CJ, the LFS section manager, had told me Red Jewels were not mouth brooders but egg layers.  I never saw any eggs, had no clue, and am completely un-prepared.  My wife wants to save them all, move all the other fish out.  I'm not quite ready to go that route.  I've attached a couple of pictures.  Any suggestions, advice would be nice.  Should I save them...how do I save them, what/how to feed.  I have a German Red colony and was preparing for that event.  I was planning to move the Red Jewels to their own tank at a later date.  I also took a video for youtube and will post back here with a link. Sorry for the chaotic note, this is my first ever fry hatching. Just a little excited and feeling a little overwhelmed with how to proceed.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Sun May 04, 2014 11:50 pm

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Mon May 05, 2014 8:10 am

Awesome!!!! Save me a red male! Smile If you want to save any fry remove them. They will get nailed. Or you will have some injured fish. May just get a ten gallon to grow them out, and turn them in somewhere to get store credit. Maybe get a tank divider?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Mon May 05, 2014 11:39 am

Nick -- a very nice surprise. Maybe a HMF sponge filter as a divider but a separate smaller tank would probably be quicker/easier.

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Mon May 05, 2014 12:29 pm

Congrats!  I would go with a small bare bottom tank and the sponge filter from that tank... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Mon May 05, 2014 12:46 pm

@JohnnyAMH wrote:
Congrats!  I would go with a small bare bottom tank and the sponge filter from that tank... Cool

I agree. Congrats on the spawn. Decapsulated brine shrimp is probably the easiest first food. Newly hatched baby brine shrimp and microworms are also very good options. Once they get a little size on them, they should take crushed flake food.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Mon May 05, 2014 4:05 pm

The red jewels are a beautiful pair and they must like your tank! great
If you want to save some fry, follow the good advice given so far.

Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Mon May 05, 2014 4:43 pm

Thanks everyone! I have both a 10g and 40g running empty now with barebottoms. I can take the sponge filter out of the 125 to use in the 40g (too big for 10   Crying or Very sad ). How do I get the fry out? I've heard some people just siphon them out. Also, should I put the parents with them or leave them in the main tank?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Mon May 05, 2014 5:16 pm

Hmm Turkey Baster? And nothing better than seeing the parents protect an raise there young. I think if you remove them from parents, they will spawn shortly again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Tue May 06, 2014 8:38 am

@Nick_B wrote:
Thanks everyone!  I have both a 10g and 40g running empty now with barebottoms.  I can take the sponge filter out of the 125 to use in the 40g (too big for 10   Crying or Very sad ).  How do I get the fry out?  I've heard some people just siphon them out.  Also, should I put the parents with them or leave them in the main tank?

A Turkey Baster works well. A soft fine net works too. I have used both. If you go with the Turkey Baster be gentle, too much force can cause injuries. Be sure to take the time to acclimate the fry to their new home. Good luck...   Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RansomAce
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Tue May 06, 2014 8:46 am

Wow, those fry are adorable! How big can they get?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
surfersrevolution
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Tue May 06, 2014 11:06 pm

I am interested in some juveniles once they get a bit bigger. Smile I love Red Jewels and I finally got my fry grow-out tank up and running.

Also I've used soft nets to move fry without too many issues, though I've also just used plastic cups to scoop them up in if I can get them cornered somewhere.

Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Thu May 08, 2014 12:15 am

I was able to move them.  Probably used the wrong method, siphon hose.  Didn't notice any negative effects.  Hardest part was catching the parents.  Now, I'm trying to figure out how/what to feed the fry without the parents eating the food.

I'm not getting notified of updates to the threads I'm following. It was working, but I just saw the last few post when I logged on tonight.

Surfer, No problem with getting some juveniles, provided I can raise them without losing them.

Ransom, I'm not sure how big as this is my first experience with Red Jewels. I'm sure plenty of others here on the forum have had them and also raised fry.

Fward/Johnny, I did look tonight at Kroger for a turkey baster but I thought $9 was a little too steep. May have to break down and go to W...art or the dollar general.

Posted update video to youtube...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris M.
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Thu May 08, 2014 6:17 am

Check your local dollar tree, I got a turkey baster there or a $1.00 cant beat that, hope all goes well with raising them, I used Hikari's First bites for my fry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Thu May 08, 2014 12:20 pm

@Nick_B wrote:
I was able to move them.  Probably used the wrong method, siphon hose.  Didn't notice any negative effects.  Hardest part was catching the parents.  Now, I'm trying to figure out how/what to feed the fry without the parents eating the food.

I'm not getting notified of updates to the threads I'm following.  It was working, but I just saw the last few post when I logged on tonight.

Surfer, No problem with getting some juveniles, provided I can raise them without losing them.  

Ransom, I'm not sure how big as this is my first experience with Red Jewels.  I'm sure plenty of others here on the forum have had them and also raised fry.

Fward/Johnny, I did look tonight at Kroger for a turkey baster but I thought $9 was a little too steep.  May have to break down and go to W...art or the dollar general.

Hey, I'm sorry I forgot to mention using a siphon hose. I have used that method and it is very gentle if the right size hose is used. I'm happy to hear it worked out for you.

I got my Turkey Baster from Walmart. They were so cheap that I got two. I have a large and a small baster. I use the small one for feeding BBS and the other for general husbandry...  Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Fri May 16, 2014 7:10 am

Came home from work yesterday and noticed my female jewel's belly appeared to be slightly swollen.  All is well, as she laid eggs two weeks after the last fry hatching.  I took a quick video.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Fri May 16, 2014 11:24 am

Congrats on the new spawn! If the ten gallon tank is up and running, I would move the fry to it...  Very Happy

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:39 pm

Updated youtube video on the Jewel Cichlid fry plus sick cichlid.

My previously unsexed Johanni spit out a couple of fry today, but quickly took them back in when I approached. She's in a 10g right now. I have another German Red holding. With the first German female that was holding, I waited too long to transfer her to a separate tank. Came home the day I was going to move her and her mouth was empty and no fry in the tank. I put my ailing German Red female into a 20g high. Don't know what to do with her. Has a sunken belly and hole in her side.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:56 am

@Nick_B wrote:
Updated youtube video on the Jewel Cichlid fry plus sick cichlid.

My previously unsexed Johanni spit out a couple of fry today, but quickly took them back in when I approached.  She's in a 10g right now.  I have another German Red holding.  With the first German female that was holding, I waited too long to transfer her to a separate tank.  Came home the day I was going to move her and her mouth was empty and no fry in the tank.  I put my ailing German Red female into a 20g high.  Don't know what to do with her.  Has a sunken belly and hole in her side.   

Congrats again, on the fry doing so well. I agree with you about moving the suspected fish to a hospital tank. With all that is going so well, why take any chances...  Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:07 pm

I would leave your holding female in the main tank as long as u can to let the male keep fertilizing the eggs. Seems I remove mine to fast,an they spawn multiple times, so the eggs have more chances to get fertilized. Maybe some experts can chime in on this,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:09 am

I'm getting ready to take the fry, not really fry now, to the LFS.  If someone wants a couple of them, my only requirement is that I do not ship (yet).  I can meet in the Bedford/Lynchburg area.  Please let me know by Thursday (7/10/14) if interested.  I have about 10 that I would give away.  The rest will help earn some store credit at PAW.  cheers .  I've posted a recent video on youtube.  Here's the link to my channel in case you are interested.  My Youtube Channel

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:15 am

How is the peacock doing now? That open sore on side is most likely a bacterial infection. The only parasite I'm aware of that would cause a hole like that is anchorworm, which no doubt you would have seen if the parasite had been there (they're big). If she dies and you're willing to do a necropsy, check the spleen, kidney, and liver for "granulomas" that look like sand grains - if they are present then Mycobacterium is probably the cause. For necropsy, it's better to kill her (in a container of ice water) before she dies naturally, so there's no time for decay-related organ changes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:50 am

She appears to be doing fine. I still have her in the hospital tank. She is eating great and the hole appears to be healing. I'm treating the tank with Nitrofuracin Green. It is a product I purchased from National Fish Pharmaceuticals. It's suppose to be a wide spectrum medication that is anti-microbial, anti-protozoan, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal. I'm curious as to if this would also kill my beneficial bacteria. I am reluctant to move her back to the breeding colony. I'm afraid she may infect the others. but I am probably going to move her to a 10 gallon hospital tank to free up the 20 gallon tank.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Surprise For Me!   

Back to top Go down

Surprise For Me!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Breeding-