Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Animal Jungle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Animal Jungle   Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:48 pm

Animal Jungle

Address:
4318 Holland Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23452

Phone:
(757) 463-4065

http://animaljungle.com/

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Animal-Jungle/134683824802

Cichlid Pond

Koi Pond

Brackish,oddballs, loaches

Cichlids and Large freshwater fish

Gouramis,Danios,tetras, plecos

Plecos,Plants,Angels and Corys

Bettas

Killifish,dwarf species,puffers....

Africans (left)Saltwater (right)

photos by
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Animal Jungle   Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:21 am

The Animal Jungle, in Virginia Beach, is a pet store unlike any other. My one and only visit to them was in May of 2009 but it made a great impression on me. Driving the two or more hours from Richmond I was up for something really special and AJ did not disappoint.

It's a huge place - over 30,000 square feet, so their website says.

Large parrots have their own carpeted playroom, with jungle plants and special perches and swings. It's a huge room - like a great big playroom at a toddler pre-school. Reptiles of all kinds are represented and each of them has their own large enclosure with custom facilities. A gigantic monitor lizard has a locked room to himself (visitors can look through a window) featuring a sculpted inground pool and plenty of tail-thrashing room. He's an impressive animal. My favorite, though, is the cerval cat. This beautiful creature enjoys a high-ceilinged room, with jumping-off levels built in to the wall. Climbing poles and scratching posts (it is a cat after all!) are added for the cat's enjoyment. A special handler feeds it. Should a cerval cat be offered for sale? I'm not sure, but this one seems well-looked after.

I haven't even mentioned the aquariums! Leave it to say that they have MANY and it will take a while to go through all of them. As I recall, some are set up with plants and other decor, including those expensive molded backgrounds, and some are simply large collections of a single species. The last time (well, the only time) I was there, there was a bank of 20 gallon aquariums devoted to loricariid catfish. There was no SmartPhone available to go on-line to verify ID, but each tank represented a different L-number, with one or two specimens per tank. For the hobbyist looking for a group or colony the single-specimen offering wouldn't be ideal. However, as an oddball pleco collector (no, I'm not the oddball - the fish are!) finding one specimen of a smallish pleco I can keep in the communities I have set up already, is a great opportunity. However, I would want to verify ID before buying.

Another type of display that was done really well was the paludarium, part water-part land displays, which were set up with plants and realistic backgrounds of natural materials. It's very much like visiting a zoo or a public aquarium, in many ways, because AJ takes such care with their displays and enclosures.

The dry goods section was as complete a selection as I've ever seen anywhere with many brands of foods in some hard to find varieties. For example, they had SERA Catfish Chips, a willow and alder wood food for wood-eating catfish. Food and supplies for all kinds of pets continued for many aisles.

I've been to Animal Jungle only once, almost three years ago, and that is what I found on that day.

KGTropicals
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Animal Jungle   Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:37 pm

I have been to Animal Jungle over fifty times and if I could be so bold, it is by far the nicest and coolest pet/fish store I have ever visited. When you walk in you have to enter between 2 gigantic ponds, one full of koi and the other catfish, huge oscars, pacu and a 20 year old stingray approx three feet in diameter. All of the aquariums are clean and well stocked (usually) and I found it interesting and unique that all of there tanks are individually filtered instead of a huge recirculating system.
Lisa and I spent a weekend in Va Beach and I took her and the kids (all 5 of them) to Animal Jungle and we literally spent over an hour and a half in there. I took the girls into the bird rooms, we held the birds, fed them and played with them, what a blast. I have never wanted a pet bird but after that experience it is a future possibility.
This is the kind of store you can go and just get lost, you will be shocked at all of the selection they have, they have the things you usually have to order online.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://kgtropicals.com
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Animal Jungle   Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:27 am

AJ is a weekly visit for me, most of the time I am there 3 times a week just talking to the employees and customers checking out any new stock or products they are carrying. They have been running the Wet Wednesday deal for over a year now, It is 25% off all aquatic live stock and plants between 5-9pm. The catch is if it ends in 8 its already at sale price but if it ends in anything else you get the discount. If you happen to go in there early or not during the sales you can always grab free advantage cards they have on the counter as you exit the store. The advantage card is a $2 off any $10 or more purchase. They have a lot of stuff under one roof! The advantage of having it all is there but, You can always save money by shopping the other stores and comparing prices. The selection of Africans is always a disappointment since they have all that space and they give more room to the common fish you can buy in every pet shop. The ponds I love watching and looking at the huge collection they have in there. The policy at AJ is no fish is caught out of the pond with the monster fish in it. We ended up donating a Jag to the pond and go back and visit it every so often. The pond consist of all kinds of big predatory fish from 2' Dovii, buttikoferi, huge midas, Flowerhorns, Jags, rays, and Red tailed cats just to name a few. They also have the big koi ponds around the back side of the store if you go through the pond room. This place is always fun to go to even if you don't spend money. It is like going to the aquarium for free.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
frodo11
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Animal Jungle   Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:34 pm

Time to kill before VCU NCAA baskets game on a Saturday ... took a ride from Richmond to Va Beach ... What a great store ... well worth the trip ... only spent 1 1/2 hours looking, could have spent more time ... go if you haven't been
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koolaid68
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Animal Jungle   Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:21 pm

I am glad you enjoyed yourself on our side of Va. Frodo11. So tell us, after 1.5 hours in Animal Jungle are ya now on spending restriction?? lol! There is no place like it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEd9pbj9MGY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Animal Jungle   Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:42 am

i'm riight there with flippercon! half the time, im just in there looking.. or talking to people who work there. Ed is a great help and definately knows his stuff! btw i just brought a rusty home from there that was holding like 2 days ago and she was looking pretty thin so i had figured she'd been holding for a while so i decided to strip her (i have an egg tumbler on stand by) and 13 litle fry swam out! i got 14 fish for the price of one... and right noww they have other fish holding, go check em out!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Animal Jungle   Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:50 am

Thats pretty cool, most of the rusties at AJ are from mpowers and dunesnstars.
Back to top Go down
Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Animal Jungle   Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:24 am

i know a couple of rusty breeders that recently went up there and dropped off like 20 so im hoping thats where they came from because i know they're pure. also, i have had 2 rusty's hold that were only about an inch and a half long. they breed very small. great for starters!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Animal Jungle   Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:58 pm

I was in meetings this week in Norfolk and stopped in Animal Jungle on the way home.

Man, what a place......

A cichlid pond!

A cerval cat!

A Hyacinth Macaw!

Rows and rows of tanks!

I'm still smilin'

Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Animal Jungle   Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:42 pm

So Animal Jungle is stopping Wet Wednesday beginning the New Year. So if anyone is looking for the deal, there is the 19th and 26th of December left for Wet Wednesdays.
Back to top Go down
Sanguinefox
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Animal Jungle   Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:54 pm

@Flippercon wrote:
So Animal Jungle is stopping Wet Wednesday beginning the New Year. So if anyone is looking for the deal, there is the 19th and 26th of December left for Wet Wednesdays.

I'm curious, is there any particular reason why they are stopping it? Or are you not allowed to talk about it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Animal Jungle   Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:06 am

@Sanguinefox wrote:

I'm curious, is there any particular reason why they are stopping it? Or are you not allowed to talk about it?
They really didn't give a reason why except "We have been running the special for a long time". I think its more of a switch up. They have asked for different ideas, so if you have any I can submit them and they will get looked at. Always good to get the customers wants in the business world. If you Facebook that is where you would most likely find the answer. They seem to favor Fb adn cupons now vs. the day specials.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Animal Jungle   Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:49 pm

Wow! What a pet store. I had never heard of this place. It looks wonderful. Thanks for posting and the pictures!
It's gonna make a great day trip... bounce

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Animal Jungle   

Back to top Go down

Animal Jungle

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Area Fish Stores - Locations and Reviews :: Tidewater Virginia Fish Stores-