Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Liz and Deb going to PAW

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Liz and Deb going to PAW   Tue May 13, 2014 2:57 pm

Hello, All!

Liz and Deb are playing hooky on Friday, 6/6 and taking a drive to Lynchburg to visit PAW. We had some trouble clearing a weekend anytime soon, so we decided a Friday was the best hope of actually making it there! We had to cancel our last road trip we had planned, so we're ready to get out there and see what's in stock.

If anyone else wants to go feel free!  Very Happy 

We'll probably get there sometime around noon, and then go get a late lunch, stopping back over at PAW to pick up any livestock before the drive back to Richmond.

fish fish fish

View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Liz and Deb going to PAW   Tue May 13, 2014 7:04 pm

Wish I could go. I went Monday and it was awesome! Take a picture of the all male mixed tank huge Cichlids they have. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Liz and Deb going to PAW   Tue May 13, 2014 7:08 pm

@Fward wrote:
Take a picture of the all male mixed tank huge Cichlids they have. Smile

You got it!

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Liz and Deb going to PAW   Wed May 14, 2014 8:29 am

This is going to be fun!  cheers  Liz and I first went to PAW in 2009.  A guy from Bedford that I knew from another forum gave me a list of four shops to visit.  Of the four, one was closed, one was a tiny mess, and one was a superstore.  We drove up to PAW last, expecting nothing, and were met with the best surprise of our LFS lives! *lol*  At the time, we thought we'd go back at least once a year but life intruded and we were only able to make one other trip, in March of 2012.  

So now in 2014 we are picking a day that works for both of us and calling it a CVAS Road Trip!  If any of you can meet us there, great!

Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Liz and Deb going to PAW   Thu May 15, 2014 12:21 am

I went tonight and they just received several different types of....Lobsters. I know that sounds crazy but I double checked with CJ to make sure of what I was seeing. I didn't know about fresh water ones. This was the first time getting them due to owner interest.They also had several new bulk food offerings from Omega, Hikari, and NLS. Also had bulk freeze dried bloodworms, tubeworms, krill. And some type of shrimp. Hope I can get free that day and meet you there.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Liz and Deb going to PAW   Thu May 15, 2014 8:33 am

Nick did you see on the African Cichlid row, the tank of all male peacocks? They are like $30.00 bucks each and they are huge! I hope they keep restocking that tank! I purchased four of them and they are fantastic! They are offering buy one, get one fish half off too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Liz and Deb going to PAW   Wed May 28, 2014 12:22 am

I did see the tank you are talking about. Not much left now. They had a small silver arrowana in tonight. About 2.5 - 3.0 " long.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Liz and Deb going to PAW   Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:50 am

Well..... How was the trip and what did you both find? Sure wish I could have gone, I love that place.

Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Liz and Deb going to PAW   Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:25 am

Survey Says????? I was thinking of going tomorrow or Monday. Wonder if they have any large Peacocks and Haps?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Liz and Deb going to PAW   Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:41 am

The trip was great!  We took the tiny Ford focus, to save gas, and loaded the back seat with hardside coolers.  It was about two hours and twenty minutes to get there but PAW is worth it.  

We spent all of our time there in the fish department, and took a survey of the pond area outdoors.  The pond area is outstanding.  Not only do they have all sorts of floating and marginal plants in large tubs, but they have a protected section of aquariums where they acclimate pond fish outdoors.  Very nice!

Liz and I met up with Nick B of this forum in the fish department, downstairs.  We took a tour or two of the tanks and discussed general aquarium subjects.  This is the life: hanging out with your fish buddies in a great fish department, just talking fish. Very Happy 

PAW is the sort of shop where you need to go around all the tanks at least twice, and three times is better.  There are many small fish that you might miss on the first pass.  For example, I never see all the catfish the first time through.  They hide in and under the big round sponge filters and are so hard to see, especially in the top rank of tanks, which you have to be tall or on a stool to really see properly.  

It all works out well, though, because going around three or so times is fun to do and we had the time to do it!  

I bought a group of blue Danios for my Asian tank, and a juvenile P. maccus, or clown pleco, to add to the group in my catfish tank.  Also got a sprouting red dwarf lily bulb, and a largish tiger lotus plant.

They sell SERA fish foods and I was able to get some Pleco Crisps, which are made with Alder wood especially for wood-eating catfish.  great 

It was a great trip and we enjoyed meeting Nick and his wife, Amy.  Nice people!  Hope to do this kind of trip again.

Sorry! I did not check out the peacocks or the haps.

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Liz and Deb going to PAW   Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:57 pm

Sounds like a nice tie indeed. Great to get out and just take your time, while especially having good company and enthusiast with you to learn and enjoy with.

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Liz and Deb going to PAW   Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:30 pm

Interesting ... I had no idea that wood has any nutritional value to fish. I thought it was just the algae, bacteria, fungi, protozoans & rotifers in/on decaying wood that the fish digested; not the wood itself. Do wood-eating catfish have symbiotic bacteria that digest wood, like termites do?

@Deb wrote:

They sell SERA fish foods and I was able to get some Pleco Crisps, which are made with Alder wood especially for wood-eating catfish.  
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Liz and Deb going to PAW   Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:40 pm

@gerald wrote:
Interesting ...  I had no idea that wood has any nutritional value to fish.  I thought it was just the algae, bacteria, fungi, protozoans & rotifers in/on decaying wood that the fish digested; not the wood itself.  Do wood-eating catfish have symbiotic bacteria that digest wood, like termites do?  
@Deb wrote:
They sell SERA fish foods and I was able to get some Pleco Crisps, which are made with Alder wood especially for wood-eating catfish.

Several years ago, Dr. Jay Nelson of Towson University carried out research using Panaqolus (then known as Panaque) maccus to show that wood-eating catfish convert wood into energy and will grow and prosper on a wood only diet.  His research and other research showed that wood-eating catfish, such as certain members of Panaque, Panaqolus, and one Hypostomus species, actually eat and process not only the cellulose layer but also the hemicellulose and lignin layers of wood.  

P. maccus uses its unusual spoon-shaped teeth (they look like linoleum cutters) to gouge through the bark to the wood beneath.  Its GI tract contains the necessary bacteria and fungi to break down and process the various components of wood.  

At the time, in 2006, I was interested enough to read everything I could on the topic, including the three PDFs of Jay Nelson's research papers, and other information supplied by his research assistant.  My own experience with P. maccus has shown that they can in fact live and prosper on a wood only diet, but that is not scientific research.  

The wood hypothesis used in Dr. Nelson's studies was the American red maple so I make sure I have some of that at all times in my Panaqolus tank!  besotted  Wood is not very nutritious, and the little plecos need to eat a lot of it which is why I do not rely on wood alone, anymore.  

Other catfish, primarily species of Loricariidae, do scrape wood in order to eat the creatures which grow on wood, just as Gerald says, but they are not wood-eaters, as such.  Very Happy

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Liz and Deb going to PAW   Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:44 pm

Neat! Thanks for your excellent research summary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Liz and Deb going to PAW   Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:14 pm

@Deb wrote:
The trip was great!  We took the tiny Ford focus, to save gas, and loaded the back seat with hardside coolers.  It was about two hours and twenty minutes to get there but PAW is worth it.  

We spent all of our time there in the fish department, and took a survey of the pond area outdoors.  The pond area is outstanding.  Not only do they have all sorts of floating and marginal plants in large tubs, but they have a protected section of aquariums where they acclimate pond fish outdoors.  Very nice!

Liz and I met up with Nick B of this forum in the fish department, downstairs.  We took a tour or two of the tanks and discussed general aquarium subjects.  This is the life: hanging out with your fish buddies in a great fish department, just talking fish. Very Happy 

PAW is the sort of shop where you need to go around all the tanks at least twice, and three times is better.  There are many small fish that you might miss on the first pass.  For example, I never see all the catfish the first time through.  They hide in and under the big round sponge filters and are so hard to see, especially in the top rank of tanks, which you have to be tall or on a stool to really see properly.  

It all works out well, though, because going around three or so times is fun to do and we had the time to do it!  

I bought a group of blue Danios for my Asian tank, and a juvenile P. maccus, or clown pleco, to add to the group in my catfish tank.  Also got a sprouting red dwarf lily bulb, and a largish tiger lotus plant.

They sell SERA fish foods and I was able to get some Pleco Crisps, which are made with Alder wood especially for wood-eating catfish.  great 

It was a great trip and we enjoyed meeting Nick and his wife, Amy.  Nice people!  Hope to do this kind of trip again.  

Sorry!  I did not check out the peacocks or the haps.

Congrats!!! Sounds like you guys had a wonderful outing... Laughing Laughing

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Liz and Deb going to PAW   

Back to top Go down

Liz and Deb going to PAW

View previous topic View next topic Back to top