Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Bloaty betta

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Bloaty betta   Tue May 13, 2014 3:04 pm

My lovely red betta, Rufus, has come down with a righteous case of bloat/dropsy. I'm not sure of the actual ailment, but he's been like this for nearly 3 weeks. He looks like a fancy goldfish, with the extremely bloated and pinecone appearance to his belly - quite disfigured! I'll try to get a pic - the ones I've taken are not coming out to show him properly.

I have tried peas and daphnia, neither of which he's very interested in (the daphnia was more to his liking). I use blanched, skinned and split/mushed peas for my goldfish from time to time to keep them "regular," lol and was hoping this would clear his system.

I have been doing small PWCs every couple of days, and have cut back to every other day feeding, though he goes 2 or 3 days sometimes, depending on my work schedule.

The tank is heated to 78F and is 5 gals, planted with crypts and anubias, and filtered with a Penguin mini. The tank normally gets 50% PWC weekly, so the water conditions are quite stable, and he's been in this tank almost 3 years with never a bit of trouble.

His behavior is essentially normal, and he is very eager to eat, begging me for food as soon as I get to work and walk in the room. He's not hiding, not acting lethargic or anything.

Wah!  Crying or Very sad 

View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Bloaty betta   Tue May 13, 2014 5:33 pm

Sounds like his kidney is failing, either from age or infection (or age-related infection); I doubt it has anything to do with constipation. 3 yrs is about normal for B.splendens. He may not recover, but he could live quite a while this way as long as you can keep him eating. Since it's now mosquito season you can treat him well in his (possibly) final months.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Bloaty betta   Tue May 13, 2014 6:31 pm

Thanks, Gerald.

I have never had a fish carry on this long in this condition, so I figured it might not be anything I can fix. He does seem rather perky, considering what he looks like! He doesn't have the appearance of a fish with infection, in other words.

He's been a good office buddy! Great idea about the mosquito larvae - I can definitely fix him up.

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bloaty betta   

Back to top Go down

Bloaty betta

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Hospital-