Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

I lost another!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: I lost another!   Mon May 19, 2014 8:20 pm

So as stated in an earlier thread, I have been a very long time without losses but recently, past two weeks I have lost 4 fish.

1 neon tetra
1 red eye tetra
1 black neon tetra
1 gold gourami

Neon tetra was first to go, I saw it swimming funny one night and the next morning it was dead.  No visible issues before that.

1 red eye tetra.....was not dead.  had a major crooked spine issue and seemed to be struggling a little, so I took him out and ended it

1 black neon tetra - swim bladder failure, lasted 10 days after I noticed the problem

NEW - the latest one was my gold gourami.....very unexpected and completely dead when I found him.  When I took the fish out of the water, it had a very tight and swollen abdomen.  I did a little fish autopsy and it appeared like the stomach was very tight and had pushed through the membrane (hernia).  I cut open the stomach expecting to have a lot of blocked food sediment pour out, but to my surprise, it looked like solid flesh.  Was it a massive cancer tumor?  Was the liver huge and I didn't know what I was cutting?  I have no idea, but it was very perplexing.  I can't emphasize enough how tight and compact it felt.  It felt like it was under pressure and ready to burst and looked like it had protruded out of the membrane but when cut into was solid material of a pinkish grey color.  

Sorry I didn't get picture of the autopsy, hands were a mess and I had kids still up and didn't get the camera ready.

Thoughts.

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: I lost another!   Mon May 19, 2014 10:06 pm

That may have been organ swelling from bacterial growth after the fish died. For a necropsy to be useful, you really have to kill the fish before it dies naturally, then do the exam pretty soon before decay changes the appearance of the organs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: I lost another!   Tue May 20, 2014 7:37 am

What is the tank stocking?

I would recommend an 80% water change. Keep an eye out for symptoms of an illness, but it seems in general treating without a diagnosis does more harm than good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I lost another!   

Back to top Go down

I lost another!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-