Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Losing tiger barbs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
enrgizerbunny
CVASMember

PostSubject: Losing tiger barbs   Tue May 20, 2014 11:46 am

Over the last 2 weeks for so I've lost 6 of my 14 tiger barbs. I find them stuck in my plastic bamboo plant, so I imagine it could be the plant, but other than that I can figure out what is causing this. They get bullied by the rainbow shark sometimes, but there was 14 of them. I've done a 95% water change on the 8th of may, 50% a week later, and I just did about 45%?(20gallons) this morning. I also did a very large gravel vac, took out the decorations that give the most cover and prevent vacuuming regularly. It needed it.

The first deaths were the ones with their tails nipped by the shark, because they won't stay out of his stump. The following deaths had some healthy looking fish, and the most recent one was very deeply tangled and all his scales were gone when I netted him out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Losing tiger barbs   Tue May 20, 2014 12:26 pm

Sorry to hear about your losses. A 95% water change is huge. I'm curious as to what prompted you to perform such a large water change. Was it catch up time? What are your water parameters then and now?  Crying or Very sad

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
enrgizerbunny
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Losing tiger barbs   Tue May 20, 2014 12:30 pm

JohnnyAMH wrote:
Sorry to hear about your losses. A 95% water change is huge. I'm curious as to what prompted you to perform such a large water change. Was it catch up time? What are your water parameters then and now?  Crying or Very sad

It was catch up time, I had neglected my WCS for little bit, so nitrates were high ~80ppm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Losing tiger barbs   Tue May 20, 2014 2:46 pm

Barbs are typically pretty hardy, I would assume that the abuse from the rainbow shark is the cause, however, I had a very different experience in my tank. The RS left the barbs alone for the most part but the barbs killed a lot of other fish in the tank.

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
enrgizerbunny
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Losing tiger barbs   Tue May 20, 2014 9:43 pm

ddavis1979 wrote:
Barbs are typically pretty hardy, I would assume that the abuse from the rainbow shark is the cause, however, I had a very different experience in my tank.  The RS left the barbs alone for the most part but the barbs killed a lot of other fish in the tank.

That's what I assumed until I had some that weren't nipped up die. Although the stress on the shoal is apparent without them being nipped. I've got them on CL for free, no replies. I'd like to move them to a 29 gallon and have a species tank, maybe get enough lighting to grow plants, etc. My other half wouldn't be too happy about it though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Losing tiger barbs   Wed May 21, 2014 10:07 am

Do you see any symptoms within a few days before they die? Color fading, lethargic behavior, appetite loss, bloating, redness around anus, cloudy eyes, rapid breathing, anything else ... ???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
enrgizerbunny
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Losing tiger barbs   Wed May 21, 2014 10:52 am

gerald wrote:
Do you see any symptoms within a few days before they die?  Color fading, lethargic behavior, appetite loss, bloating, redness around anus, cloudy eyes, rapid breathing, anything else ... ???

Lethargy and loss of appetite I suppose, it's hard to keep track of individuals.
They used to cower ina group near the substrate whent he lights were on, now that the numbers are reduced they don't do that as often. They didn't always do that. I really think it's the shark.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Losing tiger barbs   

Back to top Go down

Losing tiger barbs

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-