Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Back Into The Hobby with a 180 Gallon Tank

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mike D
CVASMember

PostSubject: Back Into The Hobby with a 180 Gallon Tank   Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:31 am

Dear Friends,

I've re-entered the aquarium hobby after 35 years.  A few weeks ago I came across a Marineland 180 gallon (reef-ready) tank for sale on Craigslist.  It was complete with a custom made cabinet.  I'd been snooping around some Discus boards and when the two came together -- well, you might say "JOY" came about  bounce 

The aquarium sits empty in my basement shop while I recover from knee replacement surgery done 2 weeks ago today.  Can't wait to tear into it and get it "running."  Not sure about many things like using well-water.  I live here in Charlottesville and we're on well and soft water.  

I raised Discus back in the early 70's while in grad school and have no further interest in breeding, but strictly in viewing.  

Shoot me an email and say hello, especially any who are close to me and/or who love Discus.

Regards,

Mike
Charlottesville, VA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Back Into The Hobby with a 180 Gallon Tank   Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Welcome back Mike! You will kick your self for staying out of the hobby for so long. I don't know anything about Discus. But I do have a 180 gallon. Grab yourself a Fluval FX6 for filtration. Also check out Universalrocks.com for a nice background and decor. Also let me know if you have any good pet shops around. I am about 45 minutes from you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Back Into The Hobby with a 180 Gallon Tank   Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:57 pm

Welcome back to the hobby.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike D
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Back Into The Hobby with a 180 Gallon Tank   Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Fward wrote:
Welcome back Mike! You will kick your self for staying out of the hobby for so long. I don't know anything about Discus. But I do have a 180 gallon. Grab yourself a Fluval FX6 for filtration. Also check out Universalrocks.com for a nice background and decor. Also let me know if you have any good pet shops around. I am about 45 minutes from you.

Thanks for your message.  This tank assembly came with a Aqueon MegaFlow Sump system.  It uses "bio-balls" and was keeping the aquarium very clean.  I'll need to tear it all down and get it going again.  The previous owner paid almost $500 for the filter system alone!  That sounds pretty high to me, but then again, I haven't been in the hobby for a long time.  

I'll let you know what stores exist here in Charlottesville.  I would love to have you visit and give me some pointers on this  180 gallon system.  It's called "reef ready" as it has pre-drilled holes in each of the two back corners for filtration.  

Would love to hear from you.  Drop me an email at my address below..

Regards,

Mike
Charlottesville
DrD at 2020 dot com
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike D
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Back Into The Hobby with a 180 Gallon Tank   Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:46 pm

verbal wrote:
Welcome back to the hobby.

Thanks "Verbal" - I'll be in it full time soon Smile

Mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Back Into The Hobby with a 180 Gallon Tank   Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:15 am

Welcome to the forum and back to the hobby. My daughter is going into her 4th year there in Charlottesville at UVA. During her first year there, we made at least two trips every weekend. One on Friday to pick her up, one on Sunday to take her back. Not my idea, good thing we don't live too far away. I'm near the Lynchburg area. Charlottesville has a small unique store. I cannot remember the name off-hand but it's the only non-box type store that I have visited in C-ville.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Back Into The Hobby with a 180 Gallon Tank   Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:48 pm

The store in Charlottesville that you're thinking of is probably AquaScapes.  
Here is a review by one of our members:
http://cvas.forumotion.com/t1288-aqua-scapes

Welcome to the forum, Mike!

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Back Into The Hobby with a 180 Gallon Tank   Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:15 pm

Welcome back Mike D! This is one cool hobby... Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back Into The Hobby with a 180 Gallon Tank   

Back to top Go down

Back Into The Hobby with a 180 Gallon Tank

View previous topic View next topic Back to top