Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Ramshorn infestation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
OneAkela
CVASMember

PostSubject: Ramshorn infestation   Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:50 pm

I have an overpopulation of ramshorns. I have officially declared war on them and want to get rid of them. I think they have something to do with my RCS population being wiped out to the last man.

Since I have friendly nerites in the tank as well, I am reluctant to bomb them with chemicals. Is there anything else I can use, or add a snail killer that will leave nerites alone? I don't have another tank, so I can't relocate the nerites. I can put them in a bucket with water, but I am not sure if that will allow them to live for however long it takes to get rid of my enemies. There would be no water circulation, such as in a tank.

I have tried attracting the ramshorns to zucchini slices and removing them, but there must be hundreds of the buggers, of all sizes. This is in my 13-gal planted tank.

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ramshorn infestation   Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:22 pm

Pick, pick and pick i.e. mechanical removal. Try a snail trap. Sera makes a good one. It is adjustable so the larger nerites will not get in (assuming they are attracted to the recommended bait of O-Nips) but the ramshorns will. Cut back on the amount of food you are feeding your livestock. Too much is probably going to the ramshorns. Assassin snails or any snail eating fish will go after the nerites. There really is no simple solution. You are looking at management not eradication. Just my opinion.

neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ramshorn infestation   Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:39 pm

You can also try assassin snail if they become a problem. I have always used assassin snails to control my population.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ramshorn infestation   Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:24 am

Clown loaches, but they will eat them all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ramshorn infestation   Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:28 am

I can provide you with a few assassin snails. If you give me you address, I will send you a couple.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ramshorn infestation   Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:50 am

I just pick out every one I see during water changes for the smaller tanks. In my 75, the polka dot loaches take care of them while leaving my nerites alone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ramshorn infestation   Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:36 am

Speaking of snails. I saw some Duckweed in my pond. When I scooped some up and put in my tank two snails hitched along for the ride. Anyone know what type of snails we have in Virginia waters? Are they dangerous to baby fish fry?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Ramshorn infestation   Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:59 am

Are you sure the snails you have are ramshorns?  I'm asking because ramshorn snails lay eggs in packets of about 6 or 8.  It takes some time for them to get to .dot. size and become free of the egg case.  It takes even longer for them to grow up to the size and number that you describe.  

Do your snails look like this?

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ramshorn infestation   Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:52 pm

Freshwater snails of Virginia:  http://www.fwgna.org/FWGVA/gallery.html
Many of these occur only in flowing streams.  The ones most likely to be on duckweed in a pond are Physa, Lymnaea, and ramshorns (Planorbidae).  They are not dangerous to fry after hatching, but any snail might eat fish eggs.  Assassin snails I would NOT trust with fry that are not yet swimming.  Fortunately we do not have escaped populations of assassin snails in the US (yet). Let's keep it that way.  MTS (Melanoides) and Japanese trapdoor snails (Bellamya or Cipangopaludina) have become established and are now big problems in some areas of the US.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ramshorn infestation   Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:03 pm

Wow, never have heard that about Assassin snails. I have raise assassins in my Angelfish, cory, and Discus fry tanks and never noticed a problem. I might need to research that a little more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OneAkela
CVASMember

PostSubject: Solved (I think)   Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:57 am

I introduced two Bolivian rams (both boys due to luck of the draw) and the infestation has disappeared. The adult snails are still present, but the population explosion is cured. I think the rams eat the eggs or the just hatched snails. I have never seen them do it, since I don't see any baby snails around. I do have adults dying every now and then. Don't know if it is their natural cycle or something else. Someone else might want to experiment with rams and report back...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ramshorn infestation   

Back to top Go down

Ramshorn infestation

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Planted Tanks :: Invertebrates-