Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Repaired Glass Top

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Repaired Glass Top   Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:47 pm

Just a quick note about a local glass shop that, I think, did a great job for me.  Last night, I was doing a PWC on my 29g Oceanic.  I had taken the top off, which was separated into two pieces.  The old hinge had broken after 20+ years and I had not put together the pieces with the new hinge strip.  Anyway, I bumped into the bucket holding the pieces and the back piece broke beyond usability.  Not even duck tape could resurrect it.

I asked my wife to run the broken piece by Cooke's Glass Cooke's Glass today to see if they could duplicate it.  Within 10 minutes, my wife was walking out with a new replacement piece and they even put the back plastic material back on.  It looked identical to the old Oceanic glass, frosted and smooth, seamed edges. I'm posting a picture of the new one.

The hardest part was putting the piece into the other side of the hinge. I enlisted the aid of my wife, and using a hair-dryer to heat the plastic material, the new piece of glass fit right in.

Maybe this wasn't such a quick note. BTW, they charged $11.00 which I felt really good about.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Repaired Glass Top   Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:14 pm

This worked out for you really well!  The price seems about right, to me.  When I needed an odd-size glass top for one side of my 55, Hart Glass, a local business in Richmond, offered me a choice of three thicknesses.  The piece was ready by noon that day and they charged me less than $10.  Since then, I've had other pieces of glass cut and the edges smoothed for similar prices.  

What I like about your story is how you figured out a way to get the glass into the hinge.  I took my whole Versa-top to the glass shop for a vertical cut and was told they could not cut through the plastic/vinyl hinge.  They tried to take the glass panels out to cut them separately, but could not get them out!

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Repaired Glass Top   Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:02 pm

I love some of my older equipment like my full Versa-tops hoods. Keeping them in them in good repair can be challenging. Thanks for posting...  Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Repaired Glass Top   

Back to top Go down

Repaired Glass Top

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-