Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

RCS love Indian almond leaves.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: RCS love Indian almond leaves.    Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:53 am

My shrimps love to comb over all the surfaces of an Indian almond leaf, scientific name Terminalia catappa.  They eat the micro-organisms that grow on the leaf, and then the leaf tissue, itself.        

After about two weeks, the leaf is nothing but a lacy network of veins and it's time to replace it.  If the expired leaf is left in the tank, the shrimps will continue to eat whatever grows on it but the leaf itself will collapse into mush and is hard to remove.  

These shrimps are in a ten gallon tank with celestial pearl danios (Danio margaritatus.)

Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: RCS love Indian almond leaves.    Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:59 pm

Do you boil the IALs to remove the tannins? I don't care if the water is stained. It's only temporary based on my experience but I want to make sure they don't harm the shrimp or filter bacteria.

I've read that celestial pearl danios are good tankmates for RCSs.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: RCS love Indian almond leaves.    Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:39 am

No, I don't boil them.  I believe in the good properties of whatever these leaves contribute to the water and do not want to remove them by boiling.  Using only one leaf at a time, the water has a very pale color - like green tea. *lol*  

The shrimp population in this tank is decent, but I'm sure the CPDs eat tiny baby RCS when they can find them.  It's a balance, after all.

Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: RCS love Indian almond leaves.    Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:02 pm

How many CPDs are in the aquarium?

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: RCS love Indian almond leaves.    Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:52 am

Only seven!  You would not believe how hard they are to find, and how costly.  So I've been adding them one or two at a time over the past three years.  One time I splurged and added three at a time, but two of the males fought and two died.  Can you believe it?

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: RCS love Indian almond leaves.    Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:03 pm

Deb wrote:
My shrimps love to comb over all the surfaces of an Indian almond leaf, scientific name Terminalia catappa.  They eat the micro-organisms that grow on the leaf, and then the leaf tissue, itself.        

After about two weeks, the leaf is nothing but a lacy network of veins and it's time to replace it.  If the expired leaf is left in the tank, the shrimps will continue to eat whatever grows on it but the leaf itself will collapse into mush and is hard to remove.  

These shrimps are in a ten gallon tank with celestial pearl danios (Danio margaritatus.)

I'm not familiar with  Indian almond leaf (Terminalia catappa). Is the a source available locally?  Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: RCS love Indian almond leaves.    Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:59 pm

Deb wrote:
Only seven!  You would not believe how hard they are to find, and how costly.  So I've been adding them one or two at a time over the past three years.  One time I splurged and added three at a time, but two of the males fought and two died.  Can you believe it?

Intraspecies aggression in CPDs? Never would have guessed that. I've seen them available at Azalea from time to time. Also online at several sites. Aquabid comes to mind.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: RCS love Indian almond leaves.    Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:14 am

JohnnyAMH wrote:
I'm not familiar with  Indian almond leaf (Terminalia catappa). Is the a source available locally? Neutral 

Johnny, I get my leaves from Jeff of Bettawan.  Jeff started off word of mouth, with an email address only.  He upgraded to an elaborate email form with photos and more options.  Eventually he developed a website and then a better website.  Last time I ordered from him I sent him an email, as usual. Very Happy  *lol* Liz and I both use almond leaves so we alternate ordering a batch of 100 leaves from him every so many months.

Donald wrote:
Intraspecies aggression in CPDs? Never would have guessed that. I've seen them available at Azalea from time to time. Also online at several sites. Aquabid comes to mind.

Yes, the males are very territorial and I saw them skirmish.  However, on that same day I fed blackworms to the tank and lost many of my Hara jerdoni catfish.  I blamed the catfish loss on the blackworms, but the CPD loss on aggression.  

Azalea and PAW in Lynchburg have been my sources for CPDs.  I see one here and two there; it's slow going.

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: RCS love Indian almond leaves.    Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:24 pm

When feeding blackworms to fish smaller than 2" long CHOP THEM UP SMALL! especially for fish that slurp and swallow without chewing. I have several times seen small cichlids, gobies and other fish die within an hour after gorging on whole blackworms. This has nothing to do with parasites, fat content, or "too rich" (whatever that means) -- its simply mechanical damage by worms thrashing around in the gut. The fish's stomach acids take awhile to kill the worms, and meanwhile they can do serious damage. I use a wood cutting board and steak knife, and chop the worms into 1/4 -1/2 inch pieces.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: RCS love Indian almond leaves.    Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:51 am

gerald wrote:
When feeding blackworms to fish smaller than 2" long CHOP THEM UP SMALL! especially for fish that slurp and swallow without chewing.  I have several times seen small cichlids, gobies and other fish die within an hour after gorging on whole blackworms.  This has nothing to do with parasites, fat content, or "too rich" (whatever that means) -- its simply mechanical damage by worms thrashing around in the gut.  The fish's stomach acids take awhile to kill the worms, and meanwhile they can do serious damage.  I use a wood cutting board and steak knife, and chop the worms into 1/4 -1/2 inch pieces.

This is a good tip and I remember you giving it to me when I got those native pygmy sunfish.  Cutting the blackworms proved to be easier than I expected and there was little mess.  
http://cvas.forumotion.com/t974p30-gulf-coast-pygmy-sunfish

Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: RCS love Indian almond leaves.    Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:36 pm

gerald wrote:
When feeding blackworms to fish smaller than 2" long CHOP THEM UP SMALL! especially for fish that slurp and swallow without chewing.  I have several times seen small cichlids, gobies and other fish die within an hour after gorging on whole blackworms.  This has nothing to do with parasites, fat content, or "too rich" (whatever that means) -- its simply mechanical damage by worms thrashing around in the gut.  The fish's stomach acids take awhile to kill the worms, and meanwhile they can do serious damage.  I use a wood cutting board and steak knife, and chop the worms into 1/4 -1/2 inch pieces.

I had a Green Terror choke and die after eating an entire earthworm. Shocked

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RCS love Indian almond leaves.    

Back to top Go down

RCS love Indian almond leaves.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Planted Tanks :: Invertebrates-