Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Hello All

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rhollo
CVASMember

PostSubject: Hello All   Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi All,

I have recently re-setup several aquariums and wanted to join this group. I was very pleasantly surprised to find an aquarium community for central VA now. Have had aquariums most of my life but had taken a break the last few years due to work travel.

Got the bug again when a Fluval Spec V was given to me and I thought this will be great for a Betta and some invertebrates. I have to say that the Spec V is a really cool little aquarium as long as you respect the limitations of the size.

My interest have always primarily been around maintaining planted (low tech) South American biotype community setups with non-hybridized dwarf cichlids and angel fish. Have been thinking about maybe trying some natives, the idea of collecting with my kid is appealing.

Currently cycling old Eclipse System 3 and 2 setups that were gathering dust in my shed. Converting them from power compact lighting over to Finnex Planted+ LED too. Never was a big fan of the power compact lighting, great for plants but the fish always looked washed out to me.

Recently visited Skoolz of Fish, what a great store! Required serious self-control to walk out of there with only 2 dwarf crayfish and a few moss balls.  Shocked 

Will that is my intro and happy to be here.

Also, are there meetings, dues, etc?

Regards,
Jim R.
Henrico, VA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:02 pm

Welcome back to the hobby and welcome to the CVAS forum. I am an Angelfish enthusiast. There is a great group of fellow hobbyist here. We do have meetings about once a month or so. Some members have gotten together for organized field trips. We don't currently have dues. Welcome! Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)

Last edited by JohnnyAMH on Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:55 pm

Welcome aboard Rhollo. While I don't have any at this time, dwarf cichlids are among my favorites.

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:14 pm

I keep dwarf cichlids (Apistos, Nanos, Julies, shellies) and native fish too ... welcome !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:14 pm

Welcome Rhollo, so glad you joined in. We have quite a few members who all share many of your same interests, and all of us will certainly welcome hearing about your experience. Feel free to post pics too! We love pics. Great folks here from the Novice, to Intermediate, Expert, Pro's and Breeders and such.
No Dues! We do sometimes have meetings, but mostly planned get togethers for fun, swapping stories, equipment, livestock, and such. We may be planning a cookout soon, and we will be publishing details as they come together. Watch the site for details.
Looking forward to hearing more about your setups, and sharing your experiences. Hope to meet you soon.
Ron

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:24 am

cheers Welcome, Rhollo!
Welcome to our aquarium community and a return to the hobby.  We are happy to have you with us.  
Planted (low tech) South American biotype communities are a big interest of mine, too, and I look forward to seeing and hearing more about your set-ups, as they develop.  
 Very Happy

Rhollo
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:18 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have attached a picture of my Spec V, apologies for the quality of the photo. I use to know how to take a decent picture, apparently I have lost that knowledge at some point. Will keep trying… Embarassed 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello All   Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:42 am

You are looking good Rhollo! I especially like the setting in which you display your tank... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello All   

Back to top Go down

Hello All

View previous topic View next topic Back to top