Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

RALEIGH: Carolina Aquarium Workshop - Feb 13-15, 2015

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: RALEIGH: Carolina Aquarium Workshop - Feb 13-15, 2015   Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:03 pm

The Raleigh Aquarium Society invites you to our 30th Carolina Aquarium Workshop on FEB 13-15, 2015, at the NC State Fairgrounds.  Our basic schedule of events is:  FRIDAY Feb 13: Afternoon field trip to collect native fish and plants (led by Gerald); Friday night party at Larry Jinks' house (with an amazing fish breeding room); SATURDAY Feb 14: Speakers, vendor displays, evening banquet, and after-dinner program; SUNDAY Feb 15: Huge Auction of fish, plants, inverts, and new and used equipment.  Saturday speakers include Paul Loiselle (NY Aquarium) , Stephan Tanner (Swiss Tropicals),  Dave Ramsey (Atlanta Aquar Assoc), Lynda Dirk (NCSU Fish Vet), Rachel O'Leary (Invertebrates by MsJinkzd), and our own Larry Jinks (breeder extraordinaire).  If you need a hotel, Ramada Inn on Blue Ridge Rd is just a couple blocks up the street, beside the NCSU Vet School.  There's plenty to see and do in Raleigh for any less fishy-inclined family members.  We look forward to seeing you in Raleigh in Feb!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: RALEIGH: Carolina Aquarium Workshop - Feb 13-15, 2015   Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:46 pm

Gerald, what's the cost for non RAS members?  I'm pretty familiar with the area, went to school in Raleigh for four years and most of my family lives nearby in Caswell and Person counties so I don't have to worry about a place to stay. Smile

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: RALEIGH: Carolina Aquarium Workshop - Feb 13-15, 2015   Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:27 pm

The winter weekend workshop (Feb 13-15) is $25 for members and $30 for non-members, kids under 12 free.  The fall auction (in 2 weeks, Sep 14) is Free for members and $5 for non-members, kids under 12 free.  At both the Sept and Feb auctions, members get a higher cut of the price for their items sold: 70% for members vs 60% for non-members, minus $1.  Annual RAS membership is $20 (includes family).

PS - Caswell County is my favorite place to go to catch redbelly dace and crescent shiners!

Last edited by gerald on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: RALEIGH: Carolina Aquarium Workshop - Feb 13-15, 2015   Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:25 am

I grew up in Caswell with my immediate family and many cousins still living there. I remember playing & swimming in several creeks but at the time, had no interest in fish other than catching them with a fishing pole. Hyco Creek borders and runs through the farmland that belong to my paternal grandparents. Still in the family. Maybe I ought to take a trip home and look in the streams. It would be nice, however, to have an experienced guide. Smile

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: RALEIGH: Carolina Aquarium Workshop - Feb 13-15, 2015   Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:36 pm

The Raleigh Aquarium Society's
30th Carolina Aquarium Workshop
Feb. 13-15, 2015
NC Fairgrounds, James Martin Bldg,
1025 Blue Ridge Rd, Raleigh NC 27607

http://raleighaquariumsociety.org/workshop/index.html

FRI Feb. 13: - Afternoon Field Trip, Evening Meet & Greet at Larry Jinks'
SAT Feb. 14: - Speakers, Dinner Banquet
SUN Feb. 15: - Huge Auction- Fish, Plants, Books, Tanks, Supplies...
(register at http://www.mygroupauctions.com)

Info: Chris Smith 919-698-2828, Todd Wenzel 919-791-7352 or email raleighaquariumsociety@yahoo.com

For the Friday collecting (field trip) we'll leave from the fairgrounds at 1:00 and get back around 5:30-6;00. We will either go west (around Durham-Hillsborough area) for Piedmont-region shiners, dace, darters, chubs, killifish, madtoms, etc OR we may go south into the Coastal Plain (bluespotted sunfish, killies, mudminnow, pirate perch, swamp darter, pickerel, ghost shrimp, etc). Will depend on weather and what species folks want to catch. Gerald will have a scientific/edcational permit to lead the trip, so you wont need an individual NC fishing license for this trip. You must register for the workshop to attend the field trip. Bring a cooler or bucket if you want to take any fish home.

Talks (Saturday):

Larry Jinks: Dealing with Livebearers -- From the familiar old-standby livebearers that aquarists have loved for the past century to rare and unusual wild species, master breeder Larry Jinks has experience with dozens of Poeciliids, Goodeids, and other families. Livebearers are not just beginner’s fish!

Paul Loiselle: Dwarf Cichlids: Cichlid Power in a Small Package -- The great secret of cichlid keeping is out - there are species able to prosper in twenty gallons of water! This overview of cichlids scaled for life in smaller aquaria focuses on the basic husbandry and breeding of both Neotropical and African dwarf cichlids.

Stephan Tanner: Plecos: Let’s Breed Them Before They Vanish -- The Belo Monte dam on the Rio Xingu put many unique plecos into the headlines. What consequences do we expect and how can we help? Stephan Tanner will discuss the natural history and aquarium care of the fascinating and diverse group.

Lynda Dirk: Water, Minerals and Fish Health -- How do dissolved minerals, hardness, alkalinity, and pH affect freshwater fish and invertebrates? How are various ions absorbed from the water and/or from food? How are different ions used, and how do animals maintain their mineral balance in hard-water vs soft-water? Why is "blackwater" from dead leaves and wood important for soft-water fish? Can salt or hardness cause reproductive or health problems for soft-water species?

Rachel O’Leary: Nano Aquaria: Ins, Outs, and In-Betweens -- Freshwater Nano Aquar
ia, fish & invertebrate species, husbandry, and obstacles to keeping animals and plants in very small tanks.

David Ramsey: Caring for the Cantankerous Ones -- Successes, failures and strategies with a variety of difficult fish species: those that are hard to spawn, hard to keep from killing each other, hard to keep healthy, egg-hatching problems, fry-feeding problems, and other troubles. Lots of videos.

Paul Loiselle: Aquarists and Conservation (after-dinner) -- Tigers, rhinos and pandas aren't alone in facing the threat of extinction. Freshwater fishes world-wide are menaced by deforestation, mining, groundwater pumping, pollution, and introduced competitors and predators. This talk discusses threats to fish habitats and biodiversity, and what aquarists can do now to help save the fishes upon which our hobby depends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: RALEIGH: Carolina Aquarium Workshop - Feb 13-15, 2015   Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:12 pm

So who's coming down this weekend for the Raleigh club's 30th annual workshop? (yes our 30th!)  The Braggs are registered; I hope other folks are coming too.  See post above for info.

Our Fri afternoon collecting trip will be around Durham-Hillsborough-Yanceyville area, where we expect to get Mtn Redbelly & Rosyside dace, Crescent & Rosefin shiner, Satinfin, Swallowtail, & Pinewoods shiner, Roanoke & Tesselated darter, Glassy & Fantail darter, Bluehead & Creek chubs, Speckled killifish, Snail bullhead, Redbreast & Green sunfish, ... etc.  It will be sunny but COLD according to NOAA weather.

The party Friday night at Larry & Joanne Jinks' in Wake Forest is not to be missed:  I can never decide whether Joanne's cooking or Larry's fish room is more amazing.  (You pass right through WF coming down from Richmond to Raleigh on US-1).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: RALEIGH: Carolina Aquarium Workshop - Feb 13-15, 2015   Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:20 pm

I plan on coming to the auction Sunday. If I want to sell, do I have to pre-register the items online or can I do it Sunday morning? I've already registered and have an account on the MyGroupAuctions website. I also may come Saturday but will not be able to make Friday due to a work conflict.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: RALEIGH: Carolina Aquarium Workshop - Feb 13-15, 2015   Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:07 am

Nick, I'm glad to hear that you will be able to make part of this great event! Let us know how it goes and if you can take a couple of pix to post here, do. Very Happy From the description above, it sounds as good or better than any multi-day aquarium event that I know of.

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: RALEIGH: Carolina Aquarium Workshop - Feb 13-15, 2015   Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:13 pm

We WILL have some laptop computers onsite to register items last minute, but we encourage everybody to register as much stuff as they can before they come, so we dont have a backup of people waiting to use the RAS computers. The Fairgrounds Wi-Fi was a bit flaky last year.

Looking forward to seeing you again Nick!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: RALEIGH: Carolina Aquarium Workshop - Feb 13-15, 2015   Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:57 pm

CAW-2015 was a great success. We caught lots of nice dace, darters, shiners, chubs, and others on the Friday field trip despite freezing weather: Ideal for low-stress transport (for fish anyway). Speakers on Sat were all first-class, very informative and entertaining. Party at Larry's and barbecue banquet at the Fairgrounds were both yummy. Sunday auction was well attended and ran smoothly, with around 400 items i think. I got checkerboard cichlids and some lights. Great to spend time with Braggs and Briggs again; Lynchburg folks sorry I did not get to meet you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lkelly
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: RALEIGH: Carolina Aquarium Workshop - Feb 13-15, 2015   Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:10 pm

Gerald, just a little bit of constructive criticism to pass on. I drove down to the auction Sunday after checking out some of the interesting entries on the website. Unfortunately several of the things I was after must not have made it to the actual auction. Of course I know that is the responsibility of the sellers, so not much could be done.

Anyway, here are a few suggestions:

1. Like the PVAS auction, maybe divide things up into color coded groups. That way it is easier to know when something may be coming up.
2. Also an issue with the PVAS auction, fish have a tendency to sit for a LONG time. The RAS auction was very heavy with plants and it pained me to see some fish expire in their bags due to poor bagging. It places a lot of stress on fish to be poked, prodded, and oggled so maybe getting them into the buyers' hands quicker would improve the transition. If buyers wanted to rebag or leave early with the fish, they'd have an option. There were a few that I wanted to bid on but they were still roughly a 100 (mostly plant) items in front by the time I left at 3:30. Even if I had won them they might not have survived. Like I said, it's also an issue at PVAS.
3. Although I'm not a plant person, others I know were interested. So many of the auction listings on the site just said "plant" in the description, so you might want to encourage more verbose listings. Again, a responsibility of the seller. I know one person who didn't make the trip because he couldn't determine which plants were actually going to be there.

All in all it was worth checking out. I thought Larry did a great job as auctioneer and it was neat to sit next to Dr. Paul Loiselle.

Please take the suggestions as kindly as possible and thanks for publicizing the event.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: RALEIGH: Carolina Aquarium Workshop - Feb 13-15, 2015   Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:39 am

Sorry for the late post. Attended both the Saturday seminars and the Sunday auction. The speakers were excellent and I especially enjoyed Stephan Tanner's (Swiss Tropicals) talk regarding plecos and the threat to their Brazilian habitat. I picked up several new fish from Batfish Aquatics and plants/fish during the auction. I plan on opening a new thread about those items. I also had the opportunity to meet Dennis and Susan Bragg. Dennis started the JRAS group and I am interested in starting a club here in the Lynchburg area and he was very informative and has been providing direction on how to get started. I also was able to talk with the Charlotte, NC leader. He, as well, was very helpful.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RALEIGH: Carolina Aquarium Workshop - Feb 13-15, 2015   

Back to top Go down

RALEIGH: Carolina Aquarium Workshop - Feb 13-15, 2015

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: What's Going On?-