Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Howdy... Newbie here

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Howdy... Newbie here   Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:41 am

Just wanted to say hello. Also want to say sorry for my writing style up front.

I'm new to the aquarium world. My family had a outside Goldfish pond growing up(fish started out at about 2" long with fan tails and grew to be 6-8" long an breeding in the pond) and i have always loved going to aquariums. It never really dawned on me to get one of my own for the house till i found my old iguana tank from when i was a kid at my mothers house with my kids(ages 7, 4 and 1). So i started looking for parts to turn that tank into a aquarium. I soon realized it would be cheaper to buy a new outfit than to upgraded that one as well as to get one that would fit better in its final location. I turned to Craigslist an sold my old tank and was able to pickup a new setup on sale at one of the big chain stores for what i sold my tank setup for. I really wish i could have found a good used setup on Craigslist. They were either huge tanks or out of my price range. Doing this on a tight budget.

I have started my tanks setup cycle using live plants and 3 Zebra Danios. My setup consists of a 20 gallon Marineland 20 gallon starter kit, 15# bag of floramax substrate, 50# bag of all purpose sand(used about 1/3 of the bag), river rocks from my local river(I cleaned them via a few forum suggestions and YouTube videos), a water test kit which should be coming in via UPS tomorrow, and some java ferns an a couple other plants i can't think of the name of right now.  

This is right after adding the water on Saturday. I added the 3 Zebra Danios yesterday(Sunday) afternoon from local pet store. PAW is great and my oldest son had a ball looking at all the different fish. Once cycled we are still trying to figure out what types of fish to put into the tank. I'm thinking some Neon Tetras, and some male Guppies. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Howdy... Newbie here   Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:52 am

Howdy, Cholt! Very Happy

Welcome to the Central Virginia Aquarium Community and welcome to the hobby!  

As soon as I saw you were from Lynchburg I thought of PAW.  That is some great LFS to have on your doorstep.  A few of us from the Richmond area have made day trips to that shop and we only have good things to say.  See here:  http://cvas.forumotion.com/t198-pet-aquatic-warehouse-paw  

But you know all that living right in the same town!  

Congrats on setting up this new tank.  Craigslist is a good resource for used set-ups but the prices are not always the best.  It pays to check in with them often, so I'm told.

From the looks of your tank in progress, you are off to a good start! great  If I can just make a suggestion - which might be hard to follow, but try! - please do not add any more fish until your tank is fully cycled.  Use the test kits and make sure you are showing 0 for ammonia and nitrites.  It may take a couple of weeks, three weeks - use the kits and monitor it.  

The danios will probably make it through the cycle but they are more than enough bioload for now.  The plants will help with uptaking ammonia, but if you add too many plants your tank will never cycle.  So keep things the way they are for now.  Others will chime in here with more advice, and you can take their word for what they have to say, we have a great bunch of members here.  

A few of our members live in your area, Nick B comes to mind.  

Hope you enjoy being a member here and please keep posting your progress.  We love the new comers and want to help if we can!
Very Happy

ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Howdy... Newbie here   Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:58 am

there are three fish that come to mind in your tank set up. I recommend these fish for long term satisfaction. All of them are active swimmers, enthusiastic eaters, and hardy fish.

#1 - Tiger barbs *warning* semi-agressive, may kill other fish in tank. Min school (8-10)

#2 - Giant Danios - Yellow and silver, active swimmers

#3 - Lamp-eye/Red-Eye Tetras - Silver black and red eyes. Good eaters

Also recommend 2-3 cory cats for bottom scavengers. I find Salt and pepper cories or sterbai cories are the best fits for my tanks.

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Howdy... Newbie here   Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:10 am

Thanks for the advice Deb. I'm not planning on adding anymore fish till the tank is fully cycled and then only adding a few in at a time so i don't over load the ecosystem. This well be harder on my kids then me i think.

ddavis thanks for the suggestions as well

Chris
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Howdy... Newbie here   Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:11 pm

Welcome to the hobby, this forum and CVAC...Hello

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Howdy... Newbie here   Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:00 pm

Just want to comment on Deb's point: She's talking about nitrifying bacteria of course, and they wont grow if plants are eating up all the ammonia (fish waste). However, from the fish's perspective, who cares? As long as something is eating up the ammonia (either bacteria, plants, or both) the problem is solved. You don't need a bacterial "cycle" at all if there's enough plants (and appropriate light) to match the animals' ammonia output.

@Deb wrote:
 The plants will help with uptaking ammonia, but if you add too many plants your tank will never cycle.  
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Howdy... Newbie here   Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:19 pm

Welcome.  Sorry I have not responded sooner.  As Deb wrote above, PAW is also my lfs.  I live in the Goode area and if you need anything, just pm through the forum here and I can send you my number.  As for the fishless cycle, it took me awhile to locate ammonia without surfactants.  True Value on 221 has it but I have a lot left over that I would be glad to share.  The guys at PAW recognize me by sight, which means I go there too often and spend too much money.  I was able to supply them with the Red Jewel cichlids and some Mainganos.  CJ and Paul are very knowledgeable in freshwater and most of the other people are very helpful as you know by now.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Howdy... Newbie here   Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:57 pm

Thanks for the welcome Nick. The guys at PAW don't know me very well yet. I have only bought 3 little Danios from them so far. I ended up doing a tank cycle with fish(where the Zebra Danios come into play). I'm still working on what else to put in the tank once cycled. that is a different post i have on here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Howdy... Newbie here   

Back to top Go down

Howdy... Newbie here

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Introduce Yourself-