Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what kind of fish to put into my first 20g setup. Right now the tank has 3 zebra danios in it while the tank cycles(still in the first week). this tank has about 20 small plants in it that will grow to be a nice planted tank i hope. i have read so many different things I'm not sure what to put in the tank or how many of each. any suggestions would be great. i like the look of neon tetras or similar. I was thinking of getting a julii, green, and maybe a bumblebee cory for the bottom of the tank. do think they would school together? Other than that I'm just not sure.

thanks
Chris
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:56 pm

Update on the tank. I'm down to 2 guppies and 2 Danios. the part i want to scream about is my mother bought 7 peppered cories and put them into my tank while she was watching my kiddos for my wife and I. So i came home to more fish in my tank that was still under distress Mad . the GOOD news is that all the fish that are in there now seem to be happy Very Happy . The tank seems to be leveling out from what i can tell now. As of yesterday the pH between 7 and 7.2, Ammonia was at .25, Nitrites 0, Nitrates were at around 5. Will be doing a small WC tonight if the Ammonia hasn't gone down. I'm happy to have the new fish but boy i was/still am mad at her for adding new fish without asking me first. She used to keep fish way back when evidently. Something i didn't know she did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:49 pm

Kind of bitter sweet problem. Keeping fingers crossed for you. Water issues you've described sound good. I don't believe water why your fish are dying. Still sounds like Ich.while using fish to cycle tank does weaken the survivors and often creates permanent gill damage. After cycling tank then adding more fish possibly how Ich was introduced.As others have already shared with you treatment procedures often results in some deaths. Keep up treatments until you see normal healthy behavior as well as no more fish loss. Make sure to wait another week minimum to add more and then no more than 3 at a fime. Give them at least 2weeks to adjust and make sure no other illness or issues before addig more.
If you're usng salt to cure Ich you may want to reconsider alternative methods as salt can sometimes result in adverse effects to Cory's.
.They don't tolerate salt to well.

Last edited by Ron on Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:28 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:46 am

@cholt wrote:
Update on the tank. I'm down to 2 guppies and 2 Danios. the part i want to scream about is my mother bought 7 peppered cories and put them into my tank while she was watching my kiddos for my wife and I. So i came home to more fish in my tank that was still under distress Mad . the GOOD news is that all the fish that are in there now seem to be happy Very Happy . The tank seems to be leveling out from what i can tell now. As of yesterday the pH between 7 and 7.2, Ammonia was at .25, Nitrites 0, Nitrates were at around 5. Will be doing a small WC tonight if the Ammonia hasn't gone down. I'm happy to have the new fish but boy i was/still am mad at her for adding new fish without asking me first. She used to keep fish way back when evidently. Something i didn't know she did.

That's a funny story Chris. It sounds like your tank has become a family project. It also seems like your tank is settling down. At least, I hope so. I'm happy to see you are getting some good advice from our members. It's not unexpected to suffer a few casualties when getting a tank started. Hang in there. This is a great hobby...great

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 am

The addition of the seven peppered corys, which I'm going to assume are Corydoras paleatus, has changed the picture entirely.  My suggestion now is to do nothing else for several weeks!  Just change the water, maintain the sand, and remove plant debris, as it occurs.  

Please make sure you feed the corys their own food.  For seven paleatus, if they are juveniles, about three or four shrimp pellets a day should do it.  Yes, the danios will try to pick at the pellets, but that's okay.  A couple of parboiled green peas is a good idea, about once a week.  Just use frozen peas, boil for about three minutes or less, let cool, take off skin, separate into halves, and drop into the tank.

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:10 pm

Deb,

You are correct with your assumption they are corydoras paleatus. As of right now all I'm doing are WCs. The cory's are recieving between one and two broken up sinking shrimp food. it looks like brick colored disks about 1/2" round and a 1/16th thick would be my guess. the remaining guppies seem to try to eat it but the danios don't mess with it much. I usually start by putting some flake food in for them so them ignore the sinking food for the most part. They all seem to like the peas from what i can tell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:06 pm

I have a question again. when y'all say don't add anything to the tank do y'all include new plants as well? i wanted to ask before anyone( my mother) tried to help out again. She was talking to my kids and i overheard them talking about plants in the tank last night. I want to put a stop to it before anything is done.

As a update everyone in the tank seems to be happy so far. one of the danios looks to be skinnier than the other and the guppy with the tattered tail seems to not had any change in the last couple of days. the plants that are already there seem to be growing nicely as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:50 pm

AQUATIC plants are your first and best line of defense against ammonia stress -- Add plants before or at the same time as fish. There is no reason to wait or limit the number of plants. AVOID terrestrial plants that are often sold as aquarium plants (lucky bamboo, dracaena, spathyphyllum, pilea, etc) - they will live for a few months but really cant grow or consume much ammonia. Floaters like frogbit, duckweed, Salvinia, Najas, watersprite, and hornwort will uptake ammonia the fastest, and they dont need a settling-in period before getting to work like some rooted plants do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:42 pm

I never see enough plants for sale wherever I go. They seem pricey to. Of course maybe I know I may kill it, and maybe I am supposed to buy a small plant, and let it grow and make new plants. Where do you all get your plants?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhollo
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:06 pm

I have been getting my plants off of eBay, good selection and pricing. Plants tend to stand up well to shipping too, no issues so far.

View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Mostly at local fish club meetings. Members always bring extra plants, already adapted to local water conditions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:42 am

As odd as it may sound, I have buying plants from Walmart. I'm in there a couple of times a week. When I shop for groceries and stuff, I often find away to pass by the aquatic section. When I notice a new shipment of plants, I stop and look. I find the same plants found in most pet stores at lower prices. So far they have all been snail free and it's convenient...Embarassed

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:05 pm

added some new plants.
" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:21 pm

Put some black construction paper taped to the back of this tank and it would pop! Looking good!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:40 pm

tank the day of setup on 9/6/2014
" />

Fward funny you should say something about black paper behind the tank. I had bought a piece of poster board backing material for that purpose today.

Tank tonight after backing installed with new plants. the water is a little dirty from dropping the air pump which dislodged the air-stone, planting and moving the filter around to get the backing intp place.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:48 pm

Wow what a difference. Looking good.

Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:34 am

WOW is right! Great job! I think one nice  Anglefish milling about in this tank would look great. Maybe with a school of neons or guppys. The Angle would keep the guppy population under control to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:12 am

Thanks guys. Right now there 7 peppered cories, 2 male guppies, and 1 danio. I had 2 danios but one bit it. Im not sure what happened to it. It showed no sign of any issues before hand. Once I feel everything has settled down in the tank i will be introducing some more fish. I will be adding some neon tetras a few at a time til I get to about 12-15 of them, and two Otos. I'm trying to decide if i should add any more guppies since i seem to have such "good" luck with them. if i do i dont know whether i will add a couple more males back or add some females in their place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:26 am

I have had some luck with Neons and Guppies. With the Guppy you need to get plenty of females per male. As they just want to chase and do one thing all day everyday. They will harass the females to death. With Neons a huge school looks amazing. The male Guppy may also try to mate with the neon to though. With the Danios they like to harass and chase anything near the top of the water. A large school is better as they tend to chase each other more than other fish. This is just my experience and I know there are way more experienced and smarter peeps on this forum than me though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:03 pm

@cholt wrote:
Thanks guys. Right now there 7 peppered cories, 2 male guppies, and 1 danio. I had 2 danios but one bit it. Im not sure what happened to it. It showed no sign of any issues before hand. Once I feel everything has settled down in the tank i will be introducing some more fish. I will be adding some neon tetras a few at a time til I get to about 12-15 of them, and two Otos. I'm trying to decide if i should add any more guppies since i seem to have such "good" luck with them. if i do i dont know whether i will add a couple more males back or add some females in their place.

I'm happy to hear things are going well for you. I find Tetras a bit more sensitive than Guppies but your tank is well established now. You shouldn't have any problems adding more fish. I always like to do a water change a day before adding new fish to prepare. I would add female Guppies. I would look for pregnant females if possible but that is because I find babies and raising them exciting. It's doubtful that you will have so many that it is a problem. A shoal of Neons can be very entertaining and great choice in a community tank. The most important thing is to choose fish you like and that will get along. Don't be afraid to experiment with compatible fish. You will develop you our niche...Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:31 am

Just a short update. Tanks seems to be settling in nicely. Should be going to get a few Neon Tetras before to long. then to add a few more in a week or so after the first ones go in. Still debating either to get some more male guppies or to get a couple females to go with the male guppies i have now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:49 pm

Thanks for the update. I'm happy to hear all is going well. I would add at least 2 females for every male, if you decide to go with adding more Guppies... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:41 pm

added a few Neon Tetras today. they are tiny little guys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:46 pm

@cholt wrote:
added a few Neon Tetras today. they are tiny little guys.

CQQL!!! Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:36 am

I have a quarantine tank question. Does anyone keep this tank running all the time or is it a tank that is only running when its needed. To me I would think it would be a tank that stays running but may not have anything fish in it unless they are new fish or sick fish. Is my assumptions correct? I'm gathering parts slowly to build one. As of right now i have a 5g tank, small sponge filter, air pump for filter, and a air stone. the only things i have left i think is a heater and hood/light. Should there be gravel and/or plants in it or have nothing in it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:25 am

Well you need to have a seeded filter. So you do not kill the already sick fish with Ammonia spike. So maybe keep the small sponge filter in your main tank until it is needed for your 5 gallon. I would keep it bare bottom easy to maintain. The hard part is resisting putting more fish in it lol. MTS is danderours! (Multiple Tank Syndrome)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   

Back to top Go down

Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-