Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what kind of fish to put into my first 20g setup. Right now the tank has 3 zebra danios in it while the tank cycles(still in the first week). this tank has about 20 small plants in it that will grow to be a nice planted tank i hope. i have read so many different things I'm not sure what to put in the tank or how many of each. any suggestions would be great. i like the look of neon tetras or similar. I was thinking of getting a julii, green, and maybe a bumblebee cory for the bottom of the tank. do think they would school together? Other than that I'm just not sure.

thanks
Chris
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:01 pm

OK guys. I picked up a 40G breeder this weekend at Petcos $1 per gallon sale. I'm going to need some suggestions for this tank as well. I'm sure it will have a couple cory varieties, guppies, neon tetras, and otos. any other good companions for these guys? This will be a planted tank as well. I will post pictures of my DIY stand, hood/canopy, and lighting setup as they are built out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:15 pm

cholt wrote:
OK guys. I picked up a 40G breeder this weekend at Petcos $1 per gallon sale. I'm going to need some suggestions for this tank as well. I'm sure it will have a couple cory varieties, guppies, neon tetras, and otos. any other good companions for these guys? This will be a planted tank as well. I will post pictures of my DIY stand, hood/canopy, and lighting setup as they are built out.

Hmmm, 40G breeder? If it's going to be a planted tank, I would try Angelfish...fish

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:02 pm

I didn't think angels played nice with guppies. But if they do I wouldn't mind trying angels. Any suggestions for numbers of each.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:49 pm

cholt wrote:
I didn't think angels played nice with guppies. But if they do I wouldn't mind trying angels. Any suggestions for numbers of each.

Hehehehe, I was thinking about stocking for your new tank...too much!

Angels and Guppies don't mix well if you want to see Guppy offspring. But I routinely keep Guppies and Angels together not expecting the Guppies to multiply in my Show tank. The female Guppies get huge and stay pregnant in my Show tank and I'm sure the Angels benefit on delivery day. The Angels will hunt until they find every guppy fry or young fish they can fit in their mouths. Even male Guppies do well once they reach a certain size.

I keep my primary Guppy line in a ten gallon tank. I have maintained this line about 20 years. That is where I get Guppies for my Show tank. I keep only my best fish in the Guppy tank. The culls and any males or females that are not expressing the traits I desire end up in my other tanks either as feeders or for display... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:53 pm

Angels and Guppies can be a risk. Also the Neons as the Angels grow, may begin disappearing. Red Serpaes would be a nice addition. They are one of the most colorful Tetras and are normally pretty good Community fish. Depending upon how many fish you plan a group of 6 would be nice. They are a pretty good shoaling fish and fun to watch. Your Neons and Otto's will be just fine with them and the others you had already planned upon. Serpaes (Hyphessobrycon eques) may have other names sometimes such as Red Minor Tetra, Jewel Tetra, Callistus Tetra, Red Serpa, Blood Characin, Blood Tetra, and even Red Phantom Tetra. As they adjust to your tank they become quite red with black tips and have a jewel effect when the light hits them.
All the fish you mentioned except the Corys are good mid level fish. The Cory's obviously are bottom, so you may try some Hatchet fish to balance out the already described fish. Just make sure you have no openings in your top as they are well known for jumping right out of the tank and quite a long distance. Very peaceful fish and are also a shoaling fish.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:51 pm

BTW, Chris...
When I suggested Angelfish, I was thinking more of a planted species tank and not a Community tank. However, if you do consider adding Angelfish, I would not put them with fish they can fit in their mouths. Fortunately, their mouths aren't that large. Most fish are safe. Small young fish are prey. That said, planted Community tanks are great and Angelfish can fit in with the right fish. There are a lot of cool fish available. I'm partial to Angelfish...Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:06 pm

Was just looking in my 20g tank and it looks like I peppered cories are breeding/laying eggs on the glass of the tank. But most of the eggs look to have been eaten so far. I do see a couple that haven't been eaten yet. Now sure how to protect them so they have time to hatch out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:27 pm

if you look real close you can see where she has a couple eggs clutched in her lower fins.

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:19 pm

hmm you can put something smooth in there where she will lay eggs on and then remove it from tank. They are cute babies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:34 am

Chris, why not start a new thread for the 40 breeder?  That is a great size and much deeper than other rectangles.  You will appreciate this when you begin 'scaping the tank.  

What's the update on the 20?  What is your current stock?  Did you get the Otos from the big box store, as you mentioned?  I've seen some pretty good-looking otos at PetSmart in the past; sometimes they are skinny and pale, but many times they look fat and healthy and do fine.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:09 am

Great looking Cory!!! Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:59 pm

I plan on starting a 40b thread once i get a little bit along in the build. Right now i only have the equipment to start the tank up. I'm still in the process of building the stand and hood for it. that will go in that thread as well. As for the Otos I was able to pickup 3 from PetSmart a while back and they seem to be doing very well in my tank. My guppies seem to be doing well. They have started to show color in the males. My cories seem to be doing ok as well. I lost one male after the breeding they did in a earlier post in the thread. Not sure what happened to him. so my tank stocking count right now is below.
7-8 guppies
15 neon tetras
3 otos
5 peppered cories.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:41 am

Figured I would give a update on this my 20g tank. All of my fish seem to be doing well. I have had a couple issues with my plants lately. But i posted about that in a different thread.
http://cvas.forumotion.com/t1795-java-ferns-turning-brown-and-dieing#15452 I think i have that issue squared away now as well(knock on wood). I turned off one of my lights and have been doing water changes more often.
  Also believe I have the startings of BBA in the tank. BOO!!! So i built a CO2 reactor last night to try and stop that before it gets out of hand. I will be doing a manual removal of as much of the BBA tonight as I can. I think i built the CO2 reactor for around $10 if i would have had to buy everything. but i was able to do it for about $3 since I had just about everything on hand already. the hardest things to get were the 2 liter bottle and the small gatorade bottle since we don't drink soda or gatorade at our house. I will post a picture of the reactor later.
  As for my mentioned 40b build. It's coming along nicely as well. I still need to get my pictures pushed up to the web so i can start that thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:56 pm

Here are a couple pictures of the reactor I built. I'm using a simple air stone in the tank to diffuse the CO2 bubbles.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:02 pm

Wow! That was a quick build. You are serious about this hobby. Enjoy, ain't it fun... bounce

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:57 am

That is a nice quick build. ThumbsUp  How do you control how much CO2 enters the tank?  What are the implications of using CO2 now that you have reduced the light?    

Also, no big deal (I hope) but I accidentally moved your topic. Embarassed In trying to move it back, I couldn't remember which forum it had been posted in, originally.  So I put it in General Freshwater, but if you want it to be moved to another forum, just say which one.

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:27 pm

Right now the system makes about 2 bubbles per second into the smaller bottle in the reactor setup then I'm using a lime wood "air stone" that makes the output bubbles into the tank very hard to see they are so small. as for how long it runs per day its a constantly running system. So far from what I can tell about the less light and adding CO2. the tank seems to be running happily. the main reason for the CO2 was to combat the BBA. the system has only been running for about 2 weeks now. the plants seem to be greener if that makes since. the growth of the BBA seems to have stalled. But I also add some new anacharis as well to help deplete the "food" the BBA would use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:55 am

Just a small update. I just replaced the sugar, water and yeast mix from the original CO2 reactor install from Feb 26th. that is nearly a month for that recipe. It would create a bubble about every 2 to 3 seconds into the second smaller bottle. It has done its job of getting rid of BBA in the tank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:37 pm

Update. This tank also survived my vacation and has new paired pair of GBRs added to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:59 pm

Tank update with photos of when tank was setup and today.

Then(mid Sept 2014)...

and today..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:53 pm

Wow! That's a huge difference and in less than a year. I prefer planted tanks so I'm loving this one... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:49 pm

Excellent! ThumbsUp Hope the GBRs work out in this tank. Rams in the 20 and angelfish in the 40 seems like the right way to do it!

Did you get rid of all the BBA? Are you still running CO2?

I will tell you frankly this does not look like a beginner's tank! What a great job. Very Happy

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:33 pm

I did get rid of the BBA and yes I am still using the diy co2 system on this tank. I'm looking into getting a high tech system for my 40g since the diy system doesn't have enough pressure to work with the 40g water volume even with two 2 liter bottles attached.

Thank you very much on the tank compliment. I will try to make a video of that tank this evening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:29 pm

Chris, I've been reading up and listening to several podcast that use citric acid and baking soda to produce the CO2. I think there was even a recent YouTube video by the DIY king on this. No smell with the citric/baking soda method.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:35 pm

interesting. I will have to look it up. The issue I ran into with the 40g was more of a water volume/back pressure issue. The CO2 generator didnt create enough pressure to push the CO2 out of the air stone even at only a couple of inches in the tank from the top and was no where near being able to do it near the bottom of the tank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   

Back to top Go down

Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-