Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what kind of fish to put into my first 20g setup. Right now the tank has 3 zebra danios in it while the tank cycles(still in the first week). this tank has about 20 small plants in it that will grow to be a nice planted tank i hope. i have read so many different things I'm not sure what to put in the tank or how many of each. any suggestions would be great. i like the look of neon tetras or similar. I was thinking of getting a julii, green, and maybe a bumblebee cory for the bottom of the tank. do think they would school together? Other than that I'm just not sure.

thanks
Chris
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:08 pm

Here is a video of my 20g from today. Hope you like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:38 pm

I like it!

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:18 am

Ok I have a question. It looks like one of my peppered cories eyes are bulging . It looks like it has popeye. No other fish in the tank seems to showing the same symptoms. I will be doing a 50% wc change shortly. Is there anything else I should do? Is there a med that should be used or just keep doing wcs?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:26 pm

My suggestion is to keep doing pwc's. See if the problem persists or if any other cory comes down with the same condition. Check under and behind decor for anything spoiling or rotten.

Probably with this tank and with your 40 you should fall into the habit of posting the CURRENT stocklist with every post. Maybe add it to your signature and keep it updated.

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:45 am

The cory didnt make it. When I got home sunday afternoon from being out of town all day it had died. Its something going on because this morning I had 2 guppies dead as well. I have checked the water parameters multiple times which look good. I looked for the spoiled or rotten stuff a couple time and cant seem to find anything more than some decaying plant leaves. I did a 50% WC saturday and vacuumed the gravel even more than i normally do. I will be doing another WC this evening as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:45 am

updated fish list.

7-8 guppies
15 neon tetras
2 otos
3 peppered cories.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:10 pm

@cholt wrote:
The cory didnt make it. When I got home sunday afternoon from being out of town all day it had died. Its something going on because this morning I had 2 guppies dead as well. I have checked the water parameters multiple times which look good. I looked for the spoiled or rotten stuff a couple time and cant seem to find anything more than some decaying plant leaves. I did a 50% WC saturday and vacuumed the gravel even more than i normally do. I will be doing another WC this evening as well.

I feel for you... Neutral
And I can say that I have been there. Recently, I had my 10 gallon planted show tank crash. Actually, I had been amazed for a while that it sustained as long as it did with such a heavy bio load. Just like you, I increased water changes and general husbandry.

I did find that my Nitrates were jacked up (high). So, I have been doing almost daily water changes to get them down. I have seen improvement and losses have stopped. I think you took the right course of action. You didn't mention your water parameters. That would be helpful...

BTW: My Nitrates had gotten up to 80ppm...affraid

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:49 am

@JohnnyAMH my water parameters were all good. Ammonia 0, PH 6.8-7, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5-10 ppm. That was the confusing part.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:25 am

@cholt wrote:
@JohnnyAMH my water parameters were all good. Ammonia 0, PH 6.8-7, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5-10 ppm. That was the confusing part.

Yes, that is confusing. In this type circumstance, I try to look back and see if I did something different or I allowed something to different to happen. Sometimes, I never figure it out but most of the time I do and it's often related to husbandry. IMO, with water quality as good as yours, I would I would suspect some type of different event...Neutral

It could be a teachable moment...Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:19 am

Tank Update. My 20g seems to be running happily as well. I never figured out what the issue was in this tank. A day or 2 after I lost those last fish I lost my GBRs in this tank. I did a couple extra WCs for about 2 weeks and then let the tank settle down for a month before I decided to even think about adding another fish or plant. then about a 2 weeks ago I added a new pair of GBRs because PAW had got a beautiful shipment of huge GBRs in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:35 pm

@cholt It's good to hear everything settled down. Extra water changes never hurt. GBRs are pretty fish... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:58 am

@cholt, One thing to remember with this tank is that a 20 high does not have a very big footprint.  Even if you are not "overstocked" as such, it may be that the time has come to re-evaluate who can live with who.  Honestly, although it may sound a bit boring, I think you had the ideal tank at one point with the neons, corys, otos, lots of plants, and cleverly arranged decor.  Adding mating and aggressive pairing fish creates chaos in a tank this small, even if the water parameters still read good. Very Happy

Not to mention that GBRs may be hormone-raised and inline-bred to produce great color and early maturity.  This all by itself will cause issues, too.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:53 pm

@cholt wrote:
.... and then let the tank settle down for a month before I decided to even think about adding another fish or plant. 

Well, there's the answer, whatever the cause of the trouble was. This is also the hardest thing possible to do, and you did it! 

Tanks need time to mature and settle in, and I think they take a good long while to become truly stable. A big of judicious neglect is in order when things are not working out. Just maintain the tank and don't make any changes for a while. Glad to see you got over that hump!

View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:21 pm

GBRs? German Blue Rams?

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:36 am

yup. German Blue Rams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup   

Back to top Go down

Fish suggestions for my first 20g setup

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-