Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:35 pm

Haha yeah. Mature is what we call it. I see other youtuber's and they seem to always have new fish. They must trade in or they grow slowly maybe. When they start to get the hump head you know they have a little age. They store fat there I believe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:15 pm

@Fward THANKS for posting!!!
Those a some great videos and the fish look fantastic. You African cichlid guys have it going on. There is so much activity and such vivid colors on display. I also noticed that you make good use of your tank space. This is a great hobby... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:27 pm

Just added a DIY sump to my 180 gallon. Nervous wreck tonight. First night it will be running. Already thinking to make it bigger lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:05 pm

@Fward wrote:
Just added a DIY sump to my 180 gallon. Nervous wreck tonight. First night it will be running. Already thinking to make it bigger lol.

It's going to work great without a flaw!

Yeap, we aquarists are never satisfied

Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:05 pm

Tried the Supernight LED lights on my tank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:31 pm

@thegundog wrote:
@Fward wrote:

It's going to work great without a flaw!

Yeap, we aquarists are never satisfied

Yep, I have to agree... too much!
@Fward
Cool looking tank and posting as usual.  I like the different lighting effects... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:21 am

My sump has been working for few months now and I think it is great. So glad I did build it.

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:04 pm

@Fward, the Supernight LED lights look great!  I can't believe they are only $12.  Which one do you have?  Is it on a timer?

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:42 pm

I saw these on Amazon, and it looks like a great deal, especially since it is a flexible strip, so you can mount it any way you want. Some are waterproof and some aren't. Also, they have many colors, and one that has three colors that alternate, so you can really go to town with this! Cheap, too. Great to see LED lighting coming down in price.

View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:47 pm

@Liz wrote:
Also, they have many colors, and one that has three colors that alternate, so you can really go to town with this! 

I see the artist's wheels are in motion with this post...

Liz, I predict this will be on your Christmas list Very Happy

Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:38 pm

I did what this guy did. Smile Very cheap way to light up a tank. Really makes fish color pop to. Great for smaller tanks. I would need to do two on my six foot tanks. I do run my lights on timers. But this one comes with a remote.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:22 am

This is great - I've always been interested in my own aquarium light mods!

I have tried outdoor LED Christmas lights, outdoor rope lights, kitchen "puck" lighting, all with the goal of using LED (not hot, bulbs don't burn out, low-profile, etc) when aquarium LED lighting was new and very expensive. None of them were good long-term, even the ones rated for outdoor, I think because an aquarium hood has just too much moisture. Things have come a long way!

Tracey, you are correct!

Ward, thanks for sharing this ThumbsUp I'd paint the PVC, unless I was mounting it inside a hood.

P.S. I'm not a Super Safety Sallie or anything, but the miter saw and the bare feet are a bit much for me.... My husband pointed out that this is not a UL listed fixture, but neither were my other mods! This one being waterproof helps quite a bit, but there is still a risk to you and your fish should it fall completely in the water. A GFCI outlet for your aquarium equipment would be smart. great (this ends today's Public Service Announcement)

View user profile
lkelly
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:16 am

I was thinking about trying this for my 100 gallon tank (not a deep tank - a shallower 125). How do you find the light output compared to standard T8 fixtures? And when you say you would need "two" for your 6 foot tanks, which length/model did you buy?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:10 pm

Supernight
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:12 pm

This was the light kit I purchased. Not something you could raise plants off of. You can make it any size with the gutter. I think a ten foot gutter was under $7.00. And the end caps were cheap to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lkelly
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:22 pm

Earlier today I ordered a 5M strip of the 5630 LEDs. They look to have a greater output, but just "natural white" color. If they work OK and I decide I want some color control I will look to add the 5050 RGB kit to augment. Will hopefully be enough light for the tank at a pretty reasonable price. Plus I love the DIY projects.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:33 pm

Looks good, Lane. I've definitely noticed an increase in algae with LED fixtures, and I've had to be careful with balancing the amount of light, height over the tank, etc. There is so much more flexibility with this type of DIY configuration, though, and that's what gives it the edge over the pre-fab fixtures, which are so expensive.

Plus, the couplers cost only a few dollars (literally $2 or so) and once you have a power supply the strips are cheap.

I'm interested to see how your set works out, Lane

View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:32 am

Lane let me know how it turns out. Only thing I have seen is the power supply seems to run a bit hot. Keep an eye on it. On Amazon reviews they have complained about it to. I do not leave mine running very long. I had fun making it. My DIY sump is doing well. Had fun doing that as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:59 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:02 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:03 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:04 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:05 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.   

Back to top Go down

Fward's Fry grow-out and big tank update.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Photography and Videos-