Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Updates of 150 and 125

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Updates of 150 and 125   Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:03 pm

Been a while! I've been wrapped up in home projects, kids, work, blah blah blah. Very Happy  

I've done some consolidation of my other tanks, but I still maintain the 150-gal SA planted tank, and the 125-gal SE Asian setup. Both have seen quite a bit of plant growth since I last made videos or taken pics, but otherwise the occupants are unchanged. The tank is scratched, I know, but it was very, very cheap on CL and I don't mind!

Here's the 150 taken today:

Here's the 125, also from today. I now realize that my mic was apparently muted when I took the video, so the audio description of what you're looking at is missing - sorry about that. Here's basically what I said:

The Buddha is a wall sculpture, mask-like and concave on the back side, and made of plaster, I believe, with a painted face. I used two-part clear epoxy to coat both sides, a painstaking process that I did twice to be sure it was completely sealed. I epoxied a rare earth magnet to the top back edge and another magnet is used on the outside of the tank (or a piece of metal) to hold the mask flush against the back of the tank without fear of it tipping over or falling. Somehow over the past year or so it leaked and there are soft spots as well as peeling paint. I want to try to dry it out and seal it again and return it to the tank. I adore it and can't find anything I like as well.

The tank is messy now because I added wood and rocks from my 20H goldfish tank that was in the kitchen that I took down today. I brought the goldfish to work. I needed the space in the kitchen. I put the Eheim canister filter from the 20H onto the back of the 125 to keep it running for the time being in case I need it on another tank that I'm considering, a 29-gal that I'll place on a stand with Otis the puffer on top (20L) and the 29 on the bottom (planted, snails). That is pending.

View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Updates of 150 and 125   Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:41 pm

Amazing tanks! Awesome job!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhollo
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Updates of 150 and 125   Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:35 am

Great looking tanks. Planning on a larger tank soon...

View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Updates of 150 and 125   Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:01 pm

Thanks!

Rhollo wrote:
Great looking tanks. Planning on a larger tank soon...

Rhollo, I have to say these two tanks pretty much run themselves. I don't mess with them much, just feed the fish and do weekly PWCs. They are extremely stable and are easier, IMO, than small tanks. Just plan the inhabitants carefully and you're good to go!

View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Updates of 150 and 125   Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:12 pm

Your 125 is pretty heavily planted, and your plants look very healthy.

Some of my plants are looking ragged, and I suspect its due to some fish and snails abusing the leaves.

I was curious though, do you inject any CO2 in your tanks to maintain the planted landscape?

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Updates of 150 and 125   Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:22 pm

No, David, no CO2 being used.

It is usually not recommended to try stem plants with loaches, but I don't think mine are big enough yet to disturb them. I'm sure they'll start tearing them up as the rummage around when they get bigger, and I'll be sad when that happens, since I'm spoiled by being able to keep plants with them so far!

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Updates of 150 and 125   

Back to top Go down

Updates of 150 and 125

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Photography and Videos-