Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Ghost shrimp escape artists?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Ghost shrimp escape artists?   Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:19 pm

I've always heard stories of shrimp and crawfish getting out of the aquarium, for whatever reason they are motivated to do so. I'm looking to add a ghost shrimp to a planted bowl (~1 gal) that is not heated or filtered mechanically, so there is nothing for a critter to grab to climb out, and wonder if it would still be able to get out. There's a betta in there now but the water gets too cool in the winter months for him to stay there.

It is not practical to heat this bowl, since there is a thick foot/base on it, preventing use of an external heating pad (Hydor mini) and I don't want to run a cord up the outside and down the inside for an internal heater. I don't have a lamp with an incandescent bulb that I could use over the bowl to warm the water, either, cuz I thought that might be a solution.

I want to put a ghost shrimp in there because they don't seem to mind temps in the high 60's to low 70's, which is what it will be at my house in the coming months. I can't really think of anything else that wouldn't mind the cool water, but am open to suggestions!

Shrimp can "flick" their bodies to propel themselves forcibly through the water, and I don't know if that's how they get out of aquariums, or if they need something to climb, like a heater cord or a filter intake. There is an outward flanged/flared rim on this bowl, so the water level is some distance from the top edge of the bowl, like a good 3", if that makes any difference, so there's really no way for a critter to climb out. If it will get out anyway I won't bother with it.

View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ghost shrimp escape artists?   Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:16 pm

Yes ghost/grass shrimp can jump out using that "flick" trick.  But if theres no fish he probabaly wont have reason to jump. Cherries dont need heat, and are less jumpy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Ghost shrimp escape artists?   Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:25 pm

Cherries would be more enjoyable, and I didn't realize they would be okay without heat. I was hoping you'd chime in on this, Gerald! Smile

View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ghost shrimp escape artists?   Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:40 pm

I keep Ghost and Cherry Red Shrimp in a ten gallon unheated tank. It does have under gravel filtration. It's heavily planted with mostly moss. I haven't witnessed any attempts at jumping but who knows? It also houses some Guppies. This tank sits almost at eye level and is about three feet from my desk. I find it to be my most interesting tank. I'm sure you will enjoy adding them...Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Ghost shrimp escape artists?   Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Yes, I think this will work out well. They'll show up well against the green plants and I love watching shrimp do what they do! This bowl sits on the sofa table, which is at the same height as the back of the sofa, so when you're sitting on it you can watch them clearly. I'm looking forward to getting them in there!

View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Ghost shrimp escape artists?   Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:55 am

Where do you put your betta in the winter months? Why are you looking to put shrimp in? What do you plan on doing with shrimp once warm weather rolls back around?

Gold fish dont mind cold unfiltrated water.

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Ghost shrimp escape artists?   Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:11 pm

David, I have a 5-gal planted tank at work and that's where the betta goes. It is heated. I hate to take down the planted unheated bowl completely, but it looks a little dumb with water and a few plants, and no animals, so I was looking for something that would not mind slightly cooler temps, like around 70-72.

When warm weather rolls around again I'll leave the shrimps where they are, since with air conditioning the temps don't get hot or anything but the bowl only goes up to about 74. The betta has been fine like that, but honestly I think it would prefer even warmer water, more like 78.

The bowl is only about 1 gallon, so I don't feel very good about a goldfish, though my neighbor picked up a goldfish, a fantail, for his daughter's TWO GALLON aquarium oh well that is honestly only a little over an inch long! I couldn't believe how tiny this thing was. If only they stayed that size!

I was thinking about a white cloud minnow but I don't think it would be very happy or very interesting to watch. Shrimps like RCS, being so small but having some color to them, will be very cute to watch. I'll add some java moss for them to rummage around in.

View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Ghost shrimp escape artists?   Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:19 pm

Sounds like a plan....though I do image that the betta will make short work of those shrimp once re-introduced. Maybe time will prove me wrong. Plus nothing wrong with a little natural betta snack:)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Ghost shrimp escape artists?   Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:22 pm

No, I don't plan to put the beta back in! I'm reworking the bowl for the shrimp, and the betta will stay in the 5 gal planted tank.

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Ghost shrimp escape artists?   Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:44 am

Do you have a pic of the bowl as it looks now, with plants but w/o animals?

ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Ghost shrimp escape artists?   Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:56 am

Ohh I got it!

Hmmm. Bettas dont need filtration because they can get air from the surface. I am not sure that shrimps have that ability. Without aeration of the water, I would be concerned about lack of oxygen in the water for shrimp to breathe.

The internet sources are very controversial on keeping shrimp in unfiltered water. Some folks say that its fine. RCS have survived for long periods of time in unheated and unfiltered conditions. They have a small oxygen requirement and small bio-load. However, the successful people say they have had strike the right balance. If you have no plant life, then the water is more easily fouled and deprived of oxygen. If you have too many plants, then when the plants absorb oxygen at night, it will suffocate the shrimp. Other folks say that even with smaller numbers of shrimp, you can have ammonia spikes that stress them out or kill them.

It is certainly an interesting read, but I do think its worth the risk. Ghost shrimp (glass shrimp) will be your least expensive, however, if you are willing to pay more, there are some awesome options out there for colorful shrimp. I am a big fan of the Orange and Yellow Sakura Shrimp.

http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/shrimp.php
http://www.alphaprobreeders.com/aquatic-live-shrimp/

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ghost shrimp escape artists?   Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:50 pm

With adequate plant growth, water surface area, careful feeding, and not crowding, you can keep most fish (or shrimp) without a filter. Aquatic plants take up very little O2 at night; just a tiny fraction of the O2 they release during the day. As long as there's open surface area I dont think plant-uptake of O2 at night will be enough to stress fish or shrimp. I kept a ~15 gal plastic tub with Najas, Didiplis and cherry shrimp outside year-round for about 3 years with no aeration in central NC. Temp ranged from freezing to 90-ish at the surface (probably low 80s at the bottom).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ghost shrimp escape artists?   

Back to top Go down

Ghost shrimp escape artists?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Planted Tanks :: Invertebrates-