Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Saw these at a local Buffet in town that has a HUGE tank

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Saw these at a local Buffet in town that has a HUGE tank   Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:49 pm

" />
This guy is at least 2ft long and there are 2 of them in this tank.

These guys were between 6-8 inches and as you can see had bred with a large group of frye with them. All the other fish in the tank were hanging out in the other side of the arch. This tank is in a Chinese Buffet here in town. Its a arch way you walk through as you come into the restaurant. If i had to guess its 8ft high on the sides and 3ft wide. the acrylic is atleast 2.5in thick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Saw these at a local Buffet in town that has a HUGE tank   Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:33 am

Nice find. I have seen the tanks in the Japanese place where Hills Department store used to be. I bet the Flowerhorns will kill all the fish in the tank eventually protecting the fry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Saw these at a local Buffet in town that has a HUGE tank   Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:33 pm

Is this restaurant over by Cinemark 10 theaters?

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Saw these at a local Buffet in town that has a HUGE tank   Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:15 am

The fish and fry are fantastic. Using a huge arched tank as an entrance sounds amazing... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Saw these at a local Buffet in town that has a HUGE tank   Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:43 pm

Nick B,

the buffet is on Wards Road just down from PAW on the right if you're going towards Target and PetSmart from PAW

Chris
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Saw these at a local Buffet in town that has a HUGE tank   Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:19 pm

Are those flowerhorns? I was thinking V.synspilum or melanurus?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Saw these at a local Buffet in town that has a HUGE tank   Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:54 pm

My first thought when seeing them was Vieja synspilum
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Saw these at a local Buffet in town that has a HUGE tank   Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:20 pm

i went into this Buffet place a week or so ago. They had the tank completely empty and had a new 4-6 foot cylinder tank they were setting up. I talked to one of the works and she said they were converting the big archway tank over to salt water and the cylinder tank was going to be freshwater. She stated the conversion was going to cost about $55k to complete.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Saw these at a local Buffet in town that has a HUGE tank   Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:43 am

@Ben wrote:
My first thought when seeing them was Vieja synspilum

That's what I thought, too. I was thinking about a pair of these for myself when I set up my 150.

I love the idea of this tank! Next time you're in there, take a wide shot!

View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Saw these at a local Buffet in town that has a HUGE tank   Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:18 am

The original tank in the first picture started leaking at one of the welded acrylic joints. Not suppose to happen but it did. They tried to salvage some of the fish but most were DOA. They took the surviors to PAW temporarily and PAW did house them. The surviving arrowanna that PAW had initially did not survive. They actually kept the fish in the freezer for insurance purposes. The company that built the tank was supposedly ATM (Acrylic Tank Manufacturing) from Las Vegas, who have that show on Animal Planet. At least, this is what one of the PAW employees passed on to me.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Saw these at a local Buffet in town that has a HUGE tank   Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:43 pm

@Nick_B wrote:
The original tank in the first picture started leaking at one of the welded acrylic joints.  Not suppose to happen but it did.  They tried to salvage some of the fish but most were DOA.  They took the surviors to PAW temporarily and PAW did house them.  The surviving arrowanna that PAW had initially did not survive.  They actually kept the fish in the freezer for insurance purposes.  The company that built the tank was supposedly ATM (Acrylic Tank Manufacturing) from Las Vegas, who have that show on Animal Planet.  At least, this is what one of the PAW employees passed on to me.

I enjoy that show. I wish it was more about fish than tank creation. 55k is a huge investment even for a commercial business. I wish them the best of luck... Wink

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saw these at a local Buffet in town that has a HUGE tank   

Back to top Go down

Saw these at a local Buffet in town that has a HUGE tank

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Photography and Videos-