Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

55 Mbuna Setup

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: 55 Mbuna Setup   Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:32 pm

Just picked up from DL Lawrence today a 55 gal Mbuna tank. Still tweaking and pic a little fuzzy now as jus filled today. Have to rearrange the rocks a bit but going to make a great addition to my fish room. Thanks David

verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 55 Mbuna Setup   Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:04 am

The tank looks great. Nice pick up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 55 Mbuna Setup   Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:10 am

Nice looking setup. I love the fact that our members work together to get the most out the hobby. It's a win for everyone!
Outstanding... cheers

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 55 Mbuna Setup   Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:35 am

Thanks all. Little fuzzy now as cloudy from just filling. Still need to tweek decor but waiting until fish acclamate and tank settles down. Like having Mbunas again, missed the activity and colors.
Got to go online tonight and order seal kit for my Rena XP4.. When I went to hook up found seal broken on pump intakeso luckily I had 2 Emperor 400's on hand to use in the meantime

DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 55 Mbuna Setup   Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:34 pm

Looking good, Ron! Well done, Sir! I thought I'd gotten all the possible rock arrangements; that looks great! Thanks again- I'm pleased this was such a win-win. enjoy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 55 Mbuna Setup   Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:44 pm

Very nice setup --  the dark orange ones just right of center are they Zebras?

I really like the activity of the Mbunas I have in my tank!

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 55 Mbuna Setup   Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:07 am

Very nice, Ron!  It's great when an ideal solution can be worked out.  I'm betting that DL feels very relaxed right about now, knowing his prized tank is in good hands. Very Happy  
It makes a pretty good birthday present to yourself, too. *lol*  

Did you get the Rena sealed?  How are the two 500's working out?

DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 55 Mbuna Setup   Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:19 am

@Deb wrote:
 I'm betting that DL feels very relaxed right about now, knowing his prized tank is in good hands. Very Happy  

Yep, no doubt!   I'm glad that Ron was able to adopt it!   Good hands, indeed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 55 Mbuna Setup   Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:57 am

Wow!
Not sure if dumb luck or what?
Just completed 7th day of break down, transporting, and setting up the 55. While setting up I had to take more time than anticipated due to my Rena XP4 acting up and forced me to reconfigure tank with 2 Emperor 400's. In doing so I had to run out and buy glass tops to allow for the large filters on the back. When I came back saw 4 fish on the bottom of bucket lying on their sides and a 5th nearly there also. Forced me to add fish before I had time to acclimate. I bought some API Quick Start, added some aeration, added some API Nitra-Zorb, and used Melafix, Pimafix, and used some seeded filter material, fired everything up and hoped for the best. The 4 fish that were on their sides were swimming erratically and I netted them and placed them over the aeration to get oxygen to their gills for about 1/2 hour. After releasing them they seemed to have a little more life but hung out at the bottom for the night. The next day God was with them as they appeared to be just fine. I waited close to 48 hours to feed them to try and keep Ammonia from spiking, and all were eating vigorously.
Day 3 I was able to get my XP4 working and replaced one of the 400's just to help the bio load.
Just checked the water today and found 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and 5 Nitrates, with Ph of 7.8. All fish are doing great and seem to be very active and healthy.
I believe the sand that DL gave me with the tank helped also balancing the tank.  Water has cleared nicely and I will post more pics soon.
Thanks again DL

DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 55 Mbuna Setup   Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:07 am

Wow, indeed- good save! Hopefully smooth sailing from here on out-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 55 Mbuna Setup   Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:54 pm

@Ron wrote:
Wow!
Not sure if dumb luck or what?
Just completed 7th day of break down, transporting, and setting up the 55. While setting up I had to take more time than anticipated due to my Rena XP4 acting up and forced me to reconfigure tank with 2 Emperor 400's. In doing so I had to run out and buy glass tops to allow for the large filters on the back. When I came back saw 4 fish on the bottom of bucket lying on their sides and a 5th nearly there also. Forced me to add fish before I had time to acclimate. I bought some API Quick Start, added some aeration, added some API Nitra-Zorb, and used Melafix, Pimafix, and used some seeded filter material, fired everything up and hoped for the best. The 4 fish that were on their sides were swimming erratically and I netted them and placed them over the aeration to get oxygen to their gills for about 1/2 hour. After releasing them they seemed to have a little more life but hung out at the bottom for the night. The next day God was with them as they appeared to be just fine. I waited close to 48 hours to feed them to try and keep Ammonia from spiking, and all were eating vigorously.
Day 3 I was able to get my XP4 working and replaced one of the 400's just to help the bio load.
Just checked the water today and found 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and 5 Nitrates, with Ph of 7.8. All fish are doing great and seem to be very active and healthy.
I believe the sand that DL gave me with the tank helped also balancing the tank.  Water has cleared nicely and I will post more pics soon.
Thanks again DL

Wow, that was quite a scenario. I'm happy to hear things worked out well for you. Outstanding job of quick thinking and use of aquatic skills...Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 55 Mbuna Setup   Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:53 pm

Do you guys think black sand would look okay with this background? I have the same one and was thinking of change. Wonder what rocks to put with it also.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 55 Mbuna Setup   Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:56 pm

@Fward wrote:
Do you guys think black sand would look okay with this background? I have the same one and was thinking of change. Wonder what rocks to put with it also.

I would think black sand may be okay with the background. I would think though the fish colors may not pop. I have seen fish appear darker using it but the colors were not as vivid as with lighter sand. As to rocks, I would use any type that are close to the colors in the background. Also as an interesting rock with black sand, I personally used petrified wood and it made quite a display. I also used a red slate that had streaks of gray in it that also looked very nice.
Give it a shot to see how you like it, and if you're like me, it won't be the first time you had to change a tank aquascape. money

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 55 Mbuna Setup   Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:10 pm

Black substrate is not a favorite of mine. I don't see anything wrong with it but it's not what I prefer. I place black sand in the same bag as blue, red and yellow sand. I don't think any of them look good with plants. Also, IMO only the brightest colored fish look their best in tanks with those colors as substrates. Truly, it's a matter of personal preference... Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 55 Mbuna Setup   

Back to top Go down

55 Mbuna Setup

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-