Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Nerite Saved

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Nerite Saved   Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:12 pm

Had Nerite Snail in my 56 for close to 2 years and today I happened in to my fish room to find him/her about a foot away from the tank and very dried out. Guessing out of the water for 1 to 2 hours. Almost tossed away and thought "oh what the heck" and tossed back into the tank. Close to an hour went by and there he laid. I thought a goner for sure then I saw some slight movement and "lo and behold" he's alive! Appears very weak though as he normally gets around the tank quite fast for a snail. He's moved about 6" and attached himself to the glass so keeping fingers crossed.
Nerites are pretty good snails to have. Some don't like them as they tend to lay little white eggs but they can not hatch as they have to have brackish water to breed but the eggs don't seem to last to long as they must get eaten because  don't see them after a few days. Thus you don't have to worry about an unwanted snail population in your tank. They are also quite colorful with their various stripe patterns, and good little cleaners. As mentioned they need brackish water to breed, but live very well in freshwater and good algae eaters.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Saved   Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:41 am

Whew... Close call. I'm happy he survived... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Saved   Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:36 pm

Thx. Seems like he's going to be ok. Moving around tank like he always did. Not sure how many hours he was out of tank but doing ok.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Saved   Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:16 pm

Hope your nerite is still doing okay. That is an amazing story, and something to remember and learn from. I know I will take it to heart! Nerites are known for going above the water line or leaving the water altogether. ddavis has reported this and I've heard about it from others. People from all over the world report that their nerites of various species leave the water frequently, but I've never read a good reason WHY. Not even a theory.

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Saved   Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:18 pm

Thanks Deb, he's doing just fine. Sure thought he was a goner for sure. I started to toss him out and thought oh what the heck and placed him back in the tank. Took 1 to 2 hours and he was on the move again. As of tonight he's his old self again.
I too have seen some of my Nerites out of the water and they seem to find their way back with no problem. Maybe like a turtle they want to warm themselves up a bit....lol. This is the first time I had one actually get out of the tank though

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Saved   Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:02 pm

The marine nerites are almost all inter-tidal species (like periwinkles and limpets) that specialize on algae that grow on intermittently-flooded rocks between the high-tide and low-tide levels. Don't know why freshwater nerites do it, unless it's just "behavioral baggage" from their marine roots, or maybe they too prefer the algae and bacterial film that grows just along and above the water line. Stream levels rise and fall too - just not as predictably as tides. (I love concocting theories, if you haven't noticed). Ron's warm-up theory might be part of the reason too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Saved   

Back to top Go down

Nerite Saved

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Hospital-