Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Super Spawn Party

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Super Spawn Party   Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:37 am

Tonight I came home to a Super Spawn Party...
I checked in on my newly free swimming Angelfish fry and fed them BBS. I looked at my number one pair of Angelfish in this winters breeding project and they were tending fresh eggs. I checked the pair that had just produced the free swimmers and they had their breeding tubes down and were cleaning their favorite breeding site. I peaked in my 10 gallon planted show tank and my Albino female and Standard male Bristled Nosed Plecos were secluded in a cave. The fun is in the game...pounding!

Go Seahawks!cheers

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:53 pm

Sounds like something is going on chez Johnny! Will there be pix to follow? I'd like to see the angelfish babies. Very Happy

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:00 pm

This is a group of Angelfish fry recorded the first day they became able to swim on their own...Laughing

BTW: That pair that was cleaning their breeding site last night, spawned tonight...cheers

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:00 am

Nice babies! ThumbsUp What are they swimming in? Victoria Green?

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:49 pm

@Deb wrote:
Nice babies! ThumbsUp What are they swimming in? Victoria Green?
You so crazy, "Victoria Green", Hehehehhe...good one! (just kidding)
It's just a filter media container I reused from an old HOB filter from back in the day... Smile
ROFLOL too much!

The video is pretty much self explanatory. It was taken at about day three of free swimming and the fry have taken over more of their hatching container. The purpose of this thread will be to document just how easy it is to raise Angelfish eggs from free swimming to Juveniles and my method. I hope it encourages Angelfish fans...Cool

I know everybody has there own way of doing things. I'm just sharing what works for me. All questions are welcomed... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:45 pm

They're growing strong! tip of the hat I'm looking forward to more posts on this topic.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:55 am

Hi all, I can tell you guys are as excited as I about this spawn and its development. So here's a few more pictures. Here's a picture of Release day. The fry have been eating live BBS well in the Hatching container and are ready for larger accommodations. What happens next is that I allow the Hatching container to sink to the tank bottom with the fry inside. The fry then find their own way into the Hosting tank.

Here's a picture of the fry still in the Hatching container trying to figure out what is happening.

Here's another one...Smile

Here's a few guys that have found their way outside the Hatching container... hee hee!

The fry are still doing well. These post are about two weeks behind... Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:11 am

Johnny wrote:
I looked at my number one pair of Angelfish in this winters breeding project and they were tending fresh eggs.

What is this winter's breeding project?  Wink  What traits are you trying to bring out in the fry?

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:14 pm

Hi All,
Please accept my apologies for not updating this thread sooner. My wife has had me super busy preparing for the remodeling of our kitchen. As busy as I have been things are going well with this winter’s breeding project. The fry are growing nicely. I hope to post some more pics soon…

This year I’m working with some Angelfish I got from Neo. Some of the genetics are obvious in the expression of the parents. Neo advised that some recessive genes may be hidden. I think I see evidence of that but it’s too early to be sure.

The fish that I’m looking for is Pinoy. I think it’s one pretty Angelfish. Pinoy is a combination of Dark and two doses of the Blue Angelfish genes. I have a pair that can produce a high percentage of Pinoy but that is not the pair that produced my current spawn. The pair that spawned and I hatched successfully are siblings of the other pair.

This pair consists of a Blue Smokey Male and a Black Ghost Female. I hoping that the female has a hidden Blue gene and I get a few Pinoy. If not I should definitely get a few if I am successful at reaching the next generation. In the meantime, I still have high hopes for my main pair. Here’s a couple of pictures of the parents of the spawn I’m currently working…

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~

Last edited by JohnnyAMH on Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:18 am

Hey! Johnny, The pair is looking fabulous Smile. You breeding project is coming along nicely as well Smile. I'm glad to see your having fun with your breeding project...hehe...Keep up the awesome work and don't forget to update this thread. I will be looking forward to the updates Smile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:23 pm

congrats
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:01 am

Here's a few pictures of the fry a couple of days later. They have been eating BBS well. If you look closely you will see a few of the fry expressing the Dark gene.

Here's a couple of fry expressing the Dark gene. This spawn has a small percentage of fish with the Dark gene. I'm curious to see the phenotypes of the remaining fry. I'm expecting some surprises... Laughing  

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:15 am

Today was a very nice day in the hobby. I sorted this winter's Angelfish spawn. I sorted by general color variety. I got twice as many light colored fish as dark. It's way to early to guess genotypes. I'll try to post some pictures up soon...Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:29 pm

So, if I'm following this correctly, the fry we see above are from the blue smokey male (at least one blue gene) and black ghost female (possible blue gene) pair? And from the fry above, are you looking for a black angel with two blue genes, one from each parent?

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:19 pm

@Deb wrote:
So, if I'm following this correctly, the fry we see above are from the blue smokey male (at least one blue gene) and black ghost female (possible blue gene) pair?  And from the fry above, are you looking for a black angel with two blue genes, one from each parent?  

My hope is that the Dark female is heterogeneous for Blue. The Blue Smokey male is homogeneous for Blue. Blue being a recessive gene, it requires two doses to express. If the Dark fish does not have a hidden Blue gene, all of them will only have one Blue gene.  None of the offspring will express Blue...Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~

Last edited by JohnnyAMH on Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:16 pm

@JohnnyAMH wrote:
@Deb wrote:
So, if I'm following this correctly, the fry we see above are from the blue smokey male (at least one blue gene) and black ghost female (possible blue gene) pair?  And from the fry above, are you looking for a black angel with two blue genes, one from each parent?  

My hope is that the Dark female is heterogeneous for Blue. The Blue Smokey male is homogeneous for Blue. Blue being a recessive gene it requires two doses to express. If the Dark fish does not have a hidden Blue gene, all of them will only have one Blue gene.  None of the offspring will express Blue...Neutral

Johnny I believe all the fish you got from me were all blue. So, I'm pretty sure they are both holding the blue gene. As far as my memory recalls, I believe they also hold a hidden pearlscale and albino gene for sure. I guess now you just have to grow them out to beleive me Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:26 pm

Here's an updated video. Note that the development and growth that has occurred. The are looking more Angelfish like... Neutral
Please forgive the picture quality... Sad

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:33 pm

@neogeo20041 wrote:

Johnny I believe all the fish you got from me were all blue. So, I'm pretty sure they are both holding the blue gene. As far as my memory recalls, I believe they also hold a hidden pearlscale and albino gene for sure. I guess now you just have to grow them out to beleive me Very Happy .

Trust me, I believe you...
There is great variety in the offspring. I see Stripes, Smokey, Darks and some of everything else. I'll just have to wait for more evidence to display itself... Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Mon May 18, 2015 10:15 pm

@neogeo20041 wrote:

Neo, I can confirm that I have a high percentage of Blues in my current batch of juvies. So far I have not found any expressing Pearlscale or Albino, which has been a relief. Both are nice fish but not the way I want to go... Laughing

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Tue May 19, 2015 8:24 am

@JohnnyAMH wrote:
@neogeo20041 wrote:

Neo, I can confirm that I have a high percentage of Blues in my current batch of juvies. So far I have not found any expressing Pearlscale or Albino, which has been a relief. Both are nice fish but not the way I want to go... Laughing

I'm glad your enjoying your project Johnny Smile. As far as I know ;  albino fry are extremely sensitive especially the pb ones. Unless proper care is given they are very unlikely to survive if any at all. The pearlscale gene won't express itself until your fish are at least quarter size if I'm not mistaken . Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Tue May 19, 2015 6:35 pm

@neogeo20041 wrote:
@JohnnyAMH wrote:
@neogeo20041 wrote:

I'm glad your enjoying your project Johnny Smile. As far as I know ;  albino fry are extremely sensitive especially the pb ones. Unless proper care is given they are very unlikely to survive if any at all. The pearlscale gene won't express itself until your fish are at least quarter size if I'm not mistaken . Smile

Thanks Neo! These fish are the offspring of fish I got from you. I'm not aware of the genetic makeup of the parents of my fish so I can only communicate my observations. It would be very helpful to know the genetics of the parents. It would aid me in determining the genetics of my fish. I may have assumed wrongly that the parents of my juvies might are siblings. There is a lot of diversity in the varieties of my offspring. Rarely does a hobbyist like myself have the opportunity to gather information from the breeder of their fish. Any genetic info provided about your fish will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance... Wink

I can say that a very high percentage of the eggs hatched and losses have been minimal so far. However anything is possible and all the Albinos may have perished but I doubt that not one survived. It is possible and likely that some of the offspring might have a single dose of Albino and are not expressing it. I have time to wait to see if Pealscale expresses and I would prefer that over Albino. I have seen many Angelfish express Pearlscale way before quarter size including the ones I got from you. Mine are now about the same size as the Pearlscale I got from you. So, I'm still taking a conservative approach about the genetics of the parents of my juvies and only claiming what I can see. Once again, thanks in advance... Wink

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Fri May 22, 2015 1:44 pm

The JAN/FEB 2013 issue of Amazonas magazine is devoted to angelfish and angelfish genetics. One article, Angelfish: Genetic Transparency, is the most comprehensive and complete discussion of this topic that I've ever read. It was easy to understand, too, but you have to be kind of a fish geek to tackle it. The article covers the history of standardizing, how genetic discoveries are accepted, terminology, and a genetic breakdown in a "simple" chart.

Anyone interested in angelfish should track down this article and read it for yourself.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Sat May 23, 2015 1:20 am

@Deb wrote:
The JAN/FEB 2013 issue of Amazonas magazine is devoted to angelfish and angelfish genetics.  One article, Angelfish: Genetic Transparency, is the most comprehensive and complete discussion of this topic that I've ever read.  It was easy to understand, too, but you have to be kind of a fish geek to tackle it.  The article covers the history of standardizing, how genetic discoveries are accepted, terminology, and a genetic breakdown in a "simple" chart.  

Anyone interested in angelfish should track down this article and read it for yourself.

Thanks for posting this resource Deb. I don't know of any other ornamental fish kept in the hobby today whose genetics are so well known and documented. There are several genetic calculators available that allow hobbyist like myself to predict and test the results of crosses. That's just one of the reasons Angelfish breeding is so popular...Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Sat May 23, 2015 9:55 pm

@JohnnyAMH wrote:
@neogeo20041 wrote:
@JohnnyAMH wrote:
@neogeo20041 wrote:

Thanks Neo! These fish are the offspring of fish I got from you. I'm not aware of the genetic makeup of the parents of my fish so I can only communicate my observations. It would be very helpful to know the genetics of the parents. It would aid me in determining the genetics of my fish. I may have assumed wrongly that the parents of my juvies might are siblings. There is a lot of diversity in the varieties of my offspring. Rarely does a hobbyist like myself have the opportunity to gather information from the breeder of their fish. Any genetic info provided about your fish will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance... Wink

I can say that a very high percentage of the eggs hatched and losses have been minimal so far. However anything is possible and all the Albinos may have perished but I doubt that not one survived. It is possible and likely that some of the offspring might have a single dose of Albino and are not expressing it. I have time to wait to see if Pealscale expresses and I would prefer that over Albino. I have seen many Angelfish express Pearlscale way before quarter size including the ones I got from you. Mine are now about the same size as the Pearlscale I got from you. So, I'm still taking a conservative approach about the genetics of the parents of my juvies and only claiming what I can see. Once again, thanks in advance... Wink

Johonny! sorry for the late reply. I'm pretty sure I told you the genetics of the fish you bought
at the time of the purchase but incase you don't remember here they are again.

This is all based on the assumption that none of the parents had any other hidden genes
than pearlscale or albino.

Blue Smokey pearlscale (Father)
pb/pb - Sm/+ - p/p

X (cross)

Albino Pinoy Ghost     (Mother)
a/a - D/+ - pb/pb - S/+

Progeny:

# Genotypes                                                   Phenotypes                         %
1 +/+,+/+,+/+,+/+, +/+, +/+,p/+,a/+,pb/pb       Blue silver                      12.5%
2 +/+,+/+,Sm/+,+/+, +/+, +/+,p/+,a/+,pb/pb     Blue smokey                   12.5%
3 +/+,S/+,+/+,+/+, +/+, +/+,p/+,a/+,pb/pb        Blue ghost                      12.5%
4 +/+,S/+,Sm/+,+/+, +/+, +/+,p/+,a/+,pb/pb      Blue smokey ghost           12.5%
5 D/+,+/+,+/+,+/+, +/+, +/+,p/+,a/+,pb/pb        Pinoy                             12.5%
6 D/+,+/+,Sm/+,+/+, +/+, +/+,p/+,a/+,pb/pb      Pinoy smokey                 12.5%
7 D/+,S/+,+/+,+/+, +/+, +/+,p/+,a/+,pb/pb         Pinoy Ghost                    12.5%
8 D/+,S/+,Sm/+,+/+, +/+, +/+,p/+,a/+,pb/pb       Pinoy smokey ghost        12.5%

[center]List of unique phenotypes:

# Phenotypes             %
1 Blue silver               12.5 %
2 Blue smokey            12.5 %
3 Blue ghost               12.5 %
4 Blue smokey ghost    12.5 %
5 Black lace pinoy        12.5 %
6 Pinoy smokey           25    %
7 Black ghost pinoy      12.5 %

The fish you bought from me were from a cross of
Blue Smokey Pearlscale (male) X Albino Pinoy Ghost (female).

The fish you bought most likely has these genes. Keep in mind that
everything I said about the genetics about the fish is based on
my observation and can't be proven unless test cross are done.

Blue Smokey  
+/+,+/+,Sm/+,+/+, +/+, +/+,p/+,a/+,pb/pb                

xxxxx
Pinoy Ghost
D/+,S/+,+/+,+/+, +/+, +/+,p/+,a/+,pb/pb

The phenotypes below are the fish you will see inside you tank. The percentage might vary based
on how you have raised them and in what condition.

List of unique phenotypes:

# Phenotypes                                           %
1 Blue silver                                         7.03125 %
2 Blue silver albino                                2.34375 %
3 Blue silver pearlscale                          2.34375 %
4 Blue silver pearlscale albino                 0.78125 %
5 Blue smokey                                     7.03125 %
6 Blue smokey albino                            2.34375 %
7 Blue smokey pearlscale                       2.34375 %
8 Blue smokey pearlscale albino              0.78125 %
9 Blue ghost                                         7.03125 %
10 Blue ghost albino                               2.34375 %
11 Blue ghost pearlscale                         2.34375 %
12 Blue ghost pearlscale albino                 0.78125 %
13 Blue smokey ghost                             7.03125 %
14 Blue smokey ghost albino                    2.34375 %
15 Blue smokey ghost pearlscale               2.34375 %
16 Blue smokey ghost pearlscale albino      0.78125 %
17 Black lace pinoy                                 .03125 %
18 Black lace pinoy albino                        2.34375 %
19 Black lace pinoy pearlscale                  2.34375 %
20 Black lace pinoy pearlscale albino         0.78125 %
21 Pinoy smokey                                   14.0625 %
22 Pinoy smokey albino                         4.6875 %
23 Pinoy smokey pearlscale                   4.6875 %
24 Pinoy smokey pearlscale albino          1.5625 %
25 Black ghost pinoy                             7.03125 %
26 Black ghost pinoy albino                   2.34375 %
27 Black ghost pinoy pearlscale              2.34375 %
28 Black ghost pinoy pearlscale albino     0.78125 %

ps. The pearlscales I sold you came from a tank full of different sized pearlscale.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   Sun May 24, 2015 1:04 am

Thanks for the info Neo. I'm sorry but it may have been your intention to tell me the genetics of the parents but I know you never mentioned them. You did say I may that find some Albino in the offspring. Trust me, as important as having knowledge of the genetics of the parents is to me, I would have written it down on the spot. Rarely, do most of us know the genetics for certain without several outcrosses. The most important thing is that you did try to come up with the genetics when requested and I truly appreciate that. Thanks...Neutral

It's become my assumption that there maybe other hidden genes present because I see a higher diversity of Genotypes than listed and some Genotypes not listed in your post. I ran the numbers based on the info you sent me yesterday and I came up with similar results. Obviously, there is more going on genetically than the eye can see. What is most important to me is that I got the Pinoy I was hoping for in the first cross. Thanks again...Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Super Spawn Party   

Back to top Go down

Super Spawn Party

View previous topic View next topic Back to top