Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Possible Ich (Ick)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Passionweed
CVASMember

PostSubject: Possible Ich (Ick)   Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hello Fish Friends,

OK...I may possibly be facing my first fish illness.  I'm reading a dozen different ways to treat Ich (Ick).  Would
love to hear some of you opinions.

My tanks is new (almost 6 weeks old) 5.5 gallon fluval tank with 5 very active guppies.  The tank has cycled.  My pH is
7.2, Ammonia 0. Nitrite 0, Nitrate .05-.10.  I'm doing 1 gallon water changes about every three days.  I also have a small
10 watt heater in the tank and that keeps the water temp at exactly 78*.  I also put a small amount of aquarium salt in
the water as PetSmart told me this would be beneficial to the guppies (1 Tbsp. for 5 gallons).  There are no live plants in this tank.  

The guppies are VERY active and eating well.  This aquarium is on my desk and I see these fish all day long.  Yesterday I
noticed 1 fish was occasionally 'scratching' himself on one of the rock decorations in the tank, I didn't think anything of it at
the time.  Today all 5 guppies are doing this intermittently.  There are NO signs of white salt like specks on the fish...but I am
wondering if this might be the beginning of Ich?  One week ago I added 2 guppies from LFS to the tank.

I don't want to be a 'fish tank hypocondriate'....but I also don't want to be caught off guard in the event this turns into
something more.  I keep reading that these medications can/will kill your biological filtration (which I have worked so hard
for these past 6 weeks)...I sure hate to wipe it out now and have to start over...plus, what in the world would I do with the
guppies in the meantime?  A dilemma Sad

I also am reading about the high temperature treatment which I really like the idea of.  I would have to go buy another heater which would allow me to control the temperature (that's no problem).  

Any thoughts from your vast knowledge would be SO appreciated Smile

Many Thanks,
Dave
Barboursville, VA
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Possible Ich (Ick)   Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:51 pm

Good news, Dave!  Cautiously optimistic, a good way to be.  

Continue to do the gravel siphon when you do the pwc's.  Flush the siphon hose with diluted hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) after each use, and then rinse it thoroughly with plain water.     

ddavis wrote:
It is my presumption that well water at the foot of the mountains would be very hard water.
 That is true of new mountain ranges but the water running down old mountain ranges is mineral-poor.

Gerald wrote:
The gill fluke pictures I have seen they are tiny and embedded between the gill filaments - you need a microscope or at least a high-power hand lens to see them; certainly not long enough to be hanging out from the gill cover. Could you be thinking of anchor worms? (which are actually copepods, not worms).
I don't doubt for a second that I was thinking of, and picturing, anchor "worms."  As I said, I was trying to come up with a vivid image for Passionweed to give him an idea of what to look for as he inspected his fish.  Hope it did not cause confusion.

Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Possible Ich (Ick)   Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:40 am

Deb, didn't you post a detailed bio of the ick life-cycle in another post? I remember reading one but not quite sure where or who wrote it. Sorry if my memory is playing tricks on me.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Possible Ich (Ick)   Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:36 am

That rings a bell with me, Nick, so I tried to find it but couldn't.  
However, Ron posted this link to a trustworthy article on the subject from Cichlid Forum:
Ich Article  

Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Possible Ich (Ick)   Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:07 pm

Thanks Deb. I think that is what I remember reading and it leads me to a question. From what I understand after reading the article, the "ick" causing parasite has very defined life cycle so if you do not observed ick in your tank for a couple of months, then there is no organisms present as they have died. The only way to re-introduce Ick is by a new infected fish. Is this the way you interpret the article?

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Possible Ich (Ick)   Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:58 pm

Yes, that's the way I read it.  The one exception named in the article is in the very rare, and maybe only theoretical, cases as described in the final paragraph of the article.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Possible Ich (Ick)   Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:59 pm

I find reading most post about fish diseases and parasites intriguing. Often times we  hobbyist make false diagnosis and over treat our tanks with medications. In my experience, based on what I have seen and read it is highly unlikely that all disease and parasites are ever totally eradicated from our tanks. Most disease and parasites are opportunistic. They depend on stressed fish that have compromised immune systems to get a toehold and produce symptoms we can observe.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. There in not a replacement for husbandry. There is not a crystal ball with all the answers. There in not a replacement for water changes or such a thing as too many water changes with good water...Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Possible Ich (Ick)   Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:54 pm

I agree - many disease "bugs" including ich are probably present at low levels in most tanks, not causing any obvious disease symptoms, until there's a weakened/stressed fish to multiply on. We often blame the new fish for bringing in disease, but sometimes the disaese is in our home tank and infects the new fish there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Passionweed
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Possible Ich (Ick)   Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:58 pm

Hey Everyone,

It's been 10 day's since I last posted but I wanted to let some time pass to be sure that whatever was causing the flashing was definitely gone.....AND, I'm glad to report, all is well in my tank.  I kept the temperature in the tank at 86-88 for a week and then slowly lowered it down to 78.  I also put in a small amount of aquarium salt into the tank.  The fish handle everything beautifully and the flashing has not occurred now for 8 days so I think everything is OK.

I did have slightly elevated ammonia (.25-.50) for a couple of days so I dropped another airstone into the tank and did small PWC within 48 hours the ammonia dropped back to 0, no harm was done and everything seems stabilized.  pH 7.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10.

Not quite sure what this was as I never did see the white sugar spots...but something was making the fish itch terribly.  I guess it was some kind of a parasite, but this seemed to do the trick without adding chemicals to the water Smile

Stay warm everyone....dang it's cold up here in the hills (-7* tonight)!

Many Thanks,
Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Possible Ich (Ick)   Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:34 pm

Hey Dave!
I just love to hear of outcomes like yours. Your old school, common sense approach to husbandry paid off. It is cold. I'm blessed to have food and shelter. I'm praying for the homeless. Congrats, this is one cool hobby...Laughing

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible Ich (Ick)   

Back to top Go down

Possible Ich (Ick)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top