Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

40g Breeder build

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: 40g Breeder build   Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi guys. I have said I was going to start a thread about my 40g Breeder build. So here it is. Just a warning it will have a couple pictures from through out the build.

The first picture is of the stand being built but not completely finished. It still needs a couple leg supports added. Which you will see in a couple photos later.
Also sorry this photo is a little blurry. i was using my old phone to take this one.

The next couple of photos are from the stand "skinning" process. You can see the extra support legs from the via from the back of the stand. You can also see I added a floor to the bottom as well.

the cabinet door.

you can also see the purplish pink foam insulation sheeting I'm using to help level the tank once it's filled with water.

In this photo you can see the cabinet door supports 2x2s in place before i cut the skin out for the door to be installed.

Here is a photo of one of the lights I'm going to use on this setup. I have 3 of them they are 20W LED outdoor flood lights. I think I may have too much light for this setup. But i will only use as many as I need in the end. I can always use them for something else. I think I paid $45 for all 3 of them shipped from Amazon.

Next is the starting of my hood build.

Here is a little bit of a closer view of the hood. You can also see the wood that will go into the tank as well as the egg crate to support the rocks I will use in the setup as well.

here is another closeup if the hood from the inside.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:04 pm

I'm excited for you... bounce
The stand is looking great. Nice wood working.
What do you plan on breeding?

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Angelfish Show Tank
(Angelfish, Guppies, Neons and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Growout Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Growout Tank
10 gal. Planted Bristled Nose Plecos and Guppy Show Tank
(Guppies, Bristled Nose Plecos and kuhli Loaches)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ciscosdad
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:12 pm

Looks great. I am interested in those lights, I have had my eyes on them for a while. Would love to know more about them and see them up and running. I think I will be doing the same this summer.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:05 pm

What sort of wood are you putting in the tank? It looks like a curly root. Is it manzanita?

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:57 pm

The tag from the wood says it's called spider wood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:26 pm

Pictures of the lights

hood construction nearly complete. just need to add some support on the back. with lights on.

with lights off

Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:36 am

I have added the cabinet doors hinges and handle this morning and sanded all of the nail holes. I'm getting close to having everything ready to paint.
   So I'm starting to think about types of fish and plants I would like to home in this setup. I know i will have several varieties of Cories, Neon Tetras, Guppies, and, Otos. I was toying with adding Angelfish to this list. Any suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Chris

Last edited by cholt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ciscosdad
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:01 pm

Looks great! I love the lights, That is going to be my next projrct for my 75. Do you mind giving more info on them? I like them a lot. I Have been doing some research on LED floods but have not had the time to do it yet. Seeing yours I may have to biter the bullet.

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:41 pm

these are the ones I have in my setup. They may be overkill because they are very bright. I'm not sure I will end up using all 3 of them. Also they come with a short wire to hard wire them to a circuit. I opened them up and rewired them with AC cords(old computer cords with one end hacked off) that can plug into the wall or a power strip. they sell others that are "aquarium lights" but they are more $$$.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HZB4MO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:20 pm

Looking good... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:34 am

Chris -  the amazon description on those lights says "90v to 240v".  Do you know what voltage the 20 watt rating is based on?  I assume if they're 20 watts at 240 v then they'd be 10 watts at 120v right? Unless LED technology is a whole 'nother reality from old-time standard electrical principles ???

Just read the customer reviews on it ... not so good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:47 am

I think you're correct on the wattage output. But the difference will be on what the 10W incandescent vs 10W LED will be. The picture in a earlier post shows all 3 lights turned on in the setup. The picture doesn't show how bright they really are.

I did find a design flaw in the lights wiring. The ground wire was only attached with silicone to the casing around the wiring seal on the inside. So when i was rewiring it for a plug ended cable I connected the ground wire to a case screw on the inside of the light. If i had to guess that issue would make the light stop functioning if it were to come loose from the silicone. But i could be completely wrong as well. I'm basically experimenting with these lights since i have some amazon credit and didn't want to spend huge amounts on money on a lighting system. That being said if i had waited a little while Petco had their Fluval lights on a crazy sale not long ago. Baaah....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:23 pm

OK painting is nearly completed. I need fish suggestions. I know i will have several varieties of Cories, Neon Tetras, Guppies, and, Otos. I was toying with adding Angelfish to this list. This will be a planted tank as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:19 am

Tetras: Glowlights, rummynose, red/black phantoms, bleeding heart, emperors, black neon, green neon, kerri, candy-cane, pencilfish, hatchets, characidium, chilodus, ...

Minnows: Rasbora het, espei, cherry barb, checkerboard barb, pentazona barb, white cloud, choprae danio, galaxy danio, ...

Cichlids: dorsigera, curviceps, checkerboard, apistogramma, congochromis, ...
(Angels are fine when small but might be trouble as they get bigger).

Gouramis: honey, croaking, sparkling, badis, ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:49 am

here are a couple photo updates of my built progress.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:06 am

40 gallons is a great size for holding around 5 young adult Angelfish. It is likely that you could get a pair from those five. You still will be able to add a number of other fish. I keep Neons, Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos in with my Angelfish but I would stay away from some barbs. They can be fin nippers. Angelfish will become territorial when they start pairing off but seldom do any real damage to each other. For the most part Angelfish will not bother or chase fish they can not swallow in one gulp. African Cichlids will breed in a tank that size too. They are very colorful and a big part of the hobby. They are not as plant or small fish friendly as Angelfish. There are so many choices. That's an outstand build. Good luck...Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:35 pm

Tank build is complete. Well the stand and hood build is completed. Now i have to repaint the room this will go in so I can move the tank into place and start the 2nd part of the build process. The wood, rocks, and plants. You know the real fun part. Once that is completed and the tank has cycled(my least favorite part). At least I have a donor tank to kick start the cycling of the system from. Then onto adding some fish.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:52 am

@cholt wrote:
Tank build is complete. Well the stand and hood build is completed. Now i have to repaint the room this will go in so I can move the tank into place and start the 2nd part of the build process. The wood, rocks, and plants. You know the real fun part. Once that is completed and the tank has cycled(my least favorite part). At least I have a donor tank to kick start the cycling of the system from. Then onto adding some fish.

Fantastic job my friend. I can't wait to see pictures of your tank up and running... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:21 am

So I finally finished painting my dining room so I could move my new tank setup into place. Here are a couple pictures of the setup. The wood and stones will need some reworking in the tank but that's a on going process right..... I will take another picture tonight when i get home from work. Next step are plants and another CO2 reactor build!!!!!!

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:21 am

The stand took a coat(s) of paint very nicely! The wood must have been sanded very smooth.  Good job. ThumbsUp  Congrats on getting the tank into the dining room. *lol*  The stand is a beautiful piece of furniture and the tank will be as attractive as any artwork.  

It's shaping up already.  I asked about the wood once before, but may I ask where you got it?  
And what gravel are you using?  Is it a mix?  

Laying out the rocks the way you did is a good idea, if you are considering corys for this tank.  I can explain more later, if you get them.

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:53 am

I got the wood at PAW. I have seen them use it in their planted tanks they have there. I cant remember the name of the wood. I removed the tag a while back. I'm pretty sure i replied to the question about the wood before so it should be here somewhere. I will have to look for it. the gravel is the brown flora-max you can get a petsmart. I used 3 bags in the tank. I used the same style in my 20g tank but had added all purpose sand to the top of it. but at this point the sand has mixed with the flora-max. Below is a link to the gravel. Please explain the rocks and cories more. this tanks main purpose was to be able to get a few varieties of cories. LOL....

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/decor-gravel/caribsea-flora-max-planted-aquarium-substrate-zid36-16757/cat-36-catid-300014?var_id=36-16757&_t=pfm%3Dcategory
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:22 am

I forgot to mention the gravel is the "red" color. more brick browns, some black and some tans for the colors.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:34 am

I remember the wood is called spider wood, but I didn't know where you got it.  If they use it in their planted tanks at PAW it must hold up pretty well, and not break down.  Did they tell you anything about how long it lasts?  Just wondering because it looks like a nice kind of wood to have.  

That sounds like floramax original.  What is the grain size?  How does it feel, under water?  Some say floramax is a bit coarse.    A coarse substrate is all right for corys as long as it's not sharp.  Keeping the water clean is the main thing if you have corys.

As to your layout, corys seem to do better and act more confident in the aquarium when they do not have to cross a big expanse of open substrate.  Laying out rocks as checkpoints gives them something to aim for, and allows them to forage around the tank without "worrying" if they are too exposed.  You will see this better in your final layout, once you have all the plants and any large decor in.  You'll have to adjust the rock layout a few times before you are done but the basic idea is to have several "checkpoint" rocks in the open area.  Maybe a couple made up of two or three rocks in a cluster.

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:51 am

I would say the largest parts of the substrate are about 1/4" at best with most of it begin smaller than that. Its not a smoothed stone substrate. it has "sharp" edges but it looks like its been tumbled a little to make sure its not sharp per say. I have watched my peppered cories in my 20g sift through it and it looks like they don't seem to mind it. but that tank also has sand as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:37 pm

After you said something about the gravel Deb I started to poke around on the Web some more and see what you are talking about now. I think I'm going to need to either replace my substrate with sand, mix it with sand, or put a layer over it. Do you have any recommendation as too which option to choose? This tank will be heavily planted in the end. But that will take time as well.

I will also take a picture of the substrate up close tonight and post it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   

Back to top Go down

40g Breeder build

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-