Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

40g Breeder build

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: 40g Breeder build   Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi guys. I have said I was going to start a thread about my 40g Breeder build. So here it is. Just a warning it will have a couple pictures from through out the build.

The first picture is of the stand being built but not completely finished. It still needs a couple leg supports added. Which you will see in a couple photos later.
Also sorry this photo is a little blurry. i was using my old phone to take this one.

The next couple of photos are from the stand "skinning" process. You can see the extra support legs from the via from the back of the stand. You can also see I added a floor to the bottom as well.

the cabinet door.

you can also see the purplish pink foam insulation sheeting I'm using to help level the tank once it's filled with water.

In this photo you can see the cabinet door supports 2x2s in place before i cut the skin out for the door to be installed.

Here is a photo of one of the lights I'm going to use on this setup. I have 3 of them they are 20W LED outdoor flood lights. I think I may have too much light for this setup. But i will only use as many as I need in the end. I can always use them for something else. I think I paid $45 for all 3 of them shipped from Amazon.

Next is the starting of my hood build.

Here is a little bit of a closer view of the hood. You can also see the wood that will go into the tank as well as the egg crate to support the rocks I will use in the setup as well.

here is another closeup if the hood from the inside.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon May 25, 2015 7:54 pm

I have done that for most everything I have done with this tank either on here or in notes to my self. The only thing I can figure is something with my water change I did last time. The water started out at the right temperature then one of the water valves went crazy and the water temp into the tank went a couple degrees colder than what it was to begin with. So maybe it wa the water temp change so fast. The fish seem to like to swim in the new water coming into the tank from the hose. But my water is city water and I have to treat it. So maybe I need to go back to the bucket and pitcher method of filling the 5g with water at just about the same temp then treating the water then putting it into the tank via pitcher.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon May 25, 2015 8:41 pm

Chris, so sorry to hear of your GBR losses. They are beautiful fish, I have tried to keep them myself on a couple of occasions without success - they seem to be sensitive. I purchased mine from a local box shop and I do not believe they were quality fish.

Your Rams breed for you, as others mentioned that is awesome - maybe you should not give up on that species, they are magnificent fish. 

Did you recently add some new fish, what caused your outbreak of ich?

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon May 25, 2015 9:24 pm

I had add a few fish about week or 2 before they showed signs. But I think it had to do with the water temp dropping vary rapidly on me from the fill setup I had put together. My kitchen faucet is on its last legs to begin with and the water valves are temperamental and the hot turned itself off so I had cold water filling the tank and the temp dropped very rapidly in the tank. That is the only real thing that stands out to me as something being different than my normal water testing, WC, and vacuuming schedule. But I could be completely wrong. I may try one more time once I get back from vacation next week. I'm hoping to have this illness licked before I leave for vacation. I'm leaving Friday and will not be back til the following weekend. We have a neighbor down the street watching our dogs and I will have some food in little glass jars for them to feed the fish twice will I'm gone. I'm a little gun shy with going out of town and letting someone watch the tanks since last year when i was setting my first tank and some friends that were watching our dogs decided to help out by feeding my fish and nearly killed every fish I had in the tank by way way way over feeding them. I came home to cloudy slime covered old food and a couple dead fish and my tank that wasnt completely cycled yet in a complete tail spin. I managed to save most of the fish I had with a couple 50-75% WCs and starting the cycle process over.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue May 26, 2015 10:05 am

The sudden drop in water temp - if it was more than 7 degrees - on the refill may have contributed to weakening some already weak fish, that is something you may never know for sure.  GBRs are known as inherently weak fish, the product of artificial rearing, in which hormones are often used to increase and speed up production, as well as to get the intense color in very young fish making them suitable for early sale.  GBRs all over the world have suffered from this manner of production, and no population is spared regardless of what country it comes from.  

Water quality could be part of what went wrong.  GBRs require pristine - not just good - water conditions, if they are to have a good chance at surviving in the typical aquarium.  Also, they are not particularly good candidates for a community set-up, which I didn't know until just recently when I looked into it.  The new fish you added about two weeks ago have to be suspected as the ones who brought in the Ich, whether they show signs of it yet, or not.  The incubation period is about right, and the rams were prime targets, when the parasites became free-swimming.  

I agree with Tracey - why not try GBRs again, later on when you can set up a species tank for them.  One pair, with a school of peaceful tetras above to calm them down, and temps closer to 80-82dF.

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue May 26, 2015 10:41 am

I think that's a good idea. I may at some point turn the 20g into a GBR tank. That tank has 2 otos, 12-15 neons, 5 cories, and 10 or so guppies in it. I removed the females guppies from that tank and put them in the 40g and the males and fry from the females are still in the 20g. I'm waiting for the fry to get large enough to know what sex they are to know where they need to live. Once I can get them moved I should have enough room for a new pair of GBRs possibly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu May 28, 2015 12:45 pm

ok guys I have a quick question for yall. I'm getting ready to go on vacation starting tomorrow morning. I will be doing a WC in my tanks this evening. how often should i get the people watching our dogs to feed the fish?? I will have everything set out with the portions in small glass jars/cups for each tank. Just curious how many times I should get them to feed them. I usually feed every couple of days. but I wont be there to keep an eye on them either. i will be returning home late June 7th more than likely. So a WC wont happen til at least June 8th after work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu May 28, 2015 1:46 pm

Since you will be gone for ten days, the fish-minders should feed the fish in five days.  That is, only once.  You will feed them before you leave (presumably) and when you get back.  Small fish in a planted tank will find things to eat to tide them over the two five-day periods. If you were raising fry it would be a different story.

Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu May 28, 2015 3:25 pm

I put my food in little zip lock bags and marked the day in magic marker on each bag. Then told them not to worry if they miss a day and do not dump all the food in on the last day thinking that it would make up for a missed day. That helps with portion control.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:35 pm

well I'm back from vacation and all is well. wild joy I have done the water change on my 20g and added a new pair of GBRs to that tank. I was able to pick a "paired" pair at my LFS that was starting to build a spawning area in that tank. I also picked up a Nerite snail for my 40g I believe its a tiger stripe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:10 am

Don'tcha love it? What a relief, lol. I do the same thing as Fward, with the zip loc baggies, and that seems to prevent any issues. I tell anyone feeding my fish that I'd rather they NOT feed them at all than feed them too much, so if they forget a feeding to just not worry about it.

It is always nice to come home and find everything just as you left it, no matter how well you prepare the fish-sitter.

I hope the GBRs will set up housekeeping for you!

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:08 am

Good news! Just curious - how many days were you gone and how often were the fish fed during that time? Good luck with the new GBRs! Keep us posted on how they do.

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:44 am

I was gone from the morning of May 29th thru late evening June 6th. I fed them right before we left and they were fed one time( i believe on Tuesday June 2nd) and then around 10 pm on the 6th. I performed a WC on both tanks on Sunday the 7th before adding the new additions.

While on vacation in the Daytona beach area I got my fish fix by visiting a couple LFS in the area and went to a Marine Science Museum in Ponce Inlet. While at the LFS I was able to see Discus in person for the first time. AWESOME looking fish!!!!!! One of the LFS was the store front for cichlidexpress.com. They had a huge variety of cichlids. I almost got some GBRs from them to transport home since they know how to pack for shipping. but they only seemed to have males. But they were very large(nearly adult size). They had 4 green houses full of coffin liners used as breeding tanks for their cichlids. I was able to walk through one of the four green houses. the other LFS was where I was able to see the Discus. This shop was primarily a saltwater shop. they had a huge variety of fish and coral. As well as a huge shark tank with a couple different species swimming around.

I came to conclusion that the popular types of fish tanks in the area were saltwater and cichlids.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:26 pm

tank update. Fish List.

What I have in the tank now.
2 German Blue Rams (1M+1F)
11 Panda Cory(6 already and 5 more from PVAS auction)
5 Juli Cory
8 Habrosus Pygmy Cory(may add a couple more later)
6 Pygmaeus Cory(1 already and 5 from PVAS auction)
4 Female guppies from my 20g.
8 Black Neon Tetras
8 Glowlight Tetras
14 Neon Tetras
8 Otos
1 Nerite Snail (Tiger/Zebra stripe)

What I plan on adding later.
5 small Angelfish and removing the ones that don't pair off or adding a 1 pair.
5 one other variety of Cory (cant remember the name. But LFS has this variety)
4 Neon Tetras(maybe)
1 Bristle Nose Pleco (from Nick_B)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:46 pm

Here is a short video of my 40g with a couple of new additions I picked up today. They had paired off at the LFS and they caught my eye as they were protecting one side of the tank from another pair in the tank. Let me know what you think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:39 am

Thanks for posting. I couldn't help but to notice those Silver Angelfish. IMO, they took your tank to a new level... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Angelfish Show Tank
(Angelfish, Guppies, Neons and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Growout Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Growout Tank
10 gal. Planted Bristled Nose Plecos and Guppy Show Tank
(Guppies, Bristled Nose Plecos and kuhli Loaches)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:21 am

Nice! great The angelfish look great.  IMO the corys take your tank to a new level but angelfish are nice, too. *lol*  
Love the little Oto at 1:01!  

btw, there are GBRs on your stock list above.  Are they in the 40 or the 20?

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:31 am

Thanks for the reminder to edit my fish list Deb.
tank update. Fish List.

What I have in the tank now.
2 Angelfish (1M+1F) They were purchased as Pearl Scale Zebra.
11 Panda Cory(6 already and 5 more from PVAS auction)
5 Juli Cory
8 Habrosus Pygmy Cory(may add a couple more later)
6 Pygmaeus Cory(1 already and 5 from PVAS auction)
3 Female guppies from my 20g.
8 Black Neon Tetras
8 Glowlight Tetras
14 Neon Tetras
8 Otos
1 Nerite Snail (Tiger/Zebra stripe)

What I plan on adding later.
5 one other variety of Cory (cant remember the name. But LFS has this variety)
4 Neon Tetras(maybe)
1 Bristle Nose Pleco (from Nick_B)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:00 pm

So this is what I come home to today in my 40g. They have only been in the tank since Tuesday or Wednesday.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:52 pm

I get home from a day of running around and look for the angelfish eggs and they are gone. Then I notice some movement on the plant just to the right of where the eggs had been this morning and I see this.

I have wigglers....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:24 pm

Congrats!!! Now is the perfect time to harvest and raise the offspring away from the parents. They have done the hardest part for you... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:35 pm

I only have a 5g tank available and I don't have a good heater for that tank. I have bought 3 heaters for that tank and they seem to burn out in about a week every time. I can get a second 5g from my mother-n-law. But I would need all the other parts for that tank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:17 pm

You should be able to see the wigglers eyes in this video I think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:23 pm

I see them... bounce
The wiggles have developed quite a bit. The next stage is free swimming. That's when things get really interesting. Are you prepared to hatch BBS? Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:58 pm

Working on getting some daphnia.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:21 pm

Daphnia is cool to feed but IMHO BBS is better and easier... Neutral
Hatching BBS has had a huge impact on my involvement in the hobby. I feed them daily at times... Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   

Back to top Go down

40g Breeder build

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-