Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

40g Breeder build

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: 40g Breeder build   Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi guys. I have said I was going to start a thread about my 40g Breeder build. So here it is. Just a warning it will have a couple pictures from through out the build.

The first picture is of the stand being built but not completely finished. It still needs a couple leg supports added. Which you will see in a couple photos later.
Also sorry this photo is a little blurry. i was using my old phone to take this one.

The next couple of photos are from the stand "skinning" process. You can see the extra support legs from the via from the back of the stand. You can also see I added a floor to the bottom as well.

the cabinet door.

you can also see the purplish pink foam insulation sheeting I'm using to help level the tank once it's filled with water.

In this photo you can see the cabinet door supports 2x2s in place before i cut the skin out for the door to be installed.

Here is a photo of one of the lights I'm going to use on this setup. I have 3 of them they are 20W LED outdoor flood lights. I think I may have too much light for this setup. But i will only use as many as I need in the end. I can always use them for something else. I think I paid $45 for all 3 of them shipped from Amazon.

Next is the starting of my hood build.

Here is a little bit of a closer view of the hood. You can also see the wood that will go into the tank as well as the egg crate to support the rocks I will use in the setup as well.

here is another closeup if the hood from the inside.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:23 pm

I'm going to build a BBS setup tonight and get those going this evening.  The only issue i see is that the angel fry are in my 40g community tank and feeding just them will be impossible. But i think the BBS can benefit the entire tank population.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:28 am

@cholt wrote:
I'm going to build a BBS setup tonight and get those going this evening.  The only issue i see is that the angel fry are in my 40g community tank and feeding just them will be impossible. But i think the BBS can benefit the entire tank population.

Yes, that is correct. It is very likely that you will see improvement in all the smaller fish in the tank...Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:52 am

Can't wait to see what kind of BBS set-up you decide to build, Chris. Very Happy

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:44 am

Yep, some pictures would be wonderful... Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:56 pm

Well my BBS setup is the 2 liter bottle setup. I will take a picture of it later tonight. The sad news is that I lost all of the angelfish fry to the community fish in my tank when I fed the BBS this afternoon. The fry came out of hiding to eat the bbs and became food themselves. I ordered a marina breeder box either yesterday evening or this morning(I can't remember) and will be in on Tuesday. My LFS was out of the one I wanted yesterday when I went by to get one. Baah.
I will look at the silver lining on this.
1. my angelfish pair seem to be great parents
2. I should have everything I need for the next round of fry from either my angelfish or my GBRs.
3. I will have both BBS and daphnia ready as well after this evening. A Thank you to NickB in advance for the daphnia colony starter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:18 am

Chris, I don't know a lot about culturing Daphnia because BBS has worked so well for me. So, I'm interested in your results culturing both crustaceans. I have alluded to the "inverted Coke kit" several times. This is the one I have had in mind and was comparing everything else too...

Actually, I have to admit that the current "consumer version" of the "Coke bottle BBS hatchery" has improved. The base is larger now. I'm not sure it is better enough to say I like it.  I have noticed that you have made several well-constructed and thought out projects. I'm sure you will come up with a new and improved version of the Coke bottle BBS hatchery. A few of things that I do not like about the inverted Coke bottle are that the bottle is rather flimsy, thin flexible plastic, it's top heavy and the lack of a secure top. Many hobbyists overcome this by building some type of stand to hold the bottle. Happy building… Laughing

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:11 am

Tank Update.
What I have in the tank now.
2 Angelfish (1M+1F) They were purchased as Pearl Scale Zebra.
11 Panda Cory(6 already and 5 more from PVAS auction)
7 Juli Cory
8 Habrosus Pygmy Cory(may add a couple more later)
6 Pygmaeus Cory(1 already and 5 from PVAS auction)
4 Kanei Cories
3 Female guppies from my 20g.
11 Black Neon Tetras
11 Glowlight Tetras
14 Neon Tetras
7 Otos
1 Nerite Snail (Tiger/Zebra stripe)

What I plan on adding later.
1 more Kanei Cory
1 Bristle Nose Pleco (from Nick_B)

Right now I'm not hatching any brine shrimp since the fry were all eaten by the other tank inhabitants the last round, but my angels seem to be grooming a couple of places in the tank right now. So I'm guessing they will spawn again in the near future.  I am also working on my daphnia tank creating "green water" for them from old WCs. Once I'm able to get a new culture I will add them to that and see how it goes. I have some ideas for my brine shrimp hatching 2 liter setup after i looked at the one NickB had made. I did pickup a few more cories for my tank yesterday afternoon. I picked up 4 Kanei Cories, 2 more false Juli cories, and a sword plant for my 40g. I feel dumb for buying the following plant for my 20g. I usually will look up the plant on my phone before I buy any but i didn't this time. I bought a small bunch of purple waffle plant. which is a bog plant not a true aquatic plant. So I'm going to see what it does in my tank. If it started to die I will pull it out and call it a learning experience.

Last edited by cholt on Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:22 pm

Well that near future was about an hour ago...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:14 pm

@cholt wrote:

Right now I'm not hatching any brine shrimp since the fry were all eaten by the other tank inhabitants the last round, but my angels seem to be grooming a couple of places in the tank right now. So I'm guessing they will spawn again in the near future.  I am also working on my daphnia tank creating "green water" for them from old WCs. Once I'm able to get a new culture I will add them to that and see how it goes. I have some ideas for my brine shrimp hatching 2 liter setup after i looked at the one NickB had made. I did pickup a few more cories for my tank yesterday afternoon. I picked up 4 Kanei Cories, 2 more false Juli cories, and a sword plant for my 40g. I feel dumb for buying the following plant for my 20g. I usually will look up the plant on my phone before I buy any but i didn't this time. I bought a small bunch of purple waffle plant. which is a bog plant not a true aquatic plant. So I'm going to see what it does in my tank. If it started to die I will pull it out and call it a learning experience.

I'm interested in hearing how it goes with the Daphnia tank. I met a hobbyist once who used a 55 gallon tank to raise his Daphnia. That size tank was a deterrent and reason enough for me not to try. I'm guessing that you will be trying something on a smaller scale.

Hatching BBS a skill that is best perfected before you need them. Practice hatches won't go to waste. Most small fish love freshly hatched BBS. Once your Angels do lay eggs again you will have only a few days to prepare for their critical first feeding...Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:33 pm

They spawned on Saturday afternoon an they're to the wiggler stage already. I started a thing of BBS this afternoon. I also have some first bites food as well just in case.

For the daphnia setup I have a 5g tank setup now. I put a wc from my 40g in it and it seems to be turning a little green already. I also have a 2nd 5g coming from my mother-n-law to use as a grow out tank if needed. I will be ordering a heater for that setup tonight or tomorrow. I can either use a penguin 150 or a small sponge filter for it that I have already as well. I'm thinking the 150 is way over kill. But to start them out I have a marina breeder box setup and ready to go to begin with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:56 pm

@cholt wrote:
They spawned on Saturday afternoon an they're to the wiggler stage already. I started a thing of BBS this afternoon. I also have some first bites food as well just in case.  

For the daphnia setup I have a 5g tank setup now. I put a wc from my 40g in it and it seems to be turning a little green already. I also have a 2nd 5g coming from my mother-n-law to use as a grow out tank if needed. I will be ordering a heater for that setup tonight or tomorrow. I can either use a penguin 150 or a small sponge filter for it that I have already as well. I'm thinking the 150 is way over kill. But to start them out I have a marina breeder box setup and ready to go to begin with.

It must be an exciting show right now... bounce
I would go with the sponge filter. They are frequently used in fry tanks because they are gentle. Have you hatched BBS before? If possible, please post pictures and keep us updated... Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:08 pm

I have a batch of BBS going right now(my second batch ever). They should hatch out sometime in the next 24 hours.

Johnny are you looking for pictures of the BBS setup, daphnia setup or the wigglers?

The spawn happened Saturday afternoon and they went into the wiggler stage yesterday with some starting to show the eyes forming yesterday evening. Its easy to keep a eye on them since the tank is in my dining room/kitchen area. My guess is that by the time I get home this evening most will have 2 black dots for eyes. I will hopefully transfer them to a Marina HOB breeder box right before they go to the free swimming stage. I will have that ready to go by this evening as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:37 pm

The wigglers from this last spawning. As you can see I have the breeder box ready to go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:39 am

Hey, that's a good looking tank. I really like the aquascaping. I had to go full screen the moment I started the video. I can see the wigglers from your first spawn. You are right, once they start hanging like that it won't be long before some of them start to venture out on their own. That's when they become hard for the parents to protect.

IMO, that's the best time to move them. I siphon mine out with a length of ridged tubing connected to some flexible tubing into a white plastic container (the kind that cottage cheese is packaged). I'm then able to place them where they can continue to develop and become free swimmers...Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:29 pm

Johnny right now the wigglers have very pronounced eyes, yolk sacks, and are still stuck to the drift wood via that sticky cord thing on their heads. Are you saying now is a good time to put them into the breeder box or wait till their yolk sack is closer to being gone and just as the first start to free swim before i move them over. My BBS should be just about ready to hatch out this evening or by the morning. I'm guessing they should be just about ready when the angels are ready for them..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:17 am

I moved the wigglers to the breeder box last night. Some of the wigglers had started to go free swimming.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:54 pm

Cool... Cool
The smaller container will allow the fry to easily find the BBS. Try to resist feeding them too early and over feeding...Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:53 pm

" />

the filter floss is were I'm trying to hide the fry from the parents. They are still protecting them the best way they can figure out. They wont let any of the other fish in the tank near the breeder box which is hanging on the outside of the tank..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:28 pm

Wow!!! Free Swimmers cheers
I am always surprised by the number of fry produced in a spawn. Are they feeding yet?bounce

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:50 pm

Yes from what I can tell. They seem to like both the first bites as well as the bbs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:34 pm

just a small update. I have about 20-25 angelfish fry in my breeder box. I have had some issues keeping them in the box. I finally came up with a OK solution to keep them out of the larger community tank where they become a snack for the tetras. I bought a filter sponge for a AquaClear 70 and trimmed it down to size to create a barrier the fry have a hard time getting through(they can still get through it if they work at it) and doesn't make the box want to overflow all over the floor.

Next I will see how they do over the next week while I'm on vacation. I will be showing my neighbor how to feed them the first bites food since I wont be here to keep the BBS going. I have been alternating the first bites and BBS at feeding so they will at least know what to do with the first bites. Fingers crossed I will still have some fry when I get back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:17 am

Just curious - how were the fry getting out of the breeder box? And where did you put the piece of foam? AC foam is coarse but it should do the job. Good fix. Very Happy

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:45 am

The fry are actually small enough to fit through the little grates that the marina breed box has. I put the foam inside the breeder box just to the left of the exit overflow so there is a small area to be able to catch the fry that have made their way through the foam.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:50 pm

@cholt wrote:
just a small update. I have about 20-25 angelfish fry in my breeder box. I have had some issues keeping them in the box. I finally came up with a OK solution to keep them out of the larger community tank where they become a snack for the tetras. I bought a filter sponge for a AquaClear 70 and trimmed it down to size to create a barrier the fry have a hard time getting through(they can still get through it if they work at it) and doesn't make the box want to overflow all over the floor.

Next I will see how they do over the next week while I'm on vacation. I will be showing my neighbor how to feed them the first bites food since I wont be here to keep the BBS going. I have been alternating the first bites and BBS at feeding so they will at least know what to do with the first bites. Fingers crossed I will still have some fry when I get back.  

Have a good vacation. I have my fingers crossed for you too... Hello

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:57 pm

Just finished my weekly water change on my tanks. From what I can tell i only have about a dozen angel fry left. I will need to come up with a better barrier solution than the AQ70 sponge the next go round.( Suggestion are appreciated ) I need something that has smaller holes in it but allows the water to flow freely enough that the box doesn't overflow. It will overflow back into the main tank but that kinda defeats the purpose as the fry will just swim right out into the main tank. I do have a old school net breeder box I can use if it comes to that. I'm going to guess that by the time I get back from vacation I wont have any fry from this round left. But I would also guess that i will have another round shortly. I would also guess I will have some GBR eggs in the 20g when I get back since they seem to be bullying the cories tonight. Not a normal thing with them. I'm guessing they are trying to figure out where they want to spawn.
The other cool thing i got to see today at the LFS was a tank full of German Golden Rams. I unfortunately dont have room for any in my tanks. Mad  And no i dont have room for another  bowl /my wife would kill me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   

Back to top Go down

40g Breeder build

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-