Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

40g Breeder build

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: 40g Breeder build   Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi guys. I have said I was going to start a thread about my 40g Breeder build. So here it is. Just a warning it will have a couple pictures from through out the build.

The first picture is of the stand being built but not completely finished. It still needs a couple leg supports added. Which you will see in a couple photos later.
Also sorry this photo is a little blurry. i was using my old phone to take this one.

The next couple of photos are from the stand "skinning" process. You can see the extra support legs from the via from the back of the stand. You can also see I added a floor to the bottom as well.

the cabinet door.

you can also see the purplish pink foam insulation sheeting I'm using to help level the tank once it's filled with water.

In this photo you can see the cabinet door supports 2x2s in place before i cut the skin out for the door to be installed.

Here is a photo of one of the lights I'm going to use on this setup. I have 3 of them they are 20W LED outdoor flood lights. I think I may have too much light for this setup. But i will only use as many as I need in the end. I can always use them for something else. I think I paid $45 for all 3 of them shipped from Amazon.

Next is the starting of my hood build.

Here is a little bit of a closer view of the hood. You can also see the wood that will go into the tank as well as the egg crate to support the rocks I will use in the setup as well.

here is another closeup if the hood from the inside.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:42 am

I was wondering how using a Breeder Box was going to work out for you. The problems you encountered are common when using the Breeder Box models sold in stores. In principle they work but when they meet the reality of rearing Angelfish to free swimmers, problems occur.  Steve Rybicki of Angels Plus came up with his solution for the problems many of us hobbyist face when hatching Angelfish eggs or rearing wigglers. It involves using a gallon pickle jar, some sponge filter material and tubing. I know at least one local hobbyist who routinely breeds Angelfish and has used the Jar Method developed by Steve.

I can't claim that have used the Jar Method. Out of necessity I came up with my own method but like Steve’s method it involves the principles of the Breeder Box. That is the use of water from a larger stable tank to hatch eggs in a small secure container. Hatching in jars is nothing new. Steve's twist is using the controlled temperature and water quality from a larger tank to aid getting to the free swimming stage. I don’t use a jar but the principle is the same. Here's a link to... Steve's Hatching/Wiggler Rearing Jar
BTW: There's a great video on the same page...Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:36 pm

Just got a text from my neighbor saying my angelfish had spawned again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:08 am

@cholt wrote:
Just got a text from my neighbor saying my angelfish had spawned again.

One more tank, one more tank, one more tank, one more tank, one more tank, one more tank, one more tank, just one more tank... too much!

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:30 am

This is great - you're going to be overrun, because it is SO HARD to not try to save babies. 

I may have missed something but have you had to cull any yet? That's a tough part of it, too.... 

So glad you're documenting everything here!

View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:36 am

So far I haven't had to cull any yet. I'm still figuring out a good way to keep them in their breeder box. When they get out of that they are in the main community tank and become a snack for the tetras. I also expect to get a message saying my GBRs have spawned as well. I should have a new heater for my 5g tank once back from vacation. Just need to get the filter put into the main tank to seed the filter with good bacteria.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:47 pm

Got home last night from vacation and the wigglers were all gone and I only have 1 angelfish fry in the breeder box.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:38 pm

On my hang the side box I put a breeder net box on the inside where the overflow comes out. It catches the fry to. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:36 pm

Hope this video helps
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Tank update.  So my angels decided to spawn again last week and I now have a breeder box full of small fry and the one larger fry that's still doing his thing. I modified my sponge setup in the breeder box with the netting from a different breeder box setup around the sponge. So the small fry can't get stuck in the sponge now. I lost one panda cory last week. It was very odd. It started doing the spin of death thing and then died about an hour later. I checked the water parametersand everything looked good. no other fish has shown any issues since. Otherthan the regular maintenance  I haven't done very much with the tank.  I have some river rocks I need to clean up to create some hiding places for the cory cats.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:55 am

Just ordered a new lighting setup for my 40g. It a Finnex Planted + 24/7 LED 30" fixture. Once it has come in and setup I will let everyone know how i like it. It was a toss up between this light and the Fluval Aquasky.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:17 pm

The Finnex 24/7 looks like it will be fun to use. Just curious, why are you changing lighting?

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:57 pm

The led flood lights are burning out. One has completely burnt out and the other are on their way out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:51 am

Tank Update.
What I have in the tank now.
2 Angelfish (1M+1F) They were purchased as Pearl Scale Zebra.
10 Panda Cory
7 Juli Cory
5 Habrosus Pygmy Cory
6 Pygmaeus Cory
2 Kanei Cories
6 Female guppies from my 20g.
11 Black Neon Tetras
11 Glowlight Tetras
14 Neon Tetras
7 Otos
1 Nerite Snail (Tiger/Zebra stripe)

lost a couple habrosus and a panda cory after my last water change using a hose to fill the tank and adding the prime directly to the tank instead of my normal bucket method.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Remember to dose the whole tank when you do a pwc. Even if you only take out 10 gallons, dose Prime for the full 40. Add the prime to the water as the first flow from the Python starts.

Something like what happened to you happened to me with my 75 a few years ago. I lost all of the fish that like to swim into the current, so most of my Otocinclus and many of my corys. Fish that like to hide were okay, because they didn't swim out into the untreated water.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:48 pm

@cholt
I suggest that you have a nursery tank up and running if you don't already have one. You can keep any fish in there until you need to utilize the tank but keep it clean and the water quality high as possible. Bare bottom tanks and sponge filters work perfectly together. It's OK to use your fry container to house your free swimmers for their first few meals in the nursery tank. The fry will need larger quarters soon afterwards and there isn't any tank water better than the tank water they transitioned from wigglers to free swimmers. You seem to be enjoying the process...Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:30 pm

Just a tank update. Been battling a bad case of ich. Luckily I only lost 2 black neon tetras. It's odd that the only species in the tank that seemed to have a issue with ich were the black neons. The rest of the fish seemed to just loose some of their color like they weren't feeling well but they never showed any signs of ich or anything else. I add aquarium salt to the tank which my vals don't seem to like at all. I'm hoping I don't loose any of them but they seem to be very brown right now. But they do still have some green parts. I think it's going to be a plant trimming weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:26 pm

@cholt wrote:
Just a tank update. Been battling a bad case of ich. Luckily I only lost 2 black neon tetras. It's odd that the only species in the tank that seemed to have a issue with ich were the black neons. The rest of the fish seemed to just loose some of their color like they weren't feeling well but they never showed any signs of ich or anything else. I add aquarium salt to the tank which my vals don't seem to like at all. I'm hoping I don't loose any of them but they seem to be very brown right now. But they do still have some green parts. I think it's going to be a plant trimming weekend.

I noticed that you seem to have a reoccurring problem with Ichthyophthirius. We all have seen Ich in our tanks from time to time but the parasites seem to frequent your tanks more often than normal. I think it maybe preventable but you observe your tanks more than I, so you will know best. Ich maybe the number one freshwater fish disease. Ich can be a pesky and serious problem.

Some meds used in treatment of Ich can break at tanks nitrogen cycle and really should be avoided. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get the problem in control. Once you clear up the problem extend treatment an extra week or more if possible. It may help prevent a future outbreaks.

Truly, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure when it comes to ich. Even the most experienced hobbyist have to be constantly on guard for Ich. Any experienced hobbyist will testify to that. Fortunately, Ich can be almost be prevented. A tank is a tank, not a river. You know the rest.. Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:22 am

If I recall I have only had one other case of ich in this tank before now and it was early on in the setup of this tank. I have had it a couple of times in my 20g though. I'm not really sure what this round was brought on by since my water parameters all seem to be pretty good with my weekly WCs and the only thing that really changed was my lighting. I did decide to use a ick treatment for this case, Kordon Ick Attack. It seems to be working well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:40 pm

@cholt, How are things going in this tank now?  
I used Ich*Attack once, not for ich but for a sort of fungus that was growing all over a wild-caught pirareta bristlenose.  It seemed to work - that, and small pwc's and a guppy that liked to pick the fungus off the bn.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:54 am

Ich is actually a very common and often reoccurring problem due to the life cycle of the parasite. It is usually introduced when adding new fish. It's also a good reason to quarantine new fish. There are several opportunities for fish to pick Ich up in the pipeline from supplier to our tanks. I dread introducing new fish into my systems.

Stress is the most predisposing factor in tanks that have been running awhile. IMO, low water temperature, over feeding and poor water quality contribute to outbreaks.  Hopefully, you have nipped it in the bud this time. Most of us have been there...Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:40 am

Everything seems to be happy happy joy joy right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:27 pm

Nice cabinet making skills.

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:40 am

thank you Donald.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:07 am

Tank update. the tank seems to have settled down and is running nicely. My angels have a batch of wigglers right now and I'm going to attempt to grow this batch out. the last 4 or 5 spawnings they have eaten the eggs within a day or two. But I think that was because they spawned on Friday night or Saturday morning. And I do my water changes in my tanks every Saturday night an it spooks them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:55 pm

Any pics?

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   

Back to top Go down

40g Breeder build

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-