Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

40g Breeder build

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: 40g Breeder build   Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi guys. I have said I was going to start a thread about my 40g Breeder build. So here it is. Just a warning it will have a couple pictures from through out the build.

The first picture is of the stand being built but not completely finished. It still needs a couple leg supports added. Which you will see in a couple photos later.
Also sorry this photo is a little blurry. i was using my old phone to take this one.

The next couple of photos are from the stand "skinning" process. You can see the extra support legs from the via from the back of the stand. You can also see I added a floor to the bottom as well.

the cabinet door.

you can also see the purplish pink foam insulation sheeting I'm using to help level the tank once it's filled with water.

In this photo you can see the cabinet door supports 2x2s in place before i cut the skin out for the door to be installed.

Here is a photo of one of the lights I'm going to use on this setup. I have 3 of them they are 20W LED outdoor flood lights. I think I may have too much light for this setup. But i will only use as many as I need in the end. I can always use them for something else. I think I paid $45 for all 3 of them shipped from Amazon.

Next is the starting of my hood build.

Here is a little bit of a closer view of the hood. You can also see the wood that will go into the tank as well as the egg crate to support the rocks I will use in the setup as well.

here is another closeup if the hood from the inside.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:28 pm

@cholt wrote:
Tank update. the tank seems to have settled down and is running nicely. My angels have a batch of wigglers right now and I'm going to attempt to grow this batch out. the last 4 or 5 spawnings they have eaten the eggs within a day or two. But I think that was because they spawned on Friday night or Saturday morning. And I do my water changes in my tanks every Saturday night an it spooks them.

Please keep us updated... study

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:32 am

Here is a short video of my tank and the angels protecting the wigglers from me and the rest of the tank inhabitants. Sorry the glass is a little dirty on the outside from my 2yo son watching the fish as well as the inside is a little dirty since I didn't clean the front glass when I did my WC over the weekend. Didn't want to spook the angels anymore than i had too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:24 am

I see your plants are growing in sand. Do you add any fertilizer to the substrate? Anytime I add Flourish tabs, the sand becomes discolored.

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:20 am

I use have FloraMax substrate under the sand in the areas where most of my plants are. Its a little to sharp edged for the cories in the tank. The sand I use is pool filter sand from HomeDepot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:14 pm

Great tip. Thanks.

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:54 pm

It's been a while since I did a tank update. No real changes in my fish count. I have lost one or 2 fish over the last couple of months but nothing I could say was a tank issue. I would have to guess the fish's age or something of that nature. Tank has been chunking along nicely with all the water levels staying in a nice range(weekly 25% WCs). I have had some plant decline since I stopped the diy co2 setup a few months ago. But I got a more sustainable co2 setup for Christmas. I got a 24oz paintball tank with a electric solenoid regulator setup with a extra tank to boot. So I will see what the plants will do with co2 again (hopefully flourish). The fish and water parameters seem to be happy as well. The ph changes a little but nothing to major or quick.

My angels have spawned numerous times and gotten the fry to the free swimming stage. but that is short lived since this is a community tank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:46 pm

It's good to hear from you. I'm happy to hear your tank is running well. Hope the new co2 setup gives you the result you seek... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:14 pm

@cholt, It's good to hear that the 40 breeder is chugging along nicely.  I'll be interested to hear more about your new CO2 set-up when time allows ... maybe you will have some pix to show us as well, showing where the paintball tank is located, and so on. Very Happy

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:20 pm

here is a list of parts I'm using for my CO2 setup.

Tanks. I ordered 2 of these so i would not have to worry about running out of CO2.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007XKFQCM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

black aquarium hosing. it blends in with my black background.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008UCOFJW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

CO2 diffuser.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I47YVVU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01

CO2 regulator. turns on and off with my lighting setup via same timer setup.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008TJCPSY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01

The only issue i have is the regulator adjustment valve is a little "fun" to get just right. But once you have it set you're good to go.

The tank setup is in the bottom of my stand. im using my DIY CO2 stand to make sure it doesn't fall over for any reason.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:14 pm

Tank update. My fish seem to be doing well. Ive been having issues with black algae. I think i nearly have it under control now. Where my tank is located it gets a lot of natural light on the side of the tank. I have pulled the shear curtain over that side of the tank and it seems to be helping. I need to get some window tint installed on that side of the tank. I think that will do the trick. Just need to come up with the tint and time to install it correctly. I have also been toying with adding a second filter to this tank since is doesn't seem to get as clear as my 20g running a AC50 hob. This tank is a 40g with a AC75 hob. so the 20g is 2.5 times the size filtering. the 40g is less than 2 times filtering for its.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:24 pm

@cholt It's always good to hear anybody say things are well. I hope the curtain trick works out. It's pretty hard to control lighting when unfiltered natural light is present. I have run the same two Topfin 60 HOB filters in my 55 gallon show tank for more than 20 years with few problems. I like the even distribution of currents created by two filters more than one. So, I suggest you give it a try...Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:21 pm

Well I had a very strange thing happen last night while doing my weekly wc. I was moving some new rocks around the tank and my male angelfish decided to loose his stuff and go flying around the tank and got himself jammed stuck for a moment. He floated around upside down for a minute then seemed to go back to normal after that. Today he has a white scuff mark on his eye, a scuffed up area just below his dorsal fin and on one of his pectoral fins seems to be scuffed up as well. He seems to be breathing faster than normal today and didn't want to eat. I'm not really sure what I can do other than watch and see what happens. If anyone has a suggestion let me know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:53 am

Update. As of earlier this morning he is still alive. the scuff on his eye seems to be clearing up pretty quick. the others look like they may take a little longer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:53 am

I don't like it at all when things like that happen. It always seems to happen to a fish that I have high hopes. I would wait and see what happens. It may recover just fine but it may also show some scars. I try to keep my focus on the tank not the fish. I'm not big on pharmaceuticals but I do try keep some MelaFix handy for stuff like this. I buy the pond strength and dilute it as necessary to save money. I always like to do a water change a couple of days after adding stuff like MelaFix. Good luck on the fish. It seems to be a fighter...Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:51 am

Thanks. he was still upright as of this morning before i came to work. his one pectoral fin looks pretty banged up, which seems to be one of his biggest issues with movement right now. I will see if i can get a picture of it. The good news in my thinking is that he has started to eat a little bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:31 am

Here is a picture of the angelfish with the buggered pectoral fin and loosing his stuff Saturday night.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:32 pm

Good looking fish. Hope he makes a full recovery.

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:55 am

i picked up some melafix yesterday and dosed the tank. I'm hoping that will help him recover faster. He seems to be doing ok just moving slow. He is still eating but just small amounts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:01 pm

Melafix is a good product and good for scrapes and scuffs like this. Some say it's old-fashioned and doesn't help, but I think it does. Follow the package directions.

Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:26 pm

Pimafix, another product by API, is useful for fungal infections.

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:48 pm

The melafix seems to be working very well. I used it for the first time last night and his fin is looking way better then it did yesterday
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:14 am

That's some nice photography. I can clearly see what you are talking about. I'm happy you are seeing some positive results. I always keep some Pimafix handy too... Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:59 pm

Ok I have a question about my 40g setup. So over the past month my ph has tanked. It's sitting at around 6.0 right now. I have lost nearly all of my cories because of it from what I can tell. The rest of my water parameters are doing very well. The only thing I can figure is the co2 system has made the ph do this. What can I do to get the ph back to something closer to 7.0? I bought some crushed coral at my LFS. I bought about 2 lbs and a AQ filter bag to put it in. From what I have Googled that should help some right. I guess I have more than one question.
1. Could the co2 system be my ph issue. Should I just turn it off and using something like flurish excel?
2. Is crushed coral a good ph buffer?
3. If yes 2 question 2 how much should I use?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:40 pm

What is your KH & GH?

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:17 am

I'm not sure what the KH and GH are. I have a test kit on order but it hasnt arrived yet. I need to take some water by the LFS but havent had time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   

Back to top Go down

40g Breeder build

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-