Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

40g Breeder build

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: 40g Breeder build   Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi guys. I have said I was going to start a thread about my 40g Breeder build. So here it is. Just a warning it will have a couple pictures from through out the build.

The first picture is of the stand being built but not completely finished. It still needs a couple leg supports added. Which you will see in a couple photos later.
Also sorry this photo is a little blurry. i was using my old phone to take this one.

The next couple of photos are from the stand "skinning" process. You can see the extra support legs from the via from the back of the stand. You can also see I added a floor to the bottom as well.

the cabinet door.

you can also see the purplish pink foam insulation sheeting I'm using to help level the tank once it's filled with water.

In this photo you can see the cabinet door supports 2x2s in place before i cut the skin out for the door to be installed.

Here is a photo of one of the lights I'm going to use on this setup. I have 3 of them they are 20W LED outdoor flood lights. I think I may have too much light for this setup. But i will only use as many as I need in the end. I can always use them for something else. I think I paid $45 for all 3 of them shipped from Amazon.

Next is the starting of my hood build.

Here is a little bit of a closer view of the hood. You can also see the wood that will go into the tank as well as the egg crate to support the rocks I will use in the setup as well.

here is another closeup if the hood from the inside.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:43 pm

If I keep my KH close to 40-60ppm and the GH above 140-160ppm, pH crashes are less likely. But CO2 injection adds a dynamic I know nothing about. BTW, sorry about the loss of your fish.

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:37 am

My wife took my water into be tested against my tests at home. Not sure whats going on with my testing stuff shipment. My KH was 0 and my PH was still at 6. The rest of my water levels were ok. Is there a natural way to bump up the KH or should I just plan to put stuff in the tank to keep it up around 50ppm? My wife brought home some powdered stuff for me to use that the LFS recommended but i havent had time to research it yet. I pretty sure i could boost my PH with crushed coral but i dont want to try that and add something else for KH that could boost the PH at the same time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:08 pm

Baking soda will raise both KH and pH. Google for dosing. 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons H20 I believe. What did the LFS give your wife? Seachem's Alkaline Buffer works well raising pH and KH. Offhand, I think crushed coral raises pH and KH. What does it do to plants? Baking soda, is it harmful to plants? Questions, questions. Oh yeah, does CO2 injection lower pH? What is your GH?

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:29 pm

for my 40g tank the pH is 6 and the KH is 0. My wife couldn't remember what the GH is but seemed to think it is also at 0 or very close to that. I did some reading and from what I gather the crushed coral should raise my KH which should also raise my pH since its a kind of buffer. So I'm not sure I need to add the crushed coral and the stuff she brought home. I dont think it is a Seachem product. I will take a look at it this evening when i get home from work. I will start out adding a small bag of the crushed coral to my filter and check my pH in a day or so. I also bought a second AQ70 to put on this tank. Anyone think this is overkill? I got it on sale for the same price as a AQ50.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:08 pm

An AC70 would be overkill on the average 40g planted aquarium IMO. Too much flow. I had a AC50 on my 29g and it was too much for the plants. The aquarium now has an AC30. All is well. Of course, I am sure there are some plants that prefer a little current. Bolbitis for example. How about those James River Vals? Just thinking...too much.

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:47 am

I added the second filter to the tank. Its probably overkill but it actually settled the water turbulence down some in the tank. I'm not running them at full throttle either. I figure with 2 I should be ok to slow them down. I also added the crushed coral which seemed to help with the PH levels tanking. I tested over a couple of days and it has seemed to level out at around 7.4 which is a lot better then the 6.0. The fish seem to be much more active now. I will keep a eye on the tank to see how it goes over the next few weeks. I'm hoping it stays settled down and happy. I would like to be able to put some cories back into the tank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:41 pm

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Did the crushed coral raise your KH and GH?

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:32 pm

I wasn't able to check them. I figured out why i hadn't gotten my test kit. It was a "add on" item on amazon so it didn't get purchased like I thought. It's now on its way since I ordered a Cisco book for one of my classes for school. But I would assume it did raise the KH and GH. Everything I have looked at says it should do that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:07 am

Are you using any sort of drop checker??? If you are having ph issues it could be that you are injecting too much co2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:17 am

it runs at around 1 bubble every 2 seconds and only while the lights are on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:18 pm

KH is 71 and GH is 107 according to the api test kit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:15 am

Tank update. The water has settled into a nice place. the fish and plants are very happy. The 2 AC70s are working very nicely. My water has never been so clear. I was afraid of having to much water flow with the 2 filters but it has evened the turbulence out in the tank. I was also able to add a huge sword plant into the tank. I may have paid way to much for it but its a beautiful plant and works very nicely as a focal point in the tank background.( i will try to get a picture posted soon.) The bad part is I finally got my wife to take notice of the tank and she agrees i should upgrade to a 65g from the 40g since its "a little short". So at some point now that the tank is running nicely I will be pulling it out to upgrade the size. I may also do a dirted bottom tank when i go to the 65g. I would love to hear peoples thoughts on a dirted 65g.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:27 am

" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:18 am

I love this tank. It and your choices have evolved beautifully. Tanks never stay the same. They are always changing. It's one of the things I like about this hobby. I can't comment on dirt substrates. I have never ran one. I will say that I don't think dirt is necessary to have a beautiful planted tank like yours...Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:49 pm

here is updated picture of my 40g tank after i added all the new plants out of my 5g experimental dirt bottom tank that i had on my back deck." />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:01 pm

Love the aquarium. The neons in the foreground look great. What plants did you add?

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:15 pm

I added the wisteria on the far right, some more of the grass in the center front, and some other plant I'm not sure the name of. I got it as a small sprig with another plant I had bought. It grew into a really nice looking plant. It's the really tall stuff on the center right of the tank with the small light pink leaves
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:38 am

Here is a updated photo of my setup after a little rescaping i did last night. I'm in the process of breaking down my 20g setup. I'm trying to make room for some of my plants out of that setup. I have transferred all of my fish from that tank to this 40g setup. Sometime this summer I will be upgraded this tank to a 65g dirt bottom setup.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:50 pm

@cholt, It's looking good, Chris! ThumbsUp I took a few minutes just now to refresh my memory of this tank. It has an interesting history.
Are you still using CO2?
What livestock do you keep these days?

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:42 pm

I am still using co2 in this tank. I'm actually still on my 1st 24oz co2 tank. Right now I have approx. 18 tetras( glowlight, black, and normal neons), a pair of angels, 1 male german blue ram, 1 pair of bristlenose plecos( large male and a small female), 1 oto, and about 8 to 10 cories( panda, peppered, and another variety that I can't recall the name of). I need to get some more otos, cories, and a female gbr at some point. But I want to upgrade this to a 65 and do a dirt bottom setup. But it will be awhile before I get around to that with school and work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:30 pm

I picked up a 3 peppered and 2 other cories today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   

Back to top Go down

40g Breeder build

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 10 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-