Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

40g Breeder build

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: 40g Breeder build   Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi guys. I have said I was going to start a thread about my 40g Breeder build. So here it is. Just a warning it will have a couple pictures from through out the build.

The first picture is of the stand being built but not completely finished. It still needs a couple leg supports added. Which you will see in a couple photos later.
Also sorry this photo is a little blurry. i was using my old phone to take this one.

The next couple of photos are from the stand "skinning" process. You can see the extra support legs from the via from the back of the stand. You can also see I added a floor to the bottom as well.

the cabinet door.

you can also see the purplish pink foam insulation sheeting I'm using to help level the tank once it's filled with water.

In this photo you can see the cabinet door supports 2x2s in place before i cut the skin out for the door to be installed.

Here is a photo of one of the lights I'm going to use on this setup. I have 3 of them they are 20W LED outdoor flood lights. I think I may have too much light for this setup. But i will only use as many as I need in the end. I can always use them for something else. I think I paid $45 for all 3 of them shipped from Amazon.

Next is the starting of my hood build.

Here is a little bit of a closer view of the hood. You can also see the wood that will go into the tank as well as the egg crate to support the rocks I will use in the setup as well.

here is another closeup if the hood from the inside.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:49 pm

Ok. I think I have my fish list ready for this tank. I just need peoples opinion on qty of fish per variety. other suggestions are welcome. as you can see from my list and the previous photos this is a planted SA tank. Would also like to know peoples suggestions on what order to add the fish in.
Angelfish
Green Cory
Panda Cory
Juli Cory
Pygmy Cory
one other variety of Cory
Female guppies from my 20g
Neon Tetras
Otos
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:11 pm

The only thing I can comment about with any certainty is that you'll need to either get a proven angelfish pair, or get 5 or 6 very young ones and wait for them to pair off. They WILL pair off, and the pair will make life miserable for the rest, and you'll need to remove the extras.

As for the cories, Deb will likely step in here, but, in general, the more the merrier. I believe you have nice soft sand for them.

I'd get a good 12-pack of neons, and a half-dozen of the guppies, or really whatever you like.

How will you cycle the tank (apologies if I missed that part!)

View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:34 pm

I started the water off with a water change from my 20g, squeezing out my 20g prefilter into the 40g and the quilting batting from my 20g AC filter as well. And I have been putting a couple flakes of fish food in the tank. As of last night the tank is sitting with a small amount of ammonia, nitrites are at 0, nitrates are around 5 to 10 ppm, and the ph is around 6.6 with the diy co2 reactor running but usually sits at around 7.1 without co2. Was thinking of moving the female guppies in tonight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:35 pm

@cholt wrote:
Ok. I think I have my fish list ready for this tank. I just need peoples opinion on qty of fish per variety. other suggestions are welcome. as you can see from my list and the previous photos this is a planted SA tank. Would also like to know peoples suggestions on what order to add the fish in.
Angelfish
Green Cory
Panda Cory
Juli Cory
Pygmy Cory
one other variety of Cory
Female guppies from my 20g
Neon Tetras
Otos

You have made some nice choices. Neons go well with Angelfish but make sure they are larger than the Angelfish mouths. I noticed that you have listed several varieties of Cory and there is nothing wrong with that, if it is your focus. I keep Bristlenose Plecos for utility. They do an excellent job eating Algae. The female Guppies will work well but I would not expect any fry to survive the Angel's appetites. I have male Guppies in with my Angels too. They add color to the tank and to keep the females pregnant. The Angels love the fry as snacks. There are other fish that will do well in a SA tank. Rams for one are peaceful, plant friendly and colorful. They do require excellent water quality but that should not be a problem for you... Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:06 pm

Ok. I set my list out and was thinking about numbers for each. Below is what I'm thinking. please let me know what yall think for numbers. I have also toyed with a BN pleco. Just not sure if it will out grow my tank. Also could use some suggestions on when to put which ones in. that is my second list below.

qty list
5 small Angelfish and removing the ones that dont pair off
3 Green Cory may not add these to this tank. may add these to my 20g later.
3 Panda Cory
3 Juli Cory
3-5 Pygmy Cory
3 one other variety of Cory (cant remember the name. But LFS has this variety)
4-6 Female guppies from my 20g.
12-15 Neon Tetras
6-8 Otos

week list
week1 Female guppies from my 20g
week2 Pygmy Cory
week3 Panda Cory
week4 Juli Cory
week5 one other variety of Cory
week6 Green Cory
week7 Neon Tetras
week8 Otos
week9 Angelfish

Last edited by cholt on Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:30 pm

The female guppy is a good start. Are the green cories - Brochis splendens? Those might be a good option for the next fish to add. The pandas are pretty hardy - so adding them early should work. With the exception of the Otos you can probably be more aggressive in adding fish if you are seeding with filters from other tanks.

I think 2 months is probably good for the Otos - partially because they are sensitive, but mainly so a little algae can get established from them to nibble on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:39 pm

The LFS call them green. I would guess they're the Brochis splendens variety. I would need to take a closer look at them to be sure and probably people on here as well. But my wife just called to tell me she is on the way home with 5 pygmies, 3 pandas and 3 Julii cories for my setup. So there will be a couple bags floating in my tank shortly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:17 pm

I just left the store at 8:00pm after getting a call from the boss. Smile I was looking for some new FW fish but nothing this week so far.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:01 pm

@cholt wrote:
The LFS call them green. I would guess they're the Brochis splendens variety. I would need to take a closer look at them to be sure and probably people on here as well. But my wife just called to tell me she is on the way home with 5 pygmies, 3 pandas and 3 Julii cories for my setup. So there will be a couple bags floating in my tank shortly.

The excitement is contagious... bounce

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:23 pm

Nick I'm going to guess you and Morgan were there at the same time or yall just missed one another..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:22 am

here is a couple photos from last nights tank update.
the first is a picture of the plant growth since last friday. those roots were maybe 1/4" now they are at least 4" long.

here are a couple of the habrosus pygmy corydoras my wife got me. The interesting thing i found out about these little guys is that they are schooling up with the other 2 larger varieties cories.

here are a couple of the Panda cories my wife got me.

Here are a couple of the Julii cories my wife got me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:09 am

Brochis splendens - if that is what your LFS means - will become a large and hefty fish and IMO 6 will be too many for your 40.  Since your wife has very nicely gotten you some starter corys, why not build bigger schools of each?  

In the 40 you could have as many as 11-15 habrosus corys, 9-11 pandas, and 9-ish trilineatus.  The pandas and the tris are medium size, while the habbies are much smaller.  Although, a full-grown female C. habrosus is rather larger than most would think; she's about the size of a fat cigarette end.  

Anyway, that is what I would do, I would build those groups up a few corys at a time and let them all settle in for a few weeks.  After several months have gone by, and all are doing well, you could add maybe two of the Brochis, if you still want them.  

Also, IMO I would not add the guppies until you have some other fish besides corys in there.  My concern is that the guppies will "harrass" the corys, pick on their whiskers and generally be an irritant.  It would be better to add the neons - seven to start with, as you say in your stocking list, and then in groups of 5 to 7 to get an ultimate group of about 30.  

Many say their bigger angelfish eat neon tetras so you may want to let the neons settle in and get as big as they can be before adding angelfish.  Or you may want to stock cardinal tetras, instead.  There are many tetra choices.        

@ IMO "Green cory" is a very poor nickname, and I wish the stores wouldn't use it.  At PetSmart it means "Brochis splendens" which is closely related to Corydoras.  Maybe this is why PAW is using it.  It is not really known on the catfish websites and I find it very confusing.

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:25 am

Deb thanks for the input.
here is my updated list. Are my groups to small? (trust me I don't mind adding more cories. They are why this tank was built.)
After a little reading I'm leaning towards not adding the "green" cories.

qty of fish list
3 Panda Cory
3 Juli Cory
3-5 Pygmy Cory
3 one other variety of Cory (cant remember the name. But LFS has this variety)
12-15 Neon Tetras
6-8 Otos

what week I add the fish list
1st week 4 Female guppies from my 20g(Done before wife surprised me with new fish)
1st week 5 Pygmy Cory(added already)
1st week 3 Panda Cory(added already)
1st week 3 Juli Cory(added already)
2nd week 3 of the other variety of Cory
2nd week 5-7 Neon Tetras
3rd week 5-7 Neon Tetras
4th week 5-7 Neon Tetras
7th week 5 small Angelfish
8th week 6-8 Otos
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:23 am

The order you show for adding the fish looks good to me.  Keep an eye on the guppies!  You may want to increase the time between additions, keep an eye on it as you go along. Very Happy  

When it comes to groups of corys you will get different answers, depending on how much of a "cory nut" the person is.  In the case of your tank and your proposed stocking, many would say do not have so many small groups of different species.  The larger the groups the better, is what you will pretty much hear.  In your size tank, many would suggest one, or at the most two, different species and, if two, select two that occur in the same locale in the wild.  

That said, I do happen to think you should bring each distinct species group up to at least 5, but OTOH do not object to a few different species in one tank.  In the aquarium, corys are so removed from what is a natural environment for them that any sort of "schooling" is limited to what they might do if they are frightened.  In normal and healthy aquarium conditions, they will spend the day roaming around the tank, climbing up the sides to assess dimensions, and rooting around in the sand for treats.  If they "school" or closely associate, it will be coincidence.  However, it is well-known that corys prefer to associate with those of their own kind, so having a few of each species is a good thing to do.  

Some hobbyists fear hybridization of species, so they keep only one species per tank or species that occur together in the wild.  Panda corys are known to hybridize with other cory species.  Keeping at least 5 pandas will help prevent this, but more is better, like the 9-11 I mentioned above. Wink

Chris, much of this is going to be up to you and how you regard Corydoras.  You will hear something much different from those who only keep corys to "clean up the leftover food."

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:32 am

thank you for the your input Deb. I dont think I will have much luck having any species fry in this tank once its stocked. So I'm not to worried about the hybridizing. If i decide to breed some that would be another tank tongue which my wife would more than likely say no too or she would say where do you plan on putting that one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:57 pm

Deb if I read what you were saying correctly you would suggest numbers more along some thing like below.

5-11 Panda Cory
5 Juli Cory
11-15 Pygmy Cory
5 one other variety of Cory (cant remember the name. But LFS has this variety)
25-30 Neon Tetras
6-8 Otos
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:20 am

A CORY tank - very awesome....

Deb has provided some great advice.

A few months ago Azalea Aquariums had a group of Agassiz's Cories about 8-9 of them together and they were the most playful cories I've ever seen. They were bouncing and swimming all over the tank - not sure if it was because they were in perfect tank conditions OR it's the species in general OR both!...

You don't see them that frequently, but that might be a species to keep an eye on if you are in no rush.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:58 pm

@cholt wrote:
5-11 Panda Cory
5 Juli Cory
11-15 Pygmy Cory
5 one other variety of Cory (cant remember the name. But LFS has this variety)
25-30 Neon Tetras
6-8 Otos

Chris, this is about right.  At least 5 corys per group or more if you can swing it.  All of the species you've named are relatively small so you can have more in a 40.  Earlier I suggested:
11-15 habrosus corys
9-11 pandas
9 trilineatus  
because I prefer the larger group and IMO your 40 could handle it.   

Your "julii" corys are more than likely not real julii but C. trilineatus, a very nice cory which stays medium sized.  I'd like to find more of these, myself.  Haven't seen any lately.      

C. agassizii gets bigger than the other corys you've listed, so it might be a nice addition for size contrast, later on.  It is also masked, like the panda - just a consideration to note about appearance.  

Do you know what the other cory at your LFS is?  Can you describe it?     

As usual, add the otos last, as you've noted.  One per five gallons makes 6-8 perfect.  Add three at a time and wait three weeks between additions.

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:13 pm

Deb,

PAW has "Julii", tank raised sterbai, albino, "green", the pygmy habrosus, and pandas. i know they have had "peppered", skunk, and the agassisii in the past. I'm thinking of altering my neon tetras with another tetra variety possibly.

Chris
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:59 pm

Deb are you looking for the trilineatus or the julii? I can keep a look out for either at PAW if you would like and let you know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:53 pm

Johnny what kinda rams were you talking about? I looked for some at PAW but haven't found any as of yet to look at.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:04 am

@cholt wrote:
Deb are you looking for the trilineatus or the julii? I can keep a look out for either at PAW if you would like and let you know.

Thanks.  I meant I was looking for a group of young trilineatus to add to my aging group, which has dwindled down to two. Crying or Very sad  PAW is two hours from me so I don't anticipate being able to stop in any time soon.

However, I am surprised that PAW has authentic  C. julii, as these are very rarely seen in the LFS, and very difficult to obtain from the natural habitat.

Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:07 am

What other Cory is sold as a julii and how can you know the difference?

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:10 am

Deb. I did some more internet poking around. they are trilineatus "false Julii" and not true Julii.

Chris
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:16 am

@cholt wrote:
Deb. I did some more internet poking around. they are trilineatus "false Julii" and not true Julii.

Chris

That is definitely more what we'd expect. I love the tris, though!

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   

Back to top Go down

40g Breeder build

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-