Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

40g Breeder build

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: 40g Breeder build   Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi guys. I have said I was going to start a thread about my 40g Breeder build. So here it is. Just a warning it will have a couple pictures from through out the build.

The first picture is of the stand being built but not completely finished. It still needs a couple leg supports added. Which you will see in a couple photos later.
Also sorry this photo is a little blurry. i was using my old phone to take this one.

The next couple of photos are from the stand "skinning" process. You can see the extra support legs from the via from the back of the stand. You can also see I added a floor to the bottom as well.

the cabinet door.

you can also see the purplish pink foam insulation sheeting I'm using to help level the tank once it's filled with water.

In this photo you can see the cabinet door supports 2x2s in place before i cut the skin out for the door to be installed.

Here is a photo of one of the lights I'm going to use on this setup. I have 3 of them they are 20W LED outdoor flood lights. I think I may have too much light for this setup. But i will only use as many as I need in the end. I can always use them for something else. I think I paid $45 for all 3 of them shipped from Amazon.

Next is the starting of my hood build.

Here is a little bit of a closer view of the hood. You can also see the wood that will go into the tank as well as the egg crate to support the rocks I will use in the setup as well.

here is another closeup if the hood from the inside.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:17 am

Nick,

from what i have found reading stuff on the internet and info from Deb. the trilineatus "false Julii" are much more common and labeled more often than not incorrectly. they way to tell are the lines running down the side of the cory's body. The true Julii doesn't have that and are much more rare to get in a LFS.

chris
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:28 am

I must also have the trilineaus since I purchased my "juliis" from PAW.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:32 am

Yup that would be my guess. they are still very cool little guys just mislabeled.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:11 pm

OK I have a question for the cory fans.. I have some Pygmy Habrosus Cories but I have one that doesn't look like the others. In the photo the Habrosus is on the left but I'm not sure about the one on the right.

" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:33 pm

I think I figured it out. the one on the right is a Corydoras Pygmaeus.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:01 am

@cholt wrote:
I think I figured it out. the one on the right is a Corydoras Pygmaeus.
Yes, that definitely looks like a pygmaeus.  How did he get mixed up in there? *lol*  Now that you have one, you might try to get a few more, so as to have two distinct groups of "pygmy" corys - habrosus and pygmaeus.  

The trilineatus corys are very nice, I love the overall pattern and the fact that they don't have a mask.  My group was wild-caught from the Rio Ucayali and has a light, open spot/lines pattern.  Some of the ones for sale in the last few years have had a denser pattern, which I didn't like as much.  Lately, though, as I said, I don't see them at all, around here.

Chris do you know if PAW ships?

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:59 am

Deb,

I can ask today while I'm there. I was planning on going by after my exam today. If i can get some more of the different pygmies I might do that. Right now i have 8 habrosus and 1 pygmaeus for the little guys.

Chris
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:00 pm

Deb. I forgot to ask PAW about shipping but you might want to talk to NickB as I ran into him while at PAW today. I am updating my fish list for this tank slightly. See below. Please comment if anyone sees any issue with this setup. I'm thinking of getting a second pair of German Blue Rams. Would this be a bad idea?

5 small Angelfish and removing the ones that dont pair off.
2 German Blue Rams (got today 1M+1F)
5-11 Panda Cory(6 already and hopefully 5 more on Sunday)
5 Juli Cory(5 already)
8-11  Habrosus Pygmy Cory(8 already)
4-5  Pygmaeus Cory(1 already and if they become available at LFS)
5 one other variety of Cory (cant remember the name. But LFS has this variety)
4-6 Female guppies from my 20g.
15-18 Neon Tetras
7 glow light Tetras
7 peppermint Tetras or black neon Tetras
6-8 Otos
1 BNP (maybe???)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:59 am

tank/fish list update. Big thanks to NickB for the getting the additions to the tank from the PVAS auction for me!!!!!

What I have in the tank now.
4 German Blue Rams (2M+2F)
11 Panda Cory(6 already and 5 more from PVAS auction)
5 Juli Cory
8 Habrosus Pygmy Cory(may add a couple more later)
6  Pygmaeus Cory(1 already and 5 from PVAS auction)
4-6 Female guppies from my 20g.
4 glow light Tetras
1 neon Tetra

What I plan on adding later.
5 small Angelfish and removing the ones that dont pair off or adding a 1 pair.
5 one other variety of Cory (cant remember the name. But LFS has this variety)
14-18 Neon Tetras
4 glow light Tetras
7 peppermint Tetras or black neon Tetras
6-8 Otos
1 BNP (maybe???)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:50 pm

I can only imagine how thrilled you were to get those additional corys from the auction!!! cheers to Nick B, and to all who help other hobbyists this way.  That's what we're all about!  

It looks like you went ahead with the second M/F pair of GBRs.  I hope someone will comment soon on how the rams and the angels will work out together, if both species decide to protect eggs.  

As to your other fish, you have a good amount of corys now and decent size groups.  Let the whole tank settle in for a while, say three weeks.  You have added a good many fish quickly, which can work out fine but just IMO let the tank have a break for a while.  

One exception would be if you come across a few more neons, I'd add them now to give the single some mates.  It's not strictly necessary, as the lone neon is not at risk atm but just the same ...

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:00 pm

@Deb wrote:
I can only imagine how thrilled you were to get those additional corys from the auction!!! cheers to Nick B, and to all who help other hobbyists this way.  That's what we're all about!  

It looks like you went ahead with the second M/F pair of GBRs.  I hope someone will comment soon on how the rams and the angels will work out together, if both species decide to protect eggs.  

As to your other fish, you have a good amount of corys now and decent size groups.  Let the whole tank settle in for a while, say three weeks.  You have added a good many fish quickly, which can work out fine but just IMO let the tank have a break for a while.  

One exception would be if you come across a few more neons, I'd add them now to give the single some mates.  It's not strictly necessary, as the lone neon is not at risk atm but just the same ...

Good job Deb! hee hee!

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:28 pm

So I get home tonight from a trip to Roanoke and check my tanks. To find one of my pairs of GBRs I got on Friday afternoon spawning as I type this message.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:06 pm

@cholt wrote:
So I get home tonight from a trip to Roanoke and check my tanks. To find one of my pairs of GBRs I got on Friday afternoon spawning as I type this message.....

That is AWESOME!!!!!!

clapping clapping clapping clapping

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:36 pm

@cholt wrote:
Congrats!!! cheers
It's too cool... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:55 pm

I'm doubting the eggs will make it through the night with all the other fish in the tank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:46 pm

@cholt wrote:
I'm doubting the eggs will make it through the night with all the other fish in the tank.

Congrats are still due... clapping
You got eggs!. You had an opportunity to observe their breeding behavior. Although I have kept German Blue Rams I have never had any to pair off. Enjoy!!!

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~

Last edited by JohnnyAMH on Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:41 am

I checked the tank this morning an the GBR pair were still tending the spawning area from what I could tell. I didn't turn the tank lights on just the lights in the room so I couldn't see any eggs. But they are very hard to see anyway since I have pool filter sand as substrate and the eggs are the same color and size plus were they decided to spawn at. Back in the jungle vals behind the spider wood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:15 pm

Just checked the tank this evening for the first time. The pair are still guarding the spawning area. I think I can see a couple eggs still sitting there. But I also noticed my seconds pairs female belly starting to darken up a little bit. So who knows they may spawn sooner than later as well.

Edit: I also noticed it looks like one of my cories decided it would lay eggs as well. But the eggs have been eaten. Just the tell tell signs of the eggs being laid on the tank glass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:40 am

If I had German Blue Rams spawning in my tank, I would forget about adding Angelfish. I would just work the Rams... Laughing

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:35 am

Tank update. No more GBR eggs in the tank. The eggs were eaten by the other inhabitants of the tank it would seem. I don't believe my second less dominant pair of GBRs have spawned yet.
My plants are growing like crazy. Already had to redirect the Jungle Vals new growth in a couple of places and trim the Ludwigia and Wisteria.
I may need to change my rock formation a little on the one side of the tank to create another "cave" area for the cories to hide since all of them can not fit in the little area in the spider wood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:35 pm

@cholt wrote:
  Tank update. No more GBR eggs in the tank. The eggs were eaten by the other inhabitants of the tank it would seem. I don't believe my second less dominant pair of GBRs have spawned yet.
  My plants are growing like crazy. Already had to redirect the Jungle Vals new growth in a couple of places and trim the Ludwigia and Wisteria.
  I may need to change my rock formation a little on the one side of the tank to create another "cave" area for the cories to hide since all of them can not fit in the little area in the spider wood.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of the eggs but I hope it's a sign of good things to come. Pairs aren't that easy to come by and you have two. I'm happy that your plant growth is meeting your expectations. I love planted tanks. Enjoy!!! Laughing

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:12 am

got to watch one of my female guppies drop fry last night in this tank. I'm pretty sure the GBRs and other female guppies in the tank probably ate most of them by this morning. I will see if any made it when i get home from work today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:17 pm

Tank from Apr 4th
" />

As of today
Back to top Go down
View user profile
verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:46 am

It looks great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:05 am

@cholt wrote:
 Did you do this yet?  The rocks look somewhat differently placed but similar to before.  Can you get two more rocks the same size as the one to the left of the spider wood, the one to the left and back of it?  If you could, then you could group each one with two medium rocks to make two trios, and place one trio in front of the spider wood (not directly in front, you'd have to play with it) and one over on the other side, in front of the "big" rock, but leave room between them.  The trios would act as caves.    

On the whole, it's looking very well!  I like the way that mid-background plant has grown in. ThumbsUp

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 40g Breeder build   

Back to top Go down

40g Breeder build

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-