Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Help -- Bristlenose Eggs - - What do I do?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Help -- Bristlenose Eggs - - What do I do?   Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

I had a call today from my wife while at work.  I had asked her to turn on the lights to our 55g community/plant tank after lunch.  When she did, one of the bristlenose catfish was laying on top of a pile of eggs.  She was concerned about them (eggs) since the tetras started harassing the bristlenose.  I asked her to turn the light back off.  My question is ... What do I do to save and try to raise these eggs up to fry?  This tank has many other fish...corys, black neons, L200 catfish, and peppermint tetras.  I do have an empty 55g, 29g, and 10g.  Thanks.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Help -- Bristlenose Eggs - - What do I do?   Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:16 am

That depends on who the "community" is and how well the parents can keep them banished to the far side of the tank. But usually no - once the fry start swimming the other fish will dash in and eat them. Vacuum them out while they're wrigglers, or remove all the other fish if you want to save these fry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Help -- Bristlenose Eggs - - What do I do?   Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:22 am

Nick. I have seen videos of people using the little boxes like they use to put the fish in when you buy them at the LFS just hooked on the inside of the tank with more water in them so they dont float away and put the wigglers in that with a air stoned air supply and the overall tanks body of water regulated the "little tanks" temp.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Help -- Bristlenose Eggs - - What do I do?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:50 am

I'm definitely going to have to do something different if I want to successfully get wrigglers. When I got home yesterday, the eggs were all gone.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Help -- Bristlenose Eggs - - What do I do?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:58 pm

i know Petco is doing a dollar per gallon again right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Help -- Bristlenose Eggs - - What do I do?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:03 pm

you might be able to do something like this video i watched for cories with the angels. you will have to watch most of the parts to get what i mean. I think there are 7 parts to see the full video. the link below is for the 1st part. you can prob skip to the last couple of videos in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvVB9BuOrDs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Help -- Bristlenose Eggs - - What do I do?   Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:34 pm

Nick_B wrote:
Found this today when I went to feed my fish...
“Picture omitted”
Not in the picture, but I had placed a flat rock vertically near this heater cord.  I guess fish will spawn where they want to, not necessarily the place I provide.  I'm curious if anyone has gotten eggs laid in a community tank to a free-swimming state.  If so, how?
Nick_B wrote:
I'm definitely going to have to do something different if I want to successfully get wrigglers.  When I got home yesterday, the eggs were all gone.

Congrats on the spawn! It’s very likely that your Angles will spawn again soon. You may find that the odds of getting a spawn to a wiggling stage of development in a Community tank are not very good. It is possible to harvest eggs from a Community tank and incubate them elsewhere. The tricky part involved in artificial hatching is the prevention of bacterial and fungus infestation. It is done routinely. I harvested the spawn I’m growing out now as eggs.

Harvesting Wigglers produces the highest rate of success for me. The pairs I’m most interested in breeding are kept in tanks by themselves. The parents routinely care for the eggs until they are Wigglers and are almost free swimming. It saves a lot of time, effort and meds when the parents are allowed nurture the eggs to hatching. None of my Angelfish have parent raised recently but I have witnessed it.

Angelfish can produce a lot of fry. Get the BBS ready… too much!

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help -- Bristlenose Eggs - - What do I do?   

Back to top Go down

Help -- Bristlenose Eggs - - What do I do?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Breeding-