Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

HOW does CO2 Suppress Algae?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: HOW does CO2 Suppress Algae?   Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:55 pm

Just curious -- Does anybody know HOW adding supplemental CO2 suppresses growth of BBA and some other algae?  Is it entirely due to making the vascular plants more efficient competitors against the algae, or does CO2 suppress algae somehow even in the absence of higher plants?  Seems like extra CO2 should be beneficial to plants and algae alike -- what part of the puzzle am I missing?

I got wondering about CHolt's recent post and figured it would be better to start a new topic with a more descriptive title, rather than hijacking that one any farther:

http://cvas.forumotion.com/t1697-fish-suggestions-for-my-first-20g-setup

CHolt wrote:  "Right now the system makes about 2 bubbles per second into the smaller bottle in the reactor setup then I'm using a lime wood "air stone" that makes the output bubbles into the tank very hard to see they are so small. as for how long it runs per day its a constantly running system. So far from what I can tell about the less light and adding CO2. the tank seems to be running happily. the main reason for the CO2 was to combat the BBA. the system has only been running for about 2 weeks now. the plants seem to be greener if that makes sense.  The growth of the BBA seems to have stalled. But I also add some new anacharis as well to help deplete the "food" the BBA would use."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: HOW does CO2 Suppress Algae?   Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:10 pm

from what i read on the web in a couple places it seem to do with making the plants more efficient competitors. But I also add more plants to combat the BBA as well. I used Anacharis to add more plant life to my tank along side the reactor.

Chris
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: HOW does CO2 Suppress Algae?   Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:47 pm

Very interesting thread... study

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muse
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: HOW does CO2 Suppress Algae?   Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:26 am

Algae generally becomes a nuisance when there is excess nutrients sitting in the water column, along with ample lighting. This generally occurs because there is a lack of CO2, which has stalled plant growth. In this case, the CO2 has become the limiting factor, that is 'holding the plants back' so to speak. When given sufficient light, nutrients AND CO2 plant growth will literally explode.

Therefore, if you are using a fert dosing method like PPS-Pro on a daily basis, along with CO2 injection and ample lighting, the enormous growth rate of your plants will out-compete the algae for the available nutrients in the water. Your plants will literally become nutrient sponges, and they will need their daily 'fix' of ferts in order to continue their rapid rate of growth. This becomes evident when you miss a day or two of dosing and your plant leaves immediate respond with browning, wilting, etc. In this case, the nutrients have now become the limiting factor (instead of the CO2).

Additionally, because your plants are growing so quickly, it is more difficult for algae to take hold, because Algae tends to prefer old, dieing, and slow growing leaves.

Edit to add:

In the end, preventing algae is all about finding the perfect balance. Every tank is unique: the fish bio-load, how heavily the tank is planted, size, amount of light, etc. these are all pieces of a puzzle that you have to tweak slowly until you find what works for your tank. And I should probably point out, that people like Tom Barr (who subscribe to the EI dosing method) would probably argue that your plant's limiting growth factor should be the lighting rather than the nutrients. Either way, it all about finding out what works for your tank, and dialing everything in just right so that you do don't have excess nutrients in your water while your super high lights are running for 12 hours.

A good way to know if you have too much lighting for too long... is to use plants that 'open' and 'close' each day. When the plant starts to close up, that means it has had enough light and doesn't need anymore. Running your lights for longer than that is just feeding algae.

100 Gallon Planted (Philippine Blue Angels, German Blue Rams, German Gold Rams, Panda Corys, Clown Plecos, Black Skirt Tetras, Electric Blue Acaras)
55 Gallon Planted (Philippine Blue Angels, Julli Corys, BN Albino Pleco, Electric Blue Acaras)
36 Gallon Bowfront (Philippine Blue Angels, Clown Pleco, Bolivian Rams)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: HOW does CO2 Suppress Algae?   Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:31 am

Thanks Melissa. What kinds of aquatic plants open and close according to whether they need light, rather than just responding to light vs dark conditions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muse
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: HOW does CO2 Suppress Algae?   Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:12 pm

There are a lot of stem plants that will do this. I've used several varieties of rotala (rotala rotundifolia, rotala indica, rotala wallichii), as well as limnophilia aromatica, which is a pretty plant. I think some varieties of Ludwigia will do this as well, but it has been a long time since I have kept it... so I couldn't tell you which ones.

100 Gallon Planted (Philippine Blue Angels, German Blue Rams, German Gold Rams, Panda Corys, Clown Plecos, Black Skirt Tetras, Electric Blue Acaras)
55 Gallon Planted (Philippine Blue Angels, Julli Corys, BN Albino Pleco, Electric Blue Acaras)
36 Gallon Bowfront (Philippine Blue Angels, Clown Pleco, Bolivian Rams)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: HOW does CO2 Suppress Algae?   Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:38 pm

Muse wrote:
A good way to know if you have too much lighting for too long... is to use plants that 'open' and 'close' each day.

Now that is something I didn't know.  Interesting!

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: HOW does CO2 Suppress Algae?   Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:51 pm

Deb wrote:
Muse wrote:
A good way to know if you have too much lighting for too long... is to use plants that 'open' and 'close' each day.

Now that is something I didn't know.  Interesting!

Yep, I like hanging out here. I spent some time researching some of the plants mentioned in this thread... study
Thanks Melissa... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HOW does CO2 Suppress Algae?   

Back to top Go down

HOW does CO2 Suppress Algae?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Planted Tanks :: Algae Woes-