Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Future half-wild P. scalare eggs anyone?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Future half-wild P. scalare eggs anyone?   Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:20 pm

I have two breeding pairs of half wild (half domestic zebra) angels and both pairs spawn ON THE REGULAR but it is a community tank and I'm not interested in raising the babies, so they go to waste every couple of weeks.

Right now I have eggs on the background but usually they spawn on Anubias leaves, so I wanted to know if anyone wants to be notified when I have a clutch on a leaf. I can let you know when the eggs are laid and you can come by to collect the leaf, which I can snip off for you.

If anyone wants to rock it old school with their angels, or introduce a zebra gene into their program, these are the eggs for you, lol! smokin\'

Since the left-side pair is tending eggs today I'm guessing the right-side pair will lay some anywhere from 3-10 days from now, just an estimate based on past behavior.

View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Future half-wild P. scalare eggs anyone?   Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:19 am

I'm interested Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Future half-wild P. scalare eggs anyone?   Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:08 am

Ok! I'll PM you when we get the next batch.

View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Future half-wild P. scalare eggs anyone?   Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:19 pm

Come 'n get 'em..... fish

View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Future half-wild P. scalare eggs anyone?   Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:54 pm

At some time in the future, I may be interested. Right now, I have a couple of other projects in mind for the two empty tanks I have. When that time comes, should I just PM you if you still have spawning angels? Do you have any pictures available to post of the two pairs?

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Future half-wild P. scalare eggs anyone?   Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:02 pm

I'll try to get a pic or video. When I approach the tank all of the fish come RUSHING over (that's why there's nobody tending the eggs in the pic above) but if I wait a few minutes they'll go back to what they're doing.

View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Future half-wild P. scalare eggs anyone?   Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:29 pm

Here's the pair that just laid (my "right side" pair). The really sad news is that when I came up to take the pic all the fish rushed over, as usual, and an enterprising angel and a geophagus swooped in and madly started eating eggs Crying or Very sad  The pair realized this and chased them off, but about half are lost.

This pic is just after the dust settled. The male became extremely dark over his entire body, and you can still see his head is darkened from the excitement of defending the eggs. It is difficult to keep eggs around in this tank, obviously, but I usually have about a day and a half when I can get them out if laid on a leaf.

View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Future half-wild P. scalare eggs anyone?   Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:32 pm

Here's a blurry pic of the left-side female (exiting stage right) and her male tending the spawning site against the back.

Here's a pic of the left-side male (admiring his reflection)

View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Future half-wild P. scalare eggs anyone?   Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:07 am

I suggest you consider raising a spawn yourself. Every time I do so I find it fascinating... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Future half-wild P. scalare eggs anyone?   Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:29 am

Johnny, you are absolutely right! It is the most remarkable thing to watch, especially with good parents. I love to watch the eggs turn into wigglers, then free swimming, and the parents herding them around - too cute. I had an angel papa who really did not like the babies to get too far away, even though there were no other fish in the tank but the parents and the babies. He'd rush over and slurp them up, and spit them out again back where he wanted them to be. Comical and endearing! I also enjoy the mouthbrooders. Watching the tiny babies dart willingly into the mouth of their mother for safety is counter-intuitive for sure. I used to breed angels and M. festivus, as well as N. pulcher and N. leleupi, and I inadvertently had some peacocks spawn when I got a female misidentified as a male of a different species (this is a common tale, I think).

These days I've taken down most of my tanks except for the displays, and I just don't have the energy to fool with maintaining spawning tanks. I used to work at home and it was easier to look after the tanks and cull and sell the babies, and probably in the future I'll do it again, but these days I just enjoy my display tanks and let the chips fall where they may. 

I'm pretty impressed that these two angel pairs are able to lay eggs and keep them around even for two or three days in a tank like this. Now I've got two pairs of the geophagus staking out their own left and right sides, grooming flat rocks and displaying to their mates, on the bottom instead of up at the top. Should be interesting! All four quadrants utilized - yikes.

View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Future half-wild P. scalare eggs anyone?   Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:05 pm

I agree it is one of the most remarkable things to watch. It does sound like you have your tanks full... Laughing
I'm sure that just observing the breeding and spawning behavior is exciting. Good luck with the  Geophagus pairs. Maybe you will have time in the future to raise more spawns. In the mean time, ENJOY!!! Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Future half-wild P. scalare eggs anyone?   Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:43 pm

I sure am enjoying it, especially since all 4 sets of pairs seem to require a relatively small area, and they go about their business right out in the open. It has been a great learning tool for my kids and the neighborhood kids (much younger than mine). 

I took my 40g breeder and set it up for my nephew, who is an avid fisherman (he's 12) and he's keeping firemouths in there currently, waiting for them to spawn. I hope he'll get the aquarium fever, lol, and I can let HIM raise the babies for me, lol!

View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Future half-wild P. scalare eggs anyone?   Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:47 pm

Hahahha! That would be too cool... Cool
This is a wonderful hobby and worthy of sharing... Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Future half-wild P. scalare eggs anyone?   

Back to top Go down

Future half-wild P. scalare eggs anyone?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Marketplace :: For Sale, Trade, or Free-