Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Today was a good day and not just Pleco wise...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Today was a good day and not just Pleco wise...   Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:05 pm

Today was a good day Pleco wise... Smile
I hadn't had a Bristled Nose spawn in about three years. It had been years since I had a good sized male Bristled Nose. My last pair came from Wal-Mart of all places. When I purchased the pair he was obviously male, sporting whiskers and all. It was a prolific pair, producing many spawns and fry but all I saw was females. I took their numbers for granted and lost them all. I purchased many replacements but never got a male for a couple of years. Late last year I suspected that a couple of my Plecos might be male. Early this year I confirmed that I had two males in two different tanks.

I placed a huge Albino female in with the male I house in my planted Guppy/CRS tank. I noticed that the weekend before the Supper Bowl that they were hanging out in a cave together. Lately, I noticed that she has been hanging around the cave again. Today I saw a Bristled Nose fry for the first time in about three years. As if that was not enough, both of my Angelfish pairs spawned today...Cool

For some reason I see many more female Bristled Nose Plecos than males... study

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Today was a good day and not just Pleco wise...   Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:33 pm

Just a little update: Last night after my wife counted the Plecos, we have a revised count of four of the darker Plecos fry and amazingly one Albino... Very Happy

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Today was a good day and not just Pleco wise...   Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:01 pm

cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Today was a good day and not just Pleco wise...   Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:46 pm

Just a little update again:
Last night after my wife recounted the Plecos, we have a revised count of 16 of the darker Pleco fry and amazingly 4 Albinos. I not too familiar with Pleco genetics. I didn't expect to see any Albinos because I assumed Albino to be a recessive gene. Maybe the darker Pleco with the whitish spots is carrying an Albino gene. I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated...study

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Today was a good day and not just Pleco wise...   Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:25 am

@JohnnyAMH wrote:

For some reason I see many more female Bristled Nose Plecos than males...
I have noticed this as well but I haven't had many pairs to prove this myself.

@JohnnyAMH wrote:
Just a little update again:
Last night after my wife recounted the Plecos, we have a revised count of 16 of the darker Pleco fry and amazingly 4 Albinos. I not too familiar with Pleco genetics. I didn't expect to see any Albinos because I assumed Albino to be a recessive gene. Maybe the darker Pleco with the whitish spots is carrying an Albino gene. I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated...study

Albino definition-a person or animal having a congenital absence of pigment in the skin and hair (which are white) and the eyes (which are typically pink).

As far as I know and can conclude that each of your pleco parents is holding a single copy of albino gene. The Albino gene is a recessive gene meaning in lamers terms (me) that it can exist in single copy but won't show anything in the phenotype (physical look), until the fish has a 2 copy of the albino gene. When a fish holds 2 copy of the albino gene its color will look as if is washed out. It can get a little tricky to differentiate an albino sometimes but another great way to tell if a fish has an albino gene is to check their iris. A true albino will always have a red iris.

A fish with only single copy of albino gene will always be hard to tell just by looks. And most likely will have the look of its wild type. If you want to know for certain you can always try to test cross it with a wild type to find it genotype (genetic makeup). Hope that kind of helps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Today was a good day and not just Pleco wise...   Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:56 pm

Congratulations!

Any special care for the new fry or just letting the father protect? If so, then I am definitely getting a cave of some type and leaving the eggs alone with the father in the community tank.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Today was a good day and not just Pleco wise...   Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:03 pm

@Nick_B wrote:
Congratulations!

Any special care for the new fry or just letting the father protect?  If so, then I am definitely getting a cave of some type and leaving the eggs alone with the father in the community tank.

I just let the Dad do all the work. Apparently, the fry stay inside the cave until they are fully developed. I have never seen the eggs or fry with yoke sacks in my tanks. I saw your post recently of a picture of your male protecting eggs. I thought that was pretty fascinating. As for fry food, the easiest food I have found to feed fry is Spirulina flake. Mine sinks quickly. Right now, I'm feeding HBH 8 Veggie Flake.

I found this old picture that shows two of my caves. The larger cave was purchased from a store. I made the smaller cave. It's a clay flower pot saucer. I made the opening with a carpenters rasp. My Plecos prefer the smaller caves... Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Today was a good day and not just Pleco wise...   Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:54 pm

@neogeo20041 wrote:

Albino definition-a person or animal having a congenital absence of pigment in the skin and hair (which are white) and the eyes (which are typically pink).

As far as I know and can conclude that each of your pleco parents is holding a single copy of albino gene. The Albino gene is a recessive gene meaning in lamers terms (me) that it can exist in single copy but won't show anything in the phenotype (physical look), until the fish has a 2 copy of the albino gene. When a fish holds 2 copy of the albino gene its color will look as if is washed out. It can get a little tricky to differentiate an albino sometimes but another great way to tell if a fish has an albino gene is to check their iris. A true albino will always have a red iris.

A fish with only single copy of albino gene will always be hard to tell just by looks. And most likely will have the look of its wild type. If you want to know for certain you can always try to test cross it with a wild type to find it genotype (genetic makeup). Hope that kind of helps.

So far I'm seeing about 25% Albinos. I expected to see more Albinos if she is a true Albino and he carried a hidden Albino gene. I understand that there is a Bristled Nose that is blond. Mine does have pink eyes. I have seen some Blonds that do have dark eyes. I guess the bottom line is that I'm unsure of the genetics of mine.

This my first mixed pair so I'm curious. I'm assuming that more is going on than I can see and it will take another outcross with a fish with known genetics. But the truth is that I'm just happy to have some babies. I don't think I will put forth the effort to determine the exact genetics of these fish. Plecos in my tanks are algae cleaning workmen and although I enjoy watching them they are there mostly for utility...Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Today was a good day and not just Pleco wise...   Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:27 pm

@JohnnyAMH wrote:
@neogeo20041 wrote:

So far I'm seeing about 25% Albinos. I expected to see more Albinos if she is a true Albino and he carried a hidden Albino gene. I understand that there is a Bristled Nose that is blond. Mine does have pink eyes. I have seen some Blonds that do have dark eyes. I guess the bottom line is that I'm unsure of the genetics of mine.

This my first mixed pair so I'm curious. I'm assuming that more is going on than I can see and it will take another outcross with a fish with known genetics. But the truth is that I'm just happy to have some babies. I don't think I will put forth the effort to determine the exact genetics of these fish. Plecos in my tanks are algae cleaning workmen and although I enjoy watching them they are there mostly for utility...Neutral

There are few color morph of your common bristelnose plecos.

Common - wild
Albino
Blue-eyed
Super Red
Green dragon

I believe the blond ones you are referring are called blue-eyes bristelnose. My current pair is producing blue-eyed, wild & marble types. When I saw the babies for the first time I thought he was carrying an albino but I was wrong after further inspection. The more the blue-eyed matured the more obvious it became that it is not in fact an albino pleco.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Today was a good day and not just Pleco wise...   Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:23 am

@neogeo20041 wrote:

There are few color morph of your common bristelnose plecos.

Common - wild
Albino
Blue-eyed
Super Red
Green dragon

I believe the blond ones you are referring are called blue-eyes bristelnose. My current pair is producing blue-eyed, wild & marble types. When I saw the babies for the first time I thought he was carrying an albino but I was wrong after further inspection. The more the blue-eyed matured the more obvious it became that it is not in fact an albino pleco.

I think that my female is actually Albino. She defiantly has pink eyes and not the Blue(Dark) eyes. I don't have a clue about the offspring that look like they may be Albino. It's way too early to tell. It's too bad that there isn't an Genetic Calculator of Bristled Nose Plecos like those for Angelfish.

I believe there are several fish sold as Common Bristled Nose Plecos. I'm not familiar with Super Reds and Green Dragons. I'm going to try to check those out. Any links, pics or info will be greatly appreciated...study

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Today was a good day and not just Pleco wise...   Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:34 pm

I have only see green dragon in aquabid so far. I believe they are still getting around to hobbyist & wholesaler.

Green Dragon Bristelnose

The Super Red Plecos are getting more and more popular. I know Angelplus and people on aquabid sell them on regular basis. Unfortunately,  I have yet to see one in our lfs yet. So, if anyone has some extra or breeding super red bristelnose let me know.

Super Red Bristelnose
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Today was a good day and not just Pleco wise...   Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:39 pm

Thanks Neo... ThumbsUp

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Today was a good day and not just Pleco wise...   

Back to top Go down

Today was a good day and not just Pleco wise...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Breeding-