Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

snail question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: snail question   Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:08 pm

Can someone tell me what kind of snail this is? This guy seemed to have hitched a ride on the last plant purchase I did from the LFS.
" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: snail question   Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:54 am

That looks like a ramshorn snail to me. Planorba species, maybe Planorbis rubrum.
Do you like it?

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: snail question   Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:52 am

So late last night I noticed 2 other species of snails as well. Looks like I got more than I bargained for with that last plant purchase.... After looking at some pictures online this morning on the other 2 species. It looks like one variety may be malaysian trumpet snail and the other looks like it could be pond snail. So which/all of these should i worry about? I really don't want a tank full of snails. I can deal with a couple of snails but i don't want a tank full.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: snail question   Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:08 pm

Loaches help with snail control.

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: snail question   Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:46 pm

This is just IMO but I would keep the ramshorn and get rid of the MTS and the pond snails. Do it now while you can still spot them. MTS are easy to get rid of if you pick them out NOW. They are livebearing so what you see is what you have.

Pond snails lay glutinous, messy egg clutches, usually on plants. The clutch mass is very hard to remove without ruining some leaves. Take out the pond snails now - they are a pest and can grow quite large.

IMO most tanks can benefit from a few ramshorn snails and I would keep the one(s) you have. Ramshorn snails do not overrun a tank the way you might hear they do unless you OVERFEED! Otherwise, they are sweet, slow-moving residents who will gently clean your plants of debris and eat up any crumbs left over at the bottom. In a properly maintained tank, that should be zero. *lol*

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: snail question   Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:58 pm

thanks for the suggestions guys. i will remove mts and pond snails ASAP.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: snail question   

Back to top Go down

snail question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Planted Tanks :: Invertebrates-